ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2005, 04:21 PM   #1
punk OP
Dammed

Oddometer: 44
Eastern WA Singletrack Tour 9/24,25

Two day, big loop, starting in Bellingham, East on Hwy 20, Singletrack most of the way to Hwy 2 and back.

I'm riding an old DR650s with a half worn rear tire, lowest gearing possible (will slab at 60mph max) and am in no hurry. Food will be the Cinnamon Twisp bakery for brunch, trail food and hopefully we'll make it in to Chelan for dinner. Don't need to plan for the second day 'cause that is too far out to predict. Road options available but the intent of the ride is trail, trail and more trail. All welcome.

I am out of town till 9/19 and can not respond to questions till then.

Punk
Old 09-14-2005, 06:09 AM   #2
CascadeThumper
Critical Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Sounds like a great ride. That weekend is booked up for me, but....things may change...
CascadeThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:13 AM   #3
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,133
Chad, Tony, Lacey, anybody That is the first day of my vacation that I was planing on heading toward BC but it sounds like nobody is interested in doing that. We could load two bikes in my peanut truck and head over Now there is one small detail, I may take mini gs to the fair that friday, I'm still undecided.

Punk, when you get back in town post some more details. Single track conditions ect. I don't know if I will have all the armor on the bike by then, work has been real busy.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:32 AM   #4
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy
Chad, Tony, Lacey, anybody That is the first day of my vacation that I was planing on heading toward BC but it sounds like nobody is interested in doing that. We could load two bikes in my peanut truck and head over Now there is one small detail, I may take mini gs to the fair that friday, I'm still undecided.

Punk, when you get back in town post some more details. Single track conditions ect. I don't know if I will have all the armor on the bike by then, work has been real busy.

Possible.....then again I never know what is happening 12 hours out let alone that far ahead.....

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:36 AM   #5
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
Possible.....then again I never know what is happening 12 hours out let alone that far ahead.....
The day before the ride just bring me your cell phone and I will show you how to turn the ring tone off
Old 09-14-2005, 08:41 AM   #6
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy
The day before the ride just bring me your cell phone and I will show you how to turn the ring tone off

They will *still* find me.... you dont understand.....

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 10:06 PM   #7
punk OP
Dammed

Punk, when you get back in town post some more details. Single track conditions ect. I don't know if I will have all the armor on the bike by then, work has been real busy.[/QUOTE]

The condition of the singletrack varies from smooth and wide to very bumpy, skinny and steep. Some of the trails start out at around 1500' and climb to 7000' or so. There aren't many places like this where it is legal to moto in old growth or above treeline through the high alpine environment.

You can bring your bikes over in a truck but you would miss out on this being a loop ride. We will (two so far) be riding full knobbies with low gearing and we will not be flogging (60mph max) the bikes over Hwy 20 or back on Hwy 2. We will be taking some back roads to keep off the Hwys as much as possible too.

Slow and steady,
Punk
Old 09-18-2005, 08:13 AM   #8
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Punk, thanks for the info but after the damage I did to my shoulder this weekend I think I'm out.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:52 PM   #9
dirtyboy
Adrenaline junkie

Oddometer: 525
I'm interested in joining you guys. Can you could provide some more details on the planned route, start time, etc? Are you planning to grab a hotel room on Sat night?

Getting to Twisp for brunch using only singletrack and FS roads seems a bit ambitious to me, but certainly getting to Chelan from Twisp in a couple of hours is highly feasible. But I've only travelled Hwy 20 across the N Cascades, so I only know what I can tell from my maps and it's almost impossible to tell trail conditions and what's open to dirbikes. It looks like we'd have to pass thru the Pasayten Wilderness using some trails and I thought all trails there are off limits? I don't want to seem too skeptical, it's just that I want to make sure there's a solid plan before I head out into the outback with folks I've never met before...

It sounds like a great adventure!!

For a ride like this, I've got a 520EXC with an MXC tank, my range is about 100 miles. I would wear a medium sized pack with the usual essentials for a long venture into the wilderness, but no sleeping bag, tent, stove, or camping gear. I could pack that stuff if needed, but I'd prefer to travel light with plans to grab a room for the night with a warm bed and hot shower.

Cheers,
db
dirtyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 06:17 PM   #10
punk OP
Dammed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyboy
I'm interested in joining you guys. Can you could provide some more details on the planned route, start time, etc? Are you planning to grab a hotel room on Sat night?

Getting to Twisp for brunch using only singletrack and FS roads seems a bit ambitious to me, but certainly getting to Chelan from Twisp in a couple of hours is highly feasible. But I've only travelled Hwy 20 across the N Cascades, so I only know what I can tell from my maps and it's almost impossible to tell trail conditions and what's open to dirbikes. It looks like we'd have to pass thru the Pasayten Wilderness using some trails and I thought all trails there are off limits? I don't want to seem too skeptical, it's just that I want to make sure there's a solid plan before I head out into the outback with folks I've never met before...

It sounds like a great adventure!!

For a ride like this, I've got a 520EXC with an MXC tank, my range is about 100 miles. I would wear a medium sized pack with the usual essentials for a long venture into the wilderness, but no sleeping bag, tent, stove, or camping gear. I could pack that stuff if needed, but I'd prefer to travel light with plans to grab a room for the night with a warm bed and hot shower.

Cheers,
db
We'll get to Twisp on back roads and Hwy 20, no dirt roads or singletrack there. From there it's dirt to the outskirts of Chelan. I've ridden the dirt roads and trails there before and hope they are in good enough condition to pass. I don't ride in the wilderness 'cause the fine is too great. It's going to take more than a couple of hours to reach Chelan on this route. The trails here can be quite challanging on a moto and are very long.

Sat night is camping but Chelan is close to the campground (Grouse C.G. on Devil's Backbone) and we could meet up again Sun. morning. Or you can spring for the room and the rest of us will crash on your floor (kidding).

We are going in alpine style with only a pad, bag and bivy sack, no stove or anything un-nessasary like that. Just the clothes on your back, tools, spares, trail food, h2o bottle, h20 filter (you don't need to bring one of these), map, compass, cash, ID and good fortune.

Sunday's plan isn't solid. I'd like to try a route over Devil's Backbone that I've only mountain biked down. It's the Pot Peak trail and should be fun if we make it. Once on top of Devil's Backbone there is a sweet trail down into the Entiat Valley where there is a nice little store with gas and food. We'll find out way to Hwy 2 from there, sniffing out the singletrack as we go.

Your bike would be perfect and I'm guessing there will be rooms avalible in Chelan.

It is possible that we could start at noon on Fri. but Sat. morning might make more sense. No stress there, we'll just do what works best.

Punk
Old 09-18-2005, 10:43 PM   #11
dirtyboy
Adrenaline junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk
We'll get to Twisp on back roads and Hwy 20, no dirt roads or singletrack there. From there it's dirt to the outskirts of Chelan. I've ridden the dirt roads and trails there before and hope they are in good enough condition to pass. I don't ride in the wilderness 'cause the fine is too great. It's going to take more than a couple of hours to reach Chelan on this route. The trails here can be quite challanging on a moto and are very long.

Sat night is camping but Chelan is close to the campground (Grouse C.G. on Devil's Backbone) and we could meet up again Sun. morning. Or you can spring for the room and the rest of us will crash on your floor (kidding).

We are going in alpine style with only a pad, bag and bivy sack, no stove or anything un-nessasary like that. Just the clothes on your back, tools, spares, trail food, h2o bottle, h20 filter (you don't need to bring one of these), map, compass, cash, ID and good fortune.

Sunday's plan isn't solid. I'd like to try a route over Devil's Backbone that I've only mountain biked down. It's the Pot Peak trail and should be fun if we make it. Once on top of Devil's Backbone there is a sweet trail down into the Entiat Valley where there is a nice little store with gas and food. We'll find out way to Hwy 2 from there, sniffing out the singletrack as we go.

Your bike would be perfect and I'm guessing there will be rooms avalible in Chelan.

It is possible that we could start at noon on Fri. but Sat. morning might make more sense. No stress there, we'll just do what works best.

Punk
That helps clear things up, thanks! Actually, I was secretly hoping that you might know some secret open trails all the way over to Twisp. I was just over there last week and rode most of the trails open to dirtbikes in the Sawtooths last Saturday. The roads and trails are all in excellent condition. We had a little snow already above 6000' but nothing to worry about, although we had almost a whiteout condition coming down off of Horsehead Pass which was pretty cool until we got lower and the snow turned wet enough to fog up the goggles...

Please don't plan around me, I'm a maybe at this point as my work situation may not allow me to sneak away next weekend. But Saturday am would be my preference if I can make it. It's good to know your camping plan, I won't worry about that for now except to say there probably aren't any cheap places in Chelan so unless you guys are up for splitting a room I'll probably be camping as well. I can make some calls this week to check on options if it looks like I'll be able to make it. Not really a huge deal, I just prefer not to carry too much gear on the EXC especially if we're riding singletrack.

Talk to you more as the week progresses.

Brian
Old 09-26-2005, 09:55 AM   #12
88NX250
Team USA

Oddometer: 720
OK...how did this go???

Are there any plans to get a report to happen? This sounded like just my kind of ride but I had a wedding to attend all day Sat and then I had to move an enternainment center for a friend back up to Bellingham on Sunday so I was deffinetly out but I would LOVE to hear about how this went!

Iain
88NX250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 12:39 AM   #13
punk OP
Dammed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88NX250
OK...how did this go??
This trip went very well outside one flat and one person crashing a few times.

A Bellingham start around 2:00 on friday, two of us made it east to Twisp on 20, took backroads and dirtroads to the Foggy Dew trial and after riding (8?) miles of trail, half in the dark we got 4000' higher and camped at Cooney Lake.

Next morning, cold, fire, late start down then up to Horsethief Pass, down to Boiling Lake and up/over to Deadman's Pass. This is all epic riding. We exited the trail (30+ miles from the start and much elevation gain and loss) at the south end and rode dirt roads to the outskirts of Chelan, where he got a flat & fixed it. Grocery store for dinner and camped up Devil's Backbone.

Next morning, had to be home by 2:00 or leaving Leavenworth by 11:00. High tailed it up Devil's Backbone on dirt roads flattrack style (very smooth road here) and down the backside by trail to the Entiat Valley. Got rowdy on the dirt road that lead toward Leavenworth and found some very twisty, fun paved road that got us to Hwy 2 and home only and hour late all with an easy cruising speed on the slab.

All the trails we rode were in great shape especially considering how steep a lot of it was. The old and new DR650s worked great, not the ideal bike but if you had the faith to keep it going on the trail, you'd make it.

PUnk
Old 09-30-2005, 10:45 AM   #14
88NX250
Team USA

Oddometer: 720
that sounds like it was a real blast. Did anyone bring a GPS? and could you put the track online or just e-mail it to me and I can put it online?

and pics?
88NX250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:09 AM   #15
dirtyboy
Adrenaline junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk
This trip went very well outside one flat and one person crashing a few times.

A Bellingham start around 2:00 on friday, two of us made it east to Twisp on 20, took backroads and dirtroads to the Foggy Dew trial and after riding (8?) miles of trail, half in the dark we got 4000' higher and camped at Cooney Lake.

Next morning, cold, fire, late start down then up to Horsethief Pass, down to Boiling Lake and up/over to Deadman's Pass. This is all epic riding. We exited the trail (30+ miles from the start and much elevation gain and loss) at the south end and rode dirt roads to the outskirts of Chelan, where he got a flat & fixed it. Grocery store for dinner and camped up Devil's Backbone.

Next morning, had to be home by 2:00 or leaving Leavenworth by 11:00. High tailed it up Devil's Backbone on dirt roads flattrack style (very smooth road here) and down the backside by trail to the Entiat Valley. Got rowdy on the dirt road that lead toward Leavenworth and found some very twisty, fun paved road that got us to Hwy 2 and home only and hour late all with an easy cruising speed on the slab.

All the trails we rode were in great shape especially considering how steep a lot of it was. The old and new DR650s worked great, not the ideal bike but if you had the faith to keep it going on the trail, you'd make it.

PUnk
Glad you guys had a good ride.

I'll bet those switchbacks coming down Horsehead and up Deadman's (all 16 of them) were fun on those bikes! Those trails would have been a real handful on my 640Adventure.

Were you able to ride up to Cooney Lake? I thought that was off limits to the motorized bikes... I imagine the mosquitoes weren't too bad by the lake this time of year.