Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #61
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Where's the innovation? Ugly isn't new.
But its a new kind of ugly! You must admit we have not seen this before.

As opposed to the new bolt. Harley has been making that bike (sportster) for umteen years now, but yamaha had to make the exact same thing with their badge on it. Real innovative there...
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:29 AM   #62
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Unless you are planning to buy one of these ugly pikes of poo, this post is meaningless trolling, don't ah think?
I doubt seriously I'll buy one based on what I've seen, but I certainly appreciate what appears to be a drastic departure from the norm in styling. That level of "overstyling" may be what draws a few new riders onto two wheels. No other motorcycle company has been as busy as Honda has been over the last few years bringing out a completely revamped line-up of street motorcycles. Options are nice to have whether you exercise them or not.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:48 AM   #63
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
Well I'd say that chopper riding experience + auto transmission = new riding experience, because how many auto choppers can you name?
No longer in production, but since you asked:

http://www.ridleymotorcycle.com/motorcycles/
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #64
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
No.

No more than I think some people might consider any currently produced ugly bike lustfull, and I don't, I'm obviously not the target audience. Neither am I going to go out and buy a top of the line Ducati for 60K regardless of how many ooooh and aaah's they get in the press. They are completely not applicable to me either. Should I bag out 99.9% of the bikes I will never buy?

Should I just sit here and run with the herd and dump on Honda for letting a bunch of young designers do something that is not targeting a bunch of conservative old cashed up bikers with stale old taste. Is that what you are saying?

Good on them. If it flunks I'll still give them kudos for looking forward and not producing yet another variation of a tired old theme and maybe just getting some young non western blood interested with some new stuff that doesn't look like something dad or grandad would ride.
It doesn't make sense to me that you can consider making a god awful ugly "bike" a successful marketing ploy, when it has not spurred you to buy one. Either it makes you want to buy it or not, only one of those choices makes money for Honda. Just being "revolutionary" is not a recipe for success.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #65
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
I doubt seriously I'll buy one based on what I've seen, but I certainly appreciate what appears to be a drastic departure from the norm in styling. That level of "overstyling" may be what draws a few new riders onto two wheels. No other motorcycle company has been as busy as Honda has been over the last few years bringing out a completely revamped line-up of street motorcycles. Options are nice to have whether you exercise them or not.
Same thought here. If it draws "a few" riders to buy it simply because it's ugly (different is not the same as ugly) that doesn't make money for Honda. Making money is the game. What's funny is that Honda has so much success with their cars - precisely because they are not over stylized and silly experiments.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #66
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Same thought here. If it draws "a few" riders to buy it simply because it's ugly (different is not the same as ugly) that doesn't make money for Honda. Making money is the game. What's funny is that Honda has so much success with their cars - precisely because they are not over stylized and silly experiments.
But it worked so well for the AMC Pacer and Pontiac Aztek

When the Ford Taurus came out its styling was widely remarked upon. Now most sedans look something like that. It was different, and I suppose creative, but not over the top. The Aztek, well....it was just ugly. Not a horrible little car, but ugly. The frunk is creative. Ugly is just ugly although sometimes ugly grows on a person. When I bought the GS I thought it was pretty homely. Now I think it looks pretty damn good. Who knows? 30 years from now the Vultus may be the norm
Old 03-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #67
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
But it worked so well for the AMC Pacer and Pontiac Aztek

When the Ford Taurus came out its styling was widely remarked upon. Now most sedans look something like that. It was different, and I suppose creative, but not over the top. The Aztek, well....it was just ugly. Not a horrible little car, but ugly. The frunk is creative. Ugly is just ugly although sometimes ugly grows on a person. When I bought the GS I thought it was pretty homely. Now I think it looks pretty damn good. Who knows? 30 years from now the Vultus may be the norm
The Pacer is a beauty, and is a highly sought after collectors item.

Sadly abominations like the Vultus may indeed become the norm. And it may not take 30 years. Just look what has happened to motorcycle design in the last 30 years. Honda used to build some of the most beautiful bikes in the world, including all the original CB series. Now they build some of the ugliest.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #68
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
I do think Honda needs to amp it up a bit on their slow-selling Accura line, whose looks are rather pedestrian (IMHO) now that they've softened that ugly (again, IMHO) parrot-beak. As for the Vultus, it will be interesting to see the extent to which that styling exercise translates into money. I am thinking the manga influence might just help Accura more than the motorcycle division.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA
popscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #69
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The Pacer is ... a highly sought after collectors item.

I didn't know that. I do know that when they were new they were considered, um, er, "creative"
Old 03-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #70
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,200
The Honda Vultus is "revulting".
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #71
Dav101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Why am I so drawn to this bike?

Is it because I love scooters?

Is it because I have always wanted to try Honda's new automatic transmission scheme?

Is it because I have always wanted to try the capped RPM New Concept engine?

Is it because this engine in concert with this crazy aerodynamic capacity might actually get real world 80mpg figures, or better?

Is it because the bagged version might make complete sense for long highway droning (the horror of motorcycling) with the bike being more protective, interesting and comfortable?

Is it because this might become THE new Gold Wing by the younger generations?

Is it because so many express their disdain for it's looks?

Is it because with the addition of just a GPS and its' inherent riding simplicity it might open the flood gates for big travels by a whole generation of young riders?

I mean, I have no discernible appreciation for Manga (although I like the Judge Dredd call outs). I'm 44 for crying out loud! I shouldn't be enamored with this bike. It will make my Fury and NT700V unnecessary.

Would I be so attracted to it if it was my only bike? God no. But, ...I have a collection of eclectic bikes and perhaps that makes me non-dependent on it in this regard.

If this gets offered in the U.S. at some point (and judging by the way Honda has gone after the younger new rider market, we all know it will) I will have to have one - the bagger version... in bright fire engine red ...with white racing stripes ...and a giant wing logo on each side across the rear bags.

When I saw this comparison it sealed the deal for me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
I know, I'm alone here but what can I say... Honda is working their Voodoo on me.

Cross posted in Battle Scooters
Dav101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #72
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 652
it ain't to my tastes, but the wider the variety of bikes/scoots on the road, the better i say...

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #73
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
It's hideous... but... honda is stepping out of the comfort zone and innovating. Have to respect that.

Best regards,
^ ... Not that hideous.
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #74
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav101 View Post
Why am I so drawn to this bike?

Is it because I love scooters?
I think that helps. I am not at all repulsed by this bike either, and I also ride scooters... it might not be an accident. Honda continues to blur the lines between scooter and motorbike, in fact they pretty much made them one and the same with their NC700 line and this 'forward-heavy design' as they call it will definitely be more familiar to riders of Integra (scooters, not cars), T-Max or, well, pretty much any maxi scooter. But that 'forward-heavy' thing is something that has been cropping up in concept bikes for a while now, and in a more extreme form - for example I remember Suzuki Biplane concept from a few years ago:

ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #75
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,695

The more I look at this bike the more I like it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote