ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
g.mccormick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
osm maps instead of city navigator?

I have a new 78S coming my way and will need to get a map set for it. I had planned on buying city navigator, but now I am starting to learn a little bit about opensource maps such as

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
http://www.osmmaps.com/

Do a lot of people here use these instead of CN? I'm planning on using this gps to do the TAT and will need to make tracks in basecamp using the mapsets also. Would these maps be a good choice to use for that? Or should i just pay the money and get/use CN.

Thanks
g.mccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:12 AM   #2
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,788
A lot of people seem to use and like OSM maps.

I looked into them once and found a few errors in areas I was familiar with. I decided I just wouldn't want to trust them planning a trip into an unknown area. Plus I had already purchased CN and Topo maps.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,347
I find CN is good in my area for the smaller backroads and even older logging roads
I have found mistakes in OSM even on state route highways. I would think CN would be good for a long multi state ride like the TAT to back up other maps you may use
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.mccormick View Post
Do a lot of people here use these instead of CN? I'm planning on using this gps to do the TAT and will need to make tracks in basecamp using the mapsets also. Would these maps be a good choice to use for that? Or should i just pay the money and get/use CN.
Not instead; in addition to. I think you'll find most people get both. And with your 78S (good choice) you can create a profile for each mapset and flip quickly between them to see which is better for the area you're in.

It's Win/Win.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
If you you OSM just remember to update them at least once a year as they are always changing. I just updated mine and they finally got rid of the green background when youre in the national forest which made it very hard to see the roads. Last night I did a quick side by side of OSM, 24k topo and CNNA and OSM has the most roads/detail of them. The only issue with OSM is all of the roads they have technically exist but may not be open to the public (gated and locked). The other issue is with the routing, OSM can/will route you in ways not legal. For instance if I use OSM leaving my house with a destination to the north of me it will route me going east to 287 and making a left onto 287 which is a no left turn intersection, if I do the same with either 24k or CNNA it will route me south a block then east to 287 which is a intersection that you can make a left turn legally.
mpatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
g.mccormick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So I downloaded the osm map for us from http://www.osmmaps.com/.
I then loaded the .img file onto a 16Gib musb. I'm running the map in my new 78S. One thing that I didn't know, but is awesome, is that the osmmap shows up in basecamp when connected to the 78. On my 60, i have 2010 CN and it does not show up in basecamp when connected. I routed to work today with both gpses/maps and they seemed to work the same. I may still buy the 2014CN just in case, but definitely no hurry.

Is there a way that I can see the OSM map in basecamp without having th e78 connected up?

THanks
Old 03-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #7
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Use Javawa Device Manager to enable map visibility in Basecamp

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:26 AM   #8
g.mccormick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Use Javawa Device Manager to enable map visibility in Basecamp

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Awesome, I will have to download and try that tonight. Is this to see the CN on the 60? What about a way to see the OSM in basecamp without connected to 78?

Thanks
Old 03-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #9
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,972
Quote:
Awesome, I will have to download and try that tonight. Is this to see the CN on the 60? What about a way to see the OSM in basecamp without connected to 78?

Thanks
Just download the Windows or Mac installable version of the OSM region you want.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #10
g.mccormick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Just download the Windows or Mac installable version of the OSM region you want.
What/where do I find that? All i got was a .img file.

I'm learning all of this as I go, sorry to be such a suck.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #11
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,972
When you request a map from garmin.openstreetmap.nl, once your maps have been compiled you are given a link to the download server. There you have several options of files to download. One is for Windows BC and one is for Mac. One is a pre-compiled IMG file for the GPS (which you don't really need if you're downloading one for the computer).

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #12
Capt_phun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Not instead; in addition to. I think you'll find most people get both. And with your 78S (good choice) you can create a profile for each mapset and flip quickly between them to see which is better for the area you're in.

It's Win/Win.
I do the same on my Eurex 20. I load the garmin cn to the gps hard-drive and then I load the some to the micro sd card. This way I always have the cn on the unit & can swap out the micro card for topo, osm, whatever.
I find the level of detail is good on osm, showing more trails and such. Just be careful because hiking trails will show up & I doubt you want to take a moto on the Appalachian Trail.
Capt_phun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #13
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_phun View Post
I do the same on my Eurex 20. I load the garmin cn to the gps hard-drive and then I load the some to the micro sd card. This way I always have the cn on the unit & can swap out the micro card for topo, osm, whatever.
I find the level of detail is good on osm, showing more trails and such. Just be careful because hiking trails will show up & I doubt you want to take a moto on the Appalachian Trail.
You mean eTrex 20? Why are you dicking around, swapping cards to get different maps? The eTrex 20 will let you have multiple individual map images on the same card.

The eTrex also has Profiles so you can create one for each map, and swap maps in 10 seconds by switching Profiles.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:28 AM   #14
g.mccormick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
When you request a map from garmin.openstreetmap.nl, once your maps have been compiled you are given a link to the download server. There you have several options of files to download. One is for Windows BC and one is for Mac. One is a pre-compiled IMG file for the GPS (which you don't really need if you're downloading one for the computer).
I did this, but did not seem to get a download option for a windows.exe.
This is what I had the option to download

tiles.txt
osm_generic_tiles.zip (did not download, mentions it is for linux)
osm_generic_macosx.zip (did not download)
osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip (downloaded. Is only one gmapsupp.img file)
6340000_license.txt (did not download)
63240000.nsi (Did not download. It states "Nullsoft Scriptable Installer script used to create the Basecamp/MapSource installer". )

The email says there was going to be a *_windows.exe (installer for Garmin basecamp/mapsource windows, but there is not. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2014, 06:46 AM   #15
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
I did this, but did not seem to get a download option for a windows.exe.
This is what I had the option to download

tiles.txt
osm_generic_tiles.zip (did not download, mentions it is for linux)
osm_generic_macosx.zip (did not download)
osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip (downloaded. Is only one gmapsupp.img file)
6340000_license.txt (did not download)
63240000.nsi (Did not download. It states "Nullsoft Scriptable Installer script used to create the Basecamp/MapSource installer". )

The email says there was going to be a *_windows.exe (installer for Garmin basecamp/mapsource windows, but there is not. Any ideas?

Thanks

Look here http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/G...sked_Questions

Basically it says the map can't be bigger than 2 Gb. There are options to work around the problem.

DR350 It'll get you there
But then so will my DR650

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote