User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2014, 05:49 AM   #16
RobbieO
Banned

Oddometer: 8,161
Wow!
You have a really good eye for photography!
RobbieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #17
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,626
Great a stuff! I took Barb ( mtngal) down the coast two years ago we hung out a a few days down there then kept going south until we were in Charleston...I think we ate our way all down the east coast and I am still trying to loose that trip from my waist Awesome camera work!

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #18
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Its mid march, and its going to be 68 degrees? Time to go ride!

TylerSC was in the southeast forum putting together a ride in Hotsprings to talk about and plan a TAT ride, somehow my Dad (scbob) got involved, and I volunteered to show them a little of our local dirt.
The plan was to get together for lunch and go for a ride Friday afternoon, So dad, Trespalacious, JayWNC, tyler, dad and I were eating on the porch when a guy rode passed on his loaded Wr250, it turned out to be Hairball29, who had ridden up from Atlanta for the weekend ride(in the COLD!) Once we finished eating, thawed out Hairball, got unloaded and geared up, it was 2 o'clock, so I decided on a quick out and back on Hurricane creek.
Hurricane is a legal forest road between maxpatch and I40, and was once a great fun rocky trail, with several good water crossings, and an abandoned school bus. Last year the Forest service decided it was time to "maintain" the road with a good size bulldozer. One decent section of the trail was closed and a new dirt road was pushed through, a lot of the rock ledges were reduced, and the school buss portion was also closed off. Luckily, the nasty winter we've had has made significant progress in unimproving the road.
I didn't get many pictures other than water crossings, because that's where the best chance of disaster lies.... a fact that I would prove to be true on Saturday!

TylerSC

SCbob

jayWNC, pulling the wheelie that didn't end quite perfectly....

and im pretty sure this is Hairball

this is what the new road section the forest service built looks like now

all in all, Hurricane went pretty well, no disasters, and a few decent miles of dirt, a little gravel, and some pretty fun twisty pavement!

35xj screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 04:59 PM
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #19
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

not sure what's going on with the pictures, but it wont let me delete them?
Old 03-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #20
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

Saturday 400psi showed up, and so did Rick and Dennis, the guys from easttnadv

(definetly not a pic of Dennis, hiding behind Rick peeing!)
these 2 guys are retired, and spend most of their time scouting, finding and linking trails. The perfect guys for showing the gang around!

we took off towards rich Mountain, and over in TN, rode down some really good gravel, and through some more water crossings, and then took off onto one of the trails they've found. We were warned that it would require some picking up of bikes to get over downed trees, so a few of the group opted to not get involved in that, and rode the bypass around
We didn't get too far before our first tree encounter

I finally used the folding saw I've had in my camelback for the last 3 years!

The next tree proved to be slightly more interesting....I hopped off my bike and walked back to the tree to get a couple pics, just in time for JayWNC's turn, not entirely sure how it happened, as he did in fact clear the tree, but something went wrong on the touch down I guess

400psi, trespalacios and Scbob watching the show...
then we spent a few minutes doing some bike retrieval!

everybody else made the log, with Dad having a pretty impressive save on the very edge,

pete, dad, and jay watching trespalacios, bang his DR650 over the log

From there we got into the ever confusing "maze" of Cocke county TN, it seems that no matter how many times I follow Dennis through that area, I end up more lost and confused than the time before! That guy knows that place better than anybody i've ever met. Then, it was off to Blacks market for a much needed sandwich and some go juice for the bikes

Next stop was the tower on snowbird. This is a neat spot. The climb up to it os steep, loose and fast, and once you pop out of the woods, you are rewarded with an unreal view! the AT also crosses right through here (and it looks like it was made for a motorcycle....)

from there, we pretty much headed back to camp , as it was time for a beer, and everybody had had a good injury free day!

now... You may hear a rumor, that I decided to bypass a perfectly good bridge in favor of riding through what appeared to be a fairly shallow, slow moving creek. This rumor may also include it being fender deep, me hitting a rock mid stream and my going down in the creek with a running bike, while EVERYBODY else watched from said bridge!
However, since nobody can produce photographic evidence of that, the wallowing in cold deep water trying to shut the bike off or me dumping the water out of my boots, it never happened

it was damn cold riding down 209 dripping wet though!

35xj screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 06:00 PM
Old 03-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #21
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 687
Here's one pic of a water crossing gone right

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:20 AM   #22
400psi
Cropdusting

Oddometer: 440
Good times!
Old 03-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #23
JayWNC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Hey Dave:

A big thanks to you, Dennis and Rick for being our tour guides for the weekend. It was a blast!

I know I get an "F" for execution on my tree jumping, but hopefully you will at least give me an "A" for effort! It's amazing how the guy in front of you can make something look so easy, then it can go so wrong when you try to do the same thing...

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed all of the riding and meeting everyone and look forward to doing it again sometime soon. Also hope to be at the Wedge on Wednesdays whenever possible over the next few months.

By the way, if you haven't heard of it before, you should all check out the website for an event called The Meltdown that is hosted by Southern Appalachian Brewery in Hendersonville on April 26th. If you can make it on that Saturday, you are guaranteed to have a great time. There will be tons of really cool vintage motorcycles on display, great beer, food and live music all day long.

Hope everyone had a safe trip home.

Jay
JayWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #24
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 687
Here's my side of the story

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #25
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,138
Looks like y'all had a good time!
Wish I coulda made that ride.

Soon...
Old 04-01-2014, 04:57 AM   #26
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

well, had planned to spend the bulk of the weekend riding, but Saturdays weather was terrible. So I accompanied my kat to work (at the wedge!) and got drunk!
Making Sunday's hike less enjoyable!

Monday was slated to be 70 and sunny! calls were made and a plan was loosely put together...

The gang met in Hartford TN for what we had planned to be a making time covering ground dual sport ride.....

In my lasynes, I had elected to leave the clapped out tires on my Husaberg. Not quite having thought through the rain and snow we had received over the last several days, the trails turned out to be a little "slick" in some spots. I REALLY need to remember to put tires on that bike!

We had a pretty good group, 5 dudes on KTM's and Husabergs, all of whom ride pretty well, we were going to cover some ground!

From Hartford, its pretty easy to slip into the woods and be on the trails in about a mile, and whenever we go in this way with new guy's we head straight up to the overlook. Some of you guys know where this is, the rest are gonna have to figure it out!

John and I found this trail by accident last summer, and then stumbled upon some unreal singletrack leading out from it. (which im also not giving directions too) it was here we found the snow.

bald trials tires are not the hot ticket in the snow either!
me

this little ribbon drops you out pretty close to one of the sketchiest fire towers i've clambered up in a while, but the view is well worth the climb.

Jon is a little scared of heights!

Until this point, we'd been making pretty good time, covering ground, then we decided to go check out another piece of singletrack. We've ridden this section before on a previous exploratory loop, and ended up dead ending and bailing down the side of the mountain on an old fire cut.
today, we figured we had 5 strong guys, we could punch right through....

well, we punched another half mile or so (its pretty tough, very) tight, very off camber, big rocks, and lots of dead fall) before we realized, that we had spent almost 3 hours on this little bit of singletrack. but its worth the work!

So the decision was made to yet again turn tail and bail out. We are going to eventually punch right through!

Time was getting a little tight, so we decided to head over into a section we knew to have a long (mile or so) wet, nasty creak bed climb, that would lead us back to an easy exit point to head to the trucks. I didn't get a single pick of it. but imagine 5 fairly competitive guys on dirt bike all trying to make a clean line up a flowing river, and you get the idea!

Out, and to the road, the hard part was over. lets cruise back to the trucks, and get a wedge beer!

Jon and I took off and figured everybody else was right behind us, we pulled over at an intersection to make sure everybody was making the turn, and waited

and waited,

and waited,

and turned around to see what was going on.

35xj screwed with this post 04-01-2014 at 04:18 PM
Old 04-01-2014, 05:56 AM   #27
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

a couple miles back, we found josh standing in the road....

note the 60 foot skid mark!
apparently, his counter shaft sprocket nit had fallen out, causing the counter shaft to pop off the splines and jam into the frame. Instantly locking up the rear wheel at 45mph, and causing, what was apparently a fairly exciting crash. Anybody familiar with old fiftienth knows its not the best surface for a slide.

We weren't able to get the chain unstuck from the frame, so we opted to pull the master link and ziptie the chain up out of the way

(note the proximity of the electric fence, which at one point I managed to lean against)
The hard work done, it was time to tow Josh to the trucks

BEER TIME!

it's not much better than a full day of riding in WNC followed by a wedge IPA!
Old 04-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #28
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

and today was going to be 75 degrees! so, out for a ride!

Dad had a friend in town from across the pond (England) so he borrowed a bike and dad rounded up his neighbor (bob) and came up to Brevard for a ride.
I decided to take them on the 215/281/107/yellow mountain loop (you guys wouldn't like it, stick to Deals Gap) Didn't take many pics today, as we kept moving at a decent clip.
the gang...

after 100 miles or so, we parted ways, they headed south back towards Greenville SC and I decided to ride a little dirt on my way home. so, back up 64/281/over to 215, and gravel into Mills river. 1206 is open, but pretty covered in debris.
I'd planned to run
FR 5000 over to the parkway, then down 151 to my house, but 5000 is CLOSED

the sign on the gate

not clear how long we should expect this closure to continue, but I dread the condition of the area once it is reopened!
Old 04-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #29
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,238
Nice RR's!
Glad you're having fun!
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:39 AM   #30
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

big girls need love too!

Its april, its 75 degrees, Kats out of town on a school field trip, and my dirt bike friends are all busy. So I guess ill have to entertain myself!

I decided I'd never ridden the parkway north of Mount Mitchell, so today was the day.

Now, the internet is an awesome thing! The park service has a great site with real time updates on closures, maps, everything. What neither the internet or the park service can do however, is to make me look at the site!

My morning began as usual, up 151, and out onto the parkway headed North! Little chilly early on the BRP! made it through the Asheville section, then, PARKWAY CLOSED!

DAMN,DAMN, DAMN! So, the detour consists of 30 miles of I-40. Not awesome. eventually, I ended up in Marion, and headed up 226A. An awesome little piece of road id would never have found if not for the closure, so, I' a silver lining kinda guy!

My first stop for the day was Linville falls. pulled into the parking lot and parked next to this!

A 4x4 sprinter!

decided to take the hike out and check out the waterfall. Pretty cool!

they have trails that lead all the way down to the bottom of the falls, looked really nice, but , it turns out, KLIM adventure pants are not awesome for hikes! so, head back to the bike.
Got back to discover the owners of the sprinter were back. Ended up hanging out for another hour or so. AWESOME French couple. He was a retired engineer from Sherco(bike company), and had designed the sprinter camper, had it built, and shipped to the US. Tis was day 5 of their 2-3 year trip around the US, mexico, and south America. I had a bite to eat, a beer and we studied the biggest Michelin map of the US I've ever seen.
If anybody sees this sprinter, stop and say hello, super cool people, and you can help add to the notes we put together on places to see in this huge country!
Back on the bike, headed north again. Always wanted to check out the Viaduct above Linville, so that was the next destination.

with the big girl

then I decided to check out the underside...

its pretty cool

time to go north again. I had initially planned to eat lunch in blowing rock, but with my belly still full from the food and beer I'd had in the sprinter, and the day getting away from me, I decided to press on.
I got up to Boone fork, and pulled out the gazeteer again. it looked like I could get over onto 221 and start to head back south, so that's what I did. Another awesome piece of road! Twisty, fun, great views, and pretty fast with no traffic!

Looking at the gazetteer, I'd seen a road marked as old 105. Appeared to be a dirt road from Jonas ridge, down around lake james and into Marion. figured I'd check it out while I was out this way.
A couple of small roads, a conversation with a local, and a diet doctor pepper, and I found what I was looking for!

35xj screwed with this post 04-13-2014 at 08:49 AM