Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #16
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Wow, great report and a cool adventure! Ive got to get out there sometime. Right in my backyard (almost). DD
2014 KTM 500EXC
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #17
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Oddometer: 184
Hey Ian!

Rey here, great ride report. You told it just the way it is. I think we were lucky in that we made it there during a time when operations on the railroad are kind of on hold I think pretty soon, they'll be back in maintenance operations and access will be tough to impossible.

That being said, we need to get back down there asap and ride through to Ocotillo!

Best regards,
Rey & Vann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #18
Zilg0
31337 H4x0r

Oddometer: 29
Wicked adventure ride wile "urban" exploring, sweet!
Old 03-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #19
daxxruckus OP
CRF Slayer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by antisoshal View Post
Its worth noting that railway is NOT abandoned, and is actually undergoing rehab to begin hauling freight. Bad things could happen if you enter a tunnel not knowing this.

The railway is owned by the Pacific Imperial Railway
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific..._Railroad,_Inc.

They are under legal obligation to rehab the rail lines and begin hauling freight to mexico. Their lease requires they embark on a multi-million dollar construction project. You can see on that tressel that most of the railing woodwork and cables are fairly new.

The cars left there are being stored for various movie companies and are not scrap.

While very cool, this thread could easily lead to some pretty dangerous situations in the near future without this info, so I thought I'd mention it.

Starting this year there should be regular construction traffic working on the bridges. The goal is apparently to have freight trains running to and from Tijuana by end of 2015
Hey Thanks for providing this info. I tried to provide some warning at the top of my post, because there is some danger here that you need to be aware of before running it. Where did you find out that those cars are being stored for movie companies? And about starting construction? I've read on a few West Coast RR forums and no one seems to know what is going on with the embargo on this line, other than they occasionally run maintenance trucks on it. Thanks!
daxxruckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #20
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
So cool. This is the type of stuff I'd like to find on my rides. Very interesting. Love RR history!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #21
daxxruckus OP
CRF Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey & Vann View Post
Rey here, great ride report. You told it just the way it is. I think we were lucky in that we made it there during a time when operations on the railroad are kind of on hold I think pretty soon, they'll be back in maintenance operations and access will be tough to impossible.

That being said, we need to get back down there asap and ride through to Ocotillo!

Best regards,
Rey whats up my man! Stoked you saw this. Yes we are definitely planning a time to rip the whole thing!
Old 03-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #22
fadingfastsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey & Vann View Post

Best regards,
Yo Rey! Can't wait for the next ride bud.
fadingfastsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:09 PM   #23
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Last time I tried to hike to the Goat Canyon Trestle we got snowed out!
Back in those days they were barricading the tunnels because someone
(the theory at the time was illegals) had started fires in the tunnels and
destroyed the bracing. Not good.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:57 PM   #24
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,740
Thumb

Hey Guys great read Thanx!!! And TFN piece... classic.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #25
antisoshal
n00b

Oddometer: 2
You can see current updates here:
http://www.westcoastrailforums.com/forum-114.html

The stuff I mentioned were various press releases and business plans, but that sounds sketchy now. Apparently the president was fired recently and theres some question as to whats actually going on. There has been talk of running a tourist line and also talk of a Mexican official visit to asses their opinion on the Mexican end of the line. A lot of work was done last year on the various bridges including cleaning off sand build up. Theres even a couple videos on that forum of people going down the line on maintenance cars.
antisoshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:57 AM   #26
jjdun7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Abandoned Railroad Ride

Great ride report. I just stumbled across this surfing around ADV. You got some great photographs. I got to do a similar adventure last year and its definitely exciting, wondering what's around the next curve, or on the other end of the tunnel. I know what you mean trying to get in and out of the tracks. It takes a little practice. But after a while you get pretty good jumping in and out. Once again, great photos, great story. If you're interested here's a link to my tunnel story.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871546

"Get out and explore"
jjdun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #27
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdun7 View Post
Great ride report. I just stumbled across this surfing around ADV. You got some great photographs. I got to do a similar adventure last year and its definitely exciting, wondering what's around the next curve, or on the other end of the tunnel. I know what you mean trying to get in and out of the tracks. It takes a little practice. But after a while you get pretty good jumping in and out. Once again, great photos, great story. If you're interested here's a link to my tunnel story.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871546
Jumping in and out??? Hahaha!!!!!!

We had to pick our bikes up and over the tracks a number of times. Not too bad with Ian and Evan's bikes, but Miguel and I were both loaded down with a lot of gear AND a lot of water. It was a chore to cross over switches but we got our system figured out.

It was a real treat to have connected with these guys. The're a blast to ride with and have truly adventurous spirits. The adventure never would have happened without their involvment.

Sent from my LGL75C using Tapatalk 2
Rey & Vann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #28
Ol Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Huell Howser did an episode on the railroad. Noticed the RIP for him on one of the cars you posteed:

http://www.calgold.com/calgold/Defau...=1000&Show=102
Ol Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #29
daxxruckus OP
CRF Slayer

Just read your RR. Awesome trip, and sounds like you went through the same stuff we did! Great pics of those tunnels.

And yeah, I knew about Huell Howser doing a show there, thought it was awesome someone tagged about him up on that ballast car!
Old 03-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #30
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,706
What a cool ride!!

I love abandoned stuff (even if it is debated whether it's abandoned or not )

Saw the Huell Howser episode on this awhile back and thought it would be so cool to explore there, and you guys did it.

Great photos, captured it so well.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote