User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
KaptinKaos' 2013 CRF450X

Just plopping this in here to start a thread on a shiny new 450X that I'm going to desert prep. It'll replace my KTM 450EXC, but only for the desert, ;)

Shiny and new!

Snuggled up in the world's smallest garage, lol...

Some bits and pieces rolling in now.

And the only thing I've gotten around to doing so far... Skid pan. Time is crazy short through the winter for me with working in the field and stuff... More to follow as I go.

'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,210
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:44 PM   #3
B.Ross
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Thanks for wearing socks. Oh, nice bike.
B.Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Ross View Post
Thanks for wearing socks. Oh, nice bike.
Sock was for scale... lol!
Old 03-21-2014, 12:45 AM   #5
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,984
where did you buy it?

DD
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:20 AM   #6
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdiver View Post
where did you buy it?

DD
NIB from Rocky Mountain in Calgary. Was the only place would sell me it in a crate, lol!

I should add that it's plated street legal too... ;)
Old 03-21-2014, 03:24 AM   #7
Mike the Yank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
you're going to love the mid-range!
Old 03-21-2014, 05:01 AM   #8
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,523
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:51 PM   #9
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

A little bit more...

Got some tinkering done today after working on my truck a bit. Not really working on it, but after dropping expenses off, doing some running around and a bank visit all I wanted to do was wrench so I got my new Baja Rack on the Fj,

Some more bits and pieces came in so I decided to rip into the Honda with a bit more vehemence... Still can't believe Honda put this on for a skid plate. This is the only thing between a boulder/stump and the coolant tank... Derp.

Tank adapter plate, smog blank off kit and some fork bleeders I snagged up for uber cheap. Kudos to Direct for cutting me pretty crazy deals all the time.

So much fun to work on a clean bike... Tank out!

Unicam thumper just waiting to be flogged...

And yes, this is a tiny bit overkill, but is killing two birds with one stone. No need for rad braces and if I run out of fuel then I'm an idiot. Doesn't change the feel of the bike much and isn't wider than the shrouds. It'll certainly be heavier when full of fuel though, lol!!! Stock is 7 or 8 L and the Acerbis is 15.5L.

See? Not so bad, just seems humongous when not on the bike.

Get rid of this crap... The bike would BARELY run when I started it prior to tonight's fun and after the removal of the smog kit (I haven't jetted it yet or fiddled with the ECU wiring at all) it cracked to life and idled super smooth with zero issues. I hate smog kits and they are always the first thing to go on my bikes.

Got the bark busters on. Kudos to MX-1 Canada for these. If you're in Canada and hate shipping costs check them out. Not sure if they are a vendor on ADVRider or not, but I tell ya... Nothing makes me happier than a company that never charges shipping! MX-1 is so awesome that I broke a buckle on my boot a couple of weeks before leaving to Baja last year. They tore down a boot they had in inventory and mailed me a set of buckles FOR FREE... When do you ever get free stuff nowadays? Unfortunately, their stock is still kind of limited, but customer service makes up for almost anything in my books...

Digging these BB's... Might get some for my 990 to replace the HDB ones that just don't fit right (and I kinda mangled the right side one in a wreck last year...)

A maze of fuel lines on this thing now though... 3 petcocks total. Still uses the main stock petcock in the middle and two extra ones in the wings that can be turned off or on. Will suit me fine and be a really good extra reserve. I'll leave them closed till I need more.

Seriously Honda... I had an odometer exactly like that on my 82 XR... Wtf over?

Long day... House hunting tomorrow. Cheers and I'll keep updating as I go. Almost halfway though, ;)
Old 03-24-2014, 09:50 PM   #10
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,984
Nice! Im enjoying this.

DD
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:46 PM   #11
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Plenty lots...

Got done! So little time between buying a new house, packing, painting, moving, yadda yadda... The end result will be twice as much garage space with an 8' door though!!! However, I have managed a few late nights in the shop tinkerinig.

A box of awesome showed up yesterday!

Stock exhaust is off (zero hours and for sale CHEAP) and MRD shipped my full system Monday. Should be here Friday or next week.

Scotts rear brake fin on to replace the cheesy plastic one.

TM Designs case saver on the chain side in case I throw a chain. Not too big a deal at the lower speeds here at home on single track, but would be disastrous at 100mph in the desert... Cheap and good insurance that I don't blow a case out.

Plumbed and wired it to be completely street legal here so I don't get poached riding from one staging area to another. Not that it'll matter in Baja, but it makes a lot of things a whole lot easier here. Sicass came through with a GREAT full kit (sigs, brake light, inner fender, plate holder and jumper for head light). Put an Acewell on it and am really only using it for a speedo for legality.

Mounted up a Scotts damper set to 6 oclock for full range on top of a billet adapter. No need for fancy triple clamps, just bolt up and go! Yes, I know... The tower post isn't on in this photo, was a test fit to make sure the triple clamps accepted it properly, ;)

And some switching for stuff... An actual on/off for the bike, starter, kill switch and two extra switches yet to be wired for the lights. Waiting on a beefy stator yet for that to happen. Highway Dirt Bikes is great for these switches and holders. I use these on the 990 and the 450EXC too!

Moose racing pegs to replace the Honda ones that seem to be made of tin foil or something... LOL!

JD's as per norm for jetting. Jetted to 3000-6000 for the time being with a 162/red needle for the high altitudes I see here. I'll flop it back to sea level just before heading south. Did I mention how much I love FCR carbs? So easy to jet and no need to even remove it from the bike!

My Twin Air sealing ring also came in, but I'll just run a stock filter for the muck and nastiness I see out here. It's a big rear end tear out to get it into the air box anyway... blech!

Swapped off the 765's for an old set of MT-21's I had kicking around. They're DOT so legal and I might as well use them up while I debate what tire to run down south. Thinking maybe Mich Desert's or 908's... But I need to do some more asking around. My 908's did well, but they are a very hard compound compared to some...

Gearing came in also, but I'm not swapping that till I head south either. I'll run the stock gearing for now and bump it up to 15/47 for the more open terrain I'll be in. I'd be grossly over-geared for mountainous single track if I did it now. Plus, I'll be able to throw a new chain on at the same time.

There's been a flurry of action, but now waiting for some parts and still waiting for some weather. Looks like it might be nice this weekend... Haven't even turned a wheel on this thing yet!!!

Still deciding on tire choice, lighting and until I get some hours on it I won't even have a baseline for spring rates/valving... Soon...
Old 05-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #12
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

RODE IT!

Only around town and only to grab some 990 parts from Blackfoot and shoot the sh!t with a couple of buddies that live along the route, but I turned a wheel on it! It's loud though... The MRD wil be great for racing, but I can see it being too bloody loud for ripping up the neighborhoods, lol! I will post up some pics of some finalized mods as soon as I can. I did a bunch more work on it and have talked to a friend of a friend who may sponsor the light package on the bike.

BRAAAAP! (It's gonna snow this weekend though so I doubt I'll make it out)
Old 05-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #13
OBD
Other Brother

Oddometer: 82
OBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #14
jrbrtsn
n00b

Oddometer: 7
'06 CRF450x

I've got a tagged '06 CRF450x I am dual-sporting. Put a bigger tank on it, opened up the airbox & rejetted. It's a rocket!
jrbrtsn is offline   Reply With Quote