User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #1
DirtDud OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Sellin Trials Bikes for The Love of The Sport

I am a business man that wonder why a person would be a trials dealer ? As a business it is the worst type of motorcycle you could sell for a profit , I think ? I have bought at least 50 bikes in my years and trials are the only ones that need nothing else to be competitive . My 200 gasgas endure bike has at least $2500/$ 3000 in extras on it . Then there is the gear all the normal pads knee braces $650 neck brace $200 Great lid $500 . Now let me get into repairs No maybe I do not want to go there , lets put it this way . Trials stuff a few extra parts an expensive lid is $300 ? and everything last a long time ? So is there great mark up on the sale of the bike ? I buy from my local trial dealer or other trials dealers not some online discount place . They must love this sport cause as a business it does not look all that profitable to me . Thank You Mister Dealer !
Old 03-19-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
slicktop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Well this is the perfect time to let everyone know how I feel about Jackscycles in Maine. Stu, the owner and rider is living the dream of this sport. I think he is a great inspiration to any who is thinking of learning trials.
He runs a 24/7 dealership and will go all the way to protect his business reputation and a friend in need.
I have the utmost respect for Stu and appreciate anyone with his drive and integrity and interest in the sport.
Another fine company is American Beta of whom Stu is a dealer. Together they have warrantied a year old Evo at the tune of about $1400. maybe more. A lot came out of Stus' pocket.
Jackscycles is an excellent dealership.
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktop View Post
Well this is the perfect time to let everyone know how I feel about Jackscycles in Maine. Stu, the owner and rider is living the dream of this sport. I think he is a great inspiration to any who is thinking of learning trials.
He runs a 24/7 dealership and will go all the way to protect his business reputation and a friend in need.
I have the utmost respect for Stu and appreciate anyone with his drive and integrity and interest in the sport.

Jackscycles is an excellent dealership.
I can second that!
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:56 AM   #4
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 296
Yep. No money in the sport. Hardrock Trials is the AZ dealer, and Mike takes good care of us. He also works his butt off as the President of our club. All this on the side, he runs a auto repair business to make a living.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #5
slicktop
Gnarly Adventurer

I think with the right business model and devotion to the trade, there is money to be made. There are not a lot of choices for trials dealerships across the country. Certainly, every Honda shop does not sell Montesas.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,138
With the low numbers at both the Nationals and most club events it is very hard to squeeze a living out of trials even with it a one man show. During the upswing years it can be done. The funny thing is the internet. Used to be you needed the dealer, today you don`t. That is the way even main stream shops have been since the 80`s. The joke in the motorcycle business has always been. `How to make a million dollars in motorcycling? Start with two million!`
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,310
This is why I bought my used bike from a shop even though I maybe could have saved a couple hundred bucks by buying from a private seller. It was important to me to help support the sport. Mike @ The Tryals Shop deserved my support.

If we don't do that, there won't be any more cool little shops like his.

Support the shops!

Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:41 AM   #8
DirtDud OP
Adventurer

Slicktop you are correct but that is true of ANY business But without the volume n margins how do you pay a good mechanic ? I would think that done correctly in conjunction with another business it would work .
Old 03-21-2014, 05:21 AM   #9
slicktop
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDud View Post
Slicktop you are correct but that is true of ANY business But without the volume n margins how do you pay a good mechanic ? I would think that done correctly in conjunction with another business it would work .
Those are familiar words stated by my wife in regards to me wanting to open a sailboat dealership in N. Arkansas. My reply was that of course we would have to start up a yacht club, with dining, sailing lessons, rentals, repair, storage, and racing. The key is getting the kids involved.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,124
Here is a great dealer who does it part time for the love of the sport :

Dan Barrick
Maryland Mototrial
2548 Urbana Pike
Ijamsville, Md.

301 514-5638
301 662-0697

dpandm01@comcast.net

Sherco, Beta & Gas Gas
Sales, Service & Parts
New & used bikes
Old 03-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #11
somethingnuw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDud View Post
I am a business man that wonder why a person would be a trials dealer ? As a business it is the worst type of motorcycle you could sell for a profit , I think ? I have bought at least 50 bikes in my years and trials are the only ones that need nothing else to be competitive . My 200 gasgas endure bike has at least $2500/$ 3000 in extras on it . Then there is the gear all the normal pads knee braces $650 neck brace $200 Great lid $500 . Now let me get into repairs No maybe I do not want to go there , lets put it this way . Trials stuff a few extra parts an expensive lid is $300 ? and everything last a long time ? So is there great mark up on the sale of the bike ? I buy from my local trial dealer or other trials dealers not some online discount place . They must love this sport cause as a business it does not look all that profitable to me . Thank You Mister Dealer !
sweet... one more reason for me to get into the support... thanks for the info
somethingnuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:36 AM   #12
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Hmmm,I must be doing something wrong,my Sherco never needs any repair parts but I seem to spend plenty on trials,Carbon Fiber protection,different color plastic and graphics,new footpegs,multiple trials bikes...and I'm broke again...

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:22 AM   #13
slicktop
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmay View Post
Hmmm,I must be doing something wrong,my Sherco never needs any repair parts but I seem to spend plenty on trials,Carbon Fiber protection,different color plastic and graphics,new footpegs,multiple trials bikes...and I'm broke again...
Do you order online or from a local dealer?
Old 03-22-2014, 06:36 AM   #14
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktop View Post
Do you order online or from a local dealer?
My local dealer,but I'd classify him as a hobbiest dealer,he recently retired from his day job though so we'll see what happens,We are close to RYP so we have quick access.I think lots of dealers are happy if they pay for their own trials habit out of their sales

I occasionally order online,best sources for my vintage bike stuff is almost always in Great Britain,TryalShop for my Fantics sometimes.

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #15
DirtDud OP
Adventurer

I went to a few District 6 events with an older trials bike , while there I noticed a real good rider with a trailer full of parts n stuff . So when I decided to buy a new bike he seemed like a logical supplier to me . I have to say he goes out of his way to supply me with advice , parts n bikes . His shop is Foxs Trials Barn in Montoursville Pa . 570-419-3763 . But he is only a phone call away . Or at a district 6 event . I also get stuff from Scott at Moto Connection . He drove all the way down to Pa to deliver my new Sherco X ride . Two great dealers for sure !