Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #46
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Soichiro is spinning in his grave at 9000 rpm.

Look, Honda. It's not that hard. Just update the ST13, update the GL18, make a long distance ADV model of the NC700x bored to 800cc, and make a sexier CBR.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:28 PM   #47
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
Soichiro is spinning in his grave at 9000 rpm.

Look, Honda. It's not that hard. Just update the ST13, update the GL18, make a long distance ADV model of the NC700x bored to 800cc, and make a sexier CBR.
Don't you think that Soichiro would be pleased that some young Turks are stirring up the old farts a bit.

Honda are getting a bit rock and roll with this model..

And all the oldies want another Glenn Miller reboot.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #48
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post
New? Other than the styling, which is of less interest to non-posers, what's new about it?
There's only so much new you can do with a motorcycle. Unless you want to go with slightly ovalized wheels to give an offroad experience on the tarmac, then you have two round wheels, an engine, a frame and some body work. Only one of those elements lends itself well to creativity.
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #49
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,047
Looks like a slightly easier to ride version of this....

Old 03-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #50
JohninVT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
If it was JUST ugly, I could live with it. However, it has maybe 50hp...weighs 560lbs...has handlebars stolen from a Troybuilt rototiller and my wife says the seating position is similar to a gynecologists chair. Oh...and extrapolating an MSRP based on the DN-01....this two-wheeled bloodfart will be priced around 20k.

Umnnn....no.
JohninVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:27 PM   #51
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
For me I am naming it Porky Tron.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #52
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,360
Doesn't look like a "new riding experience", looks like a chopper riding experience, look at how far back the riders butt is from the front wheel, also handlebars look 3 ft back from the front wheel.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #53
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
There's only so much new you can do with a motorcycle. Unless you want to go with slightly ovalized wheels to give an offroad experience on the tarmac, then you have two round wheels, an engine, a frame and some body work. Only one of those elements lends itself well to creativity.
Somehow, I don't think they've hit the limit of the good things that can still be done with the frame, suspension, electronics, engine, braking, ergos, aerodynamics, etc.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #54
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Doesn't look like a "new riding experience", looks like a chopper riding experience
Well I'd say that chopper riding experience + auto transmission = new riding experience, because how many auto choppers can you name?
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #55
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Don't you think that Soichiro would be pleased that some young Turks are stirring up the old farts a bit.

Honda are getting a bit rock and roll with this model..
Unless you are planning to buy one of these ugly pikes of poo, this post is meaningless trolling, don't ah think?

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #56
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Unless you are planning to buy one of these ugly pikes of poo, this post is meaningless trolling, don't ah think?
No.

No more than I think some people might consider any currently produced ugly bike lustfull, and I don't, I'm obviously not the target audience. Neither am I going to go out and buy a top of the line Ducati for 60K regardless of how many ooooh and aaah's they get in the press. They are completely not applicable to me either. Should I bag out 99.9% of the bikes I will never buy?

Should I just sit here and run with the herd and dump on Honda for letting a bunch of young designers do something that is not targeting a bunch of conservative old cashed up bikers with stale old taste. Is that what you are saying?

Good on them. If it flunks I'll still give them kudos for looking forward and not producing yet another variation of a tired old theme and maybe just getting some young non western blood interested with some new stuff that doesn't look like something dad or grandad would ride.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 03-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #57
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
No.

No more than I think some people might consider any currently produced ugly bike lustfull, and I don't, I'm obviously not the target audience. Neither am I going to go out and buy a top of the line Ducati for 60K regardless of how many ooooh and aaah's they get in the press. They are completely not applicable to me either. Should I bag out 99.9% of the bikes I will never buy?

Should I just sit here and run with the herd and dump on Honda for letting a bunch of young designers do something that is not targeting a bunch of conservative old cashed up bikers with stale old taste. Is that what you are saying?

Good on them. If it flunks I'll still give them kudos for looking forward and not producing yet another variation of a tired old theme and maybe just getting some young non western blood interested with some new stuff that doesn't look like something dad or grandad would ride.
Fair comments, but for my conservative old cashed up stale self please tell me who IS the target audience for this.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #58
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
It's got to be one of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen and this is coming from someone who rides a maxi scooter.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:29 PM   #59
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Fair comments, but for my conservative old cashed up stale self please tell me who IS the target audience for this.
Well there are some clues.

It's designed bu young Japanese designers..Not young European ones and not American ones and the young Japanese designers thought this was a good thing. So something in there tells me that it may not aimed at Western markets.

Lots of references to Manga, not a western thing either. So just maybe it will be Japanese for Japanese. Judging by the reactions in the western press, I'd say that's about where it MAY work.

Quote:
While the look may rub traditionalists the wrong way, new riders might find its menacing, blacked-out stance just the thing to separate them from the retro-cafe and scooter crowd.
It's definitely is not a blend in bike is it?

Old 03-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #60
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
No dude... that is a pic of the new z1000... duh....
MariusD is online now   Reply With Quote