Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #46
BEEF706
King of the dumb dab

Oddometer: 619
Dang didn't mean to, it will be cool to see it in it's natural habitat and hear what the Hontesa faithful think
BEEF706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:30 PM   #47
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,070
So is R&s doing the warranty work Saturday on parts they can`t get?
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #48
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

I`m in for a test ride this weekend. Fortunately for the new owner 4rt tanks are small. Otherwise I might not come back. I last test rode a 2005 when they first came out. I choose my Rev 3 over one then. But I could see a new Honda looking good for the sake of looking good. Should be interesting, hopefully he at least scratches the skid plate before I open it up!
Old 04-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #49
DirtDud OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
who / were on the EAST Coast is one of these BIKES ?I want to at least see one
Old 04-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #50
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
Dealer I know has one. (its sold) He said its way better than the 05 he had. Motor is alot more powerful, clutch is sweet - light, but good feel. Suspension real nice, although forks top out bad. Power is very abrupt off the bottom with the std map. He likes it that way. He said that it makes a surprising amount of power for a 260. BTW - they all came with the full power kit as std. He had a few minor issues with the brakes, but all set now.
About that power off bottom.... A rider on a new 4RT came through the Senior Amateur line of the section I was checking. He kept getting hung up on a slick ledge because he'd pulse the throttle on, then shut immediately off before the rear wheel crested the edge. I advised him thrice to use much less throttle and sustain it longer. I think he got two fives and a 2. He came back after he finished his sections and 'got it.' Much less throttle, held on longer, and he floated right over that obstacle like it was nothing. Yeah, that was a technique issue, but I observe 4RT riders tend to struggle more than the norm with quickness off idle. As for the other half of whiskey throttle, sudden engine braking, I did not ride the new bike, so I can't report on the efficacy of whatever they did to reduce engine braking. Anyone get a feel for that?

I did get to ride Ray's 300 Beta. It surprised me as to how mellow it was right off idle because I watched him do big steps with little runup test riding the sections. I found fast throttle application provided a predictable wind-up and not a sudden burst. I still don't prefer 4 strokes, but I am impressed with the Beta. BTW, Ray rode my Raga 300 (which is now quite mellowed - but no added flywheel weight). He said it was too quick. Interesting.

A maximum throttle constrainer (allowing, say, no more than a wee bit-o throttle) would be a wonderful training tool on this bike. Or any bike. Maybe I can experiment on KrAzy!

motobene screwed with this post 04-19-2014 at 09:14 AM
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #51
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,699
So....who actually rode one?

Brewtus!

And after (a very short while) it was Lineaway's turn. Yeah, I did not want to give it up just yet -

Nice ATGATT, Bob!

And a really nice "Bernie" floater -

Sweet scoot. Many thanks to MW for the ride!!
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #52
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

BTW, Brewtus`s `05 has more grunt off the bottom than the`14. Suspension was not dialed in yet. It still felt heavy at the rear if only 12`` off the ground. You get the rear tire over 2` off the ground and it easily moves anywhere you want. It does not have much in 4 stroke braking. Power is solid, but not really any more than the old bikes. Beautiful bike, but I would still take the Beta 4 - stroke over it for competition.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #53
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
BTW, Brewtus`s `05 has more grunt off the bottom than the`14. Suspension was not dialed in yet. It still felt heavy at the rear if only 12`` off the ground. You get the rear tire over 2` off the ground and it easily moves anywhere you want. It does not have much in 4 stroke braking. Power is solid, but not really any more than the old bikes. Beautiful bike, but I would still take the Beta 4 - stroke over it for competition.
Brewuts's 05 may have had some help recently.

Thanks, Bob!!

More to come....

brewtus screwed with this post 04-20-2014 at 07:20 PM Reason: Dual stage programmable help....
Old 04-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #54
Nostop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Has the front and rear preload/sag been set for the rider weight yet? Rear shock on my 14 race rep, damping set 2 clicks from fully out/off, that makes it quite fast, but still nice and plush. You might want a 42 or 43 rear sprocket to slow it down in 1st gear (I run 9/42 on my bikes). The standard 260 has a faster setup with the tech forks and ollie rear shock (a mate likes the ollie, but says it fades when used all day, he's putting an ohlins in, but I prefer the showa's. Had mine since October 13, it's my 3rd 4rt and is the best one

Nostop screwed with this post 04-21-2014 at 01:56 PM
Nostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #55
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostop View Post
Has the front and rear preload/sag been set for the rider weight yet?

The owner of the one Lineaway and I rode has had absolutely no prep work done to it yet. Fluids were checked, fuel added, and we rode it. Oh, he did replace the grips with Renthals, but that is it. He will set suspension settings and re-gear it, but he was eager to ride it.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #56
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

The bike is way cool. But if you want to be competitive there are many better options. You can talk all day about the tech in this bike, it is still heavy. It was outdated in 2005, so really how much weight has been trimmed. My guess is nada. But for bikes being on the bucket list for being parked in the garage, this is a top five pick! Love it.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:49 AM   #57
Nostop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
The bike is way cool. But if you want to be competitive there are many better options. You can talk all day about the tech in this bike, it is still heavy. It was outdated in 2005, so really how much weight has been trimmed. My guess is nada. But for bikes being on the bucket list for being parked in the garage, this is a top five pick! Love it.
Your not wrong, you only buy a mont because that's what you really want, there not uncompetitive, there just heavier and different, but they are very well made and reliable. Once set up, you can ride anything a very good expert could ride (as proven by a few guys in my local club). A friend of mine (clubman 50/50 class) has had new factory 300 Betas for quite a while now, just bought the standard 260 model and says he can do everything he did on the beta and loves it.
Nostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:24 AM   #58
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

A good rider can make the stock Honda work like it is light as a feather. But it is just easier to ride a lighter bike.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #59
DirtDud OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
My head is spinning not sure if this bike really exist I know it is a dumb statement but seeing one in person would be nice ! So are there any on the east coast
Old 04-25-2014, 08:03 AM   #60
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
I believe there will be one at the RITC trials training class this Sunday in Rhode Island. More info on the NETA site.

www.newenglandtriials.com
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote