ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
Creation OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Property Lines?

Wanting to build a fence. Anywhere I can get my property lines without a surveyor to hire?

Can't stand my neighbors dog shitting in the yard
Creation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 736
You can go to the county and ask to see your map. That is where the surveyor would start. Well actually he could have the database on computer. But on the county's maps you will see measurements and angles and things like Iron Rods at corners. Hopefully you will get enough to go on. The county will make you a copy for $. You need your parcel number from your tax bill.

You can ask at the surveyor's as well to see if they have done a recent survey in your area. If so they may give you some info as a courtesy. The ones I have dealt with have been helpful. I have found my own property corners several times without cost other than time for research.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
smjon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
You can go to a local equipment rental shop and rent a detector/locator to find your property corner pins. It's a fairly common rental tool.
smjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
tommybelvedere
Adv alacarte'

Oddometer: 416
Creation,
I am a surveyor by trade, most plat maps are available online it will give you bearings and distances. if you are in a platted subdivision it really is not that hard, lines of visible occupation are a good place to start looking for your property corners. If you need help pm me. I hope you cease the dogshitting and get a nice fence!
TB
tommybelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommybelvedere View Post
Creation,
get a nice fence!
TB
Good fences make GREAT neighbors.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy View Post
Good fences make GREAT neighbors.
No need for tences make the BEST neighbors
And yes, my neighbors' dogs shit in my yard all the time. I just wipe it off, and move on.....
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #7
Creation OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
No need for tences make the BEST neighbors
And yes, my neighbors' dogs shit in my yard all the time. I just wipe it off, and move on.....
Does your neighbor get mad at your bike when you start it at 6am? Or threaten to call the pound on your own dog when all he does is sniff the plants?

She told me because my dog is big it should be locked up. Her little bichon frise is scared of it.

Thanks all for the advice. Found 2 rods today, and found that her whole garden is on my property by 7 feet.
Creation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:34 PM   #8
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,202
Now you have to decide whether or not to fence her off from her garden. A friend of mine did that and started a 10 year war.
Tiger 800 - FOR SALE
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:16 AM   #9
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,910
And if you don't you risk losing that seven feet by adverse possession. It's gonna start shit, so hire a surveyor to come locate it officially. Then put your fence exactly on the property line, and enjoy your new garden for the win! Hope she's planted stuff you like on your side.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
Almost There
Up, up, and away

Oddometer: 320
Since you are doing it for the safety of her dog I'm sure she won't mind not using your property for her garden.
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #11
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Adverse possession is difficult in this situation IIRC to claim adverse possession you need to have been paying the property tax's on that land for a number of years, so your neighbor would need to prove that she has been paying the taxes but I'm sure you have.

The hard part is deciding what to do. If you did locate the corner stakes then you by all right can build your fence right along that property line with out any notice to your neighbor, but if you are wrong then you will need to tear fence down and move it. You run the possiblity that the markers have been moved too. Not sure there would be any damage's awarded to the neighbor as you really did no damage except tear up a garden that is not growing anything right now.

At this point, I think the best advise is to contact a lawyer, pony up a few hundred bucks and get the legal advise now that you have located the corner markers.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #12
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,353
I agree. With a seven foot difference, it will be worth the cost to enlist a surveyor. Take the high road and be polite, but firm, about securing your property to prevent adverse possession.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #13
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Another thing you could consider is on a day when neighbor is out working in yard or you know she will be watching, run a string line from one marker to the other and start measuring out the area. When she asks tell her you are going to build a fence and the fence builder you have been talking to asked you to locate the corner markers and take measurements for an estimate, see what she has to say.

Her reaction should then tell you what your next step will be.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #14
SAE-GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Sounds to me a Professional Land Surveyor is in order

As a Professional Land Surveyor, I highly recommend hiring a Professional Land Surveyor located in your area. It sounds like you have a lot more going on the just where to put a fence. Sure, it will cost some bucks but most likely will save you money in the long run.

As far as finding stakes in the ground, it is a good start but, how do you know these are the true property corners? They may be goat stakes or stakes that someone with very little knowledge set thinking they were at the property corner. When they were really way off. A good Land Surveyor should be able to sort this out.

I know if you called my business I would look into the record before I gave you a quote. I can't speak for all surveyors but most surveyors I know don't charge for their quotes. One last thing, surveyors are almost always cheaper than lawyers. Property disputes have bought many lawyers expensive bikes, and other toys. Good luck with your project.
SAE-GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #15
Dr Klaun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
^
This. You can also back check your locate by finding the rods on the other property corners and measuring the distances between them to compare to your plat (check your deed if you own the home).

Be up front and positive with your neighbor before engaging DefCon 5 strategies....

96 R1100RSL (red)
08 TE610
Dr Klaun is offline   Reply With Quote