Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #76
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
It doesn't make sense to me that you can consider making a god awful ugly "bike" a successful marketing ploy, when it has not spurred you to buy one. Either it makes you want to buy it or not, only one of those choices makes money for Honda. Just being "revolutionary" is not a recipe for success.
It's not about THIS bike, or ME. It's about Honda taking risks again, with a new generation. It's what this bike represents. A change in culture to some extent.

Honda has not replaced it's whole motorcycle line with THIS bike either. Hell it's not even a new bike. It's just a full dress NC750 DCT. If it only sells 1 I am sure Honda will still be the best selling manufacture on the planet after they have crushed the first production run of add ons. I personally find it less repulsive than a full dress two tone Harley or Vulcan.

Honda has actually taken a "concept bike", designed by new blood, delivered it, without watering it down to a shadow of it's former self and put it into production. I don't find it any more offensive than other full dress bikes out there. That's what I like about this move. I don't have to love this particular bike to appreciate Honda letting some young blood have a go. It's better than releasing yet another retro bike designed by committee to be safe and you don't move forward without taking chances. I don't see it outselling a Ninja 300 here. Honda doesn't have to make every bike a huge success. They have plenty of bikes. They are just taking a risk with one variant on one platform. If it doesn't go anywhere then they hopefully get the young designers who feel invested in this bike will go onto to understand a bit more about how to move things forward without offending too many people. They may understand what works and what doesn't. They may even get other designers wanting to join the company knowing that they may be able to make a difference, one or two of whom might be really talented. The more they can attract the better. And the sooner they figure out what will work in the new growing economies with the new rich, the better.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 05:20 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #77
zedXmick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Reminds me of the DN-01, I liked the DN-01, found a new one for a blow out price two years ago...thousands off MSRP....bike was to cramped for me. Bars were way to close to my upper body.

The Vultus has some great tech....750 twin, DCT,it will get outstanding gas mileage.... I like it....I'll wait two or three years and get a new leftover for thousands off MSRP. As a future owner,It will be one rare bike indeed. To bad Honda didn't go with belt drive.
zedXmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #78
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 3,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post

The more I look at this bike the more I like it.
It's not April 1st yet.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #79
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
I don't see it outselling a Ninja 300 here.
They might not even bring it here because we are a very conservative lot, and in any case they already have the Integra for those few weirdos who might be able to get past the stereotypes... To be honest I personally would probably not be interested in it myself but not because of its 'out-there' styling - I just don't like the extremely feet-forward riding position, in other words, the conventional part of this bike it shares with all classic cruisers out there!
For the record, I am somewhat interested in the 750cc Integra.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #80
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
They might not even bring it here because we are a very conservative lot.
It's not only that, but the entire years sales of the most popular bikes would be considered dealer floor stock in some countries.

Quote:
and in any case they already have the Integra for those few weirdos who might be able to get past the stereotypes... .
Hell the NC700X was considered too weird, which I thought was weird considering the roads around here.

Anyway let's face it, this thing is different and I wouldn't expect to be popular at all for a while. It's a 1%ers crooter or scuiser or whatever it is. and by one percenters I mean those people that like it and really don't give a fuck about what others think, not the 40% of people who want people to think they are 1%ers just like the other 39.999%.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 07:41 PM
Old 03-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #81
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
It's not about THIS bike, or ME. It's about Honda taking risks again, with a new generation. It's what this bike represents. A change in culture to some extent.

Honda has not replaced it's whole motorcycle line with THIS bike either. Hell it's not even a new bike. It's just a full dress NC750 DCT. If it only sells 1 I am sure Honda will still be the best selling manufacture on the planet after they have crushed the first production run of add ons. I personally find it less repulsive than a full dress two tone Harley or Vulcan.

Honda has actually taken a "concept bike", designed by new blood, delivered it, without watering it down to a shadow of it's former self and put it into production. I don't find it any more offensive than other full dress bikes out there. That's what I like about this move. I don't have to love this particular bike to appreciate Honda letting some young blood have a go. It's better than releasing yet another retro bike designed by committee to be safe and you don't move forward without taking chances. I don't see it outselling a Ninja 300 here. Honda doesn't have to make every bike a huge success. They have plenty of bikes. They are just taking a risk with one variant on one platform. If it doesn't go anywhere then they hopefully get the young designers who feel invested in this bike will go onto to understand a bit more about how to move things forward without offending too many people. They may understand what works and what doesn't. They may even get other designers wanting to join the company knowing that they may be able to make a difference, one or two of whom might be really talented. The more they can attract the better. And the sooner they figure out what will work in the new growing economies with the new rich, the better.
Don't take this the wrong way, but this sounds like a bunch of politically correct, pie in the sky, gobblygook to me. Producing a trend setting model here and there or a new paradigm every now and then is good, but at the end of the day, it's about true innovation and sales.
If I were running honda, I would focus a lot less on what is essentially a concept bike and a lot more on products people will put their cash behind. I'd leave the brand enhancing, cutting edge, loss-leader products to the ones that would produce the most bang for the (lost) buck. Like making an expensive low volume, high technology liter class sport bike, or a limited edition gold wing. Not a scooter-cycle that got impregnated by a hentai tentacle pr0n monster aberration, that will comfortably hold an Asian school girl on her way to the local Starbucks.

Just my opinion of course.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #82
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I'd leave the brand enhancing, cutting edge, loss-leader products to the ones that would produce the most bang for the (lost) buck. Like making an expensive low volume, high technology liter class sport bike, or a limited edition gold wing. Not a scooter-cycle that got impregnated by a hentai tentacle pr0n monster aberration, that will comfortably hold an Asian school girl on her way to the local Starbucks.
What you're forgetting is that Asian market is where it's at - you really need to let go of the idea that American market is the most important one because in fact it is just a foot-note. A bike that appeals to an Asian girl *will* be success, even if it doesn't sell a single unit in the States.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:09 PM   #83
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but this sounds like a bunch of politically correct, pie in the sky, gobblygook to me.
Just my opinion of course.
Good to get it out there. You probably have a lot of support.

Quote:
Not a scooter-cycle that got impregnated by a hentai tentacle pr0n monster aberration, that will comfortably hold an Asian school girl on her way to the local Starbucks.
It's just wrong what these young people do isn't it? Alien sex, young schoolgirls, Starbucks. It's like Alice Cooper compared to the those fine upstanding Evily Brothers. Welcome to your nightmare.

GrahamD screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 10:37 PM
Old 03-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #84
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Quote:
What you're forgetting is that Asian market is where it's at - you really need to let go of the idea that American market is the most important one because in fact it is just a foot-note. A bike that appeals to an Asian girl *will* be success, even if it doesn't sell a single unit in the States.
You need to let go of the anti-American media-fed-zombie nonsense when you opine. I'm a world traveling American working for a global company, and I understand that in number of units sold, America is a small market. (Lot bigger than the "land of jumping ants that can kill you" market though ) believe it or not, in between chewing tobacco, clinging to my bible while I shoot my gun and drive my pickup truck drunk, I actually do get my passport stamped occasionally.

And I didn't say it will appeal to an Asian girl - I said it would hold her 105lb 5'2" frame while she rides to Starbucks texting on her mobile. (Stereotypes are fun )

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
Old 03-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #85
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Quote:
Good to get it out there. You probably have a lot of support.

It's just wrong what these young people do isn't it? Alien sex, young schoolgirls, Starbucks. It's like Alice Cooper compared to the those fine upstanding Evily Brothers. Welcome to your nightmare.
I'm not that old dammit! And get offa my lawn!

Old 03-23-2014, 10:44 PM   #86
HondaFanatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Damn, 6 pages of mostly "UGGGG ABORTION!!!" posts. I knew this bike would get ADVrider feathers ruffled

Thing is, I don't think Honda designed this bike for us...any of us here. They're looking to get NEW asses (ie: younger and don't already own a bike) in their seats. We're for the most part, purists. We'll buy or build something on 2 wheels because we already have the desire to ride. Honda is looking at those that don't feel like we do. That is yet, anyway

Google "Honda NM4 Vultus" and click on any article that's NOT from a motorcycle site. Tech sites, car sites, etc. Hell, it even made the home page of BBC's Topgear. Non-bike people love the styling! Here's a sampling from some articles:

"If this is not sold in the US, it would be just one more shot in the gut from Honda." - Yahoo

"
The young social media-engaged urbanite lives a digital existence in a fast moving world. And they’re totally engaged by the new. Without question, the NM4 Vultus is just that. It is avant-garde in both the way it looks but also, and perhaps more importantly, in the detail work that has gone into creating a unique riding experience. The reactive dashboard – with colours that change depending on driving mode – and flip-up pillion seat that acts as rider backrest are just two examples." - Topspeed.com

"If this bike rides half as good as it looks, then it’s hats off to Honda once more." - Auotevolution.com

"Whoa, that’s a pretty sweet-looking concept bike
Oh, it’s no concept – Honda has actually put the NM4 Vultus into full production. We’ll agree with you that it’s sweet-looking though." - Stuff.tv

"The design embraces those iconic angled lines of the B-2 stealth bomber and its matte finish, but most importantly - it exudes that same ominous presence." - Complex.com

And this quote from a automobile design website sums it up best:

"Created by a young design team who remained true to their original concept at every stage through to production, the NM4 Vultus brings radical style to the streets, with function from the future for a new breed of rider. The NM4 represents a machine capable of crossing traditional two-wheeled lines and reaching out to a wider audience." - Motoroids.com

Now, if you really want to know what non-riders think about the Vultus, read the comment sections of these same articles:

"Stop… Just fucking stop this shit. My dick can only get so erect"

"Looks better with the backrest/pillion seat folded down. The exhaust is a letdown since it doesn’t follow the body’s design. Aside from those. the bike visually kicks ass!"

"This is interesting and I think I want one."

"Uhm. It’s really awesome, that’s all I gotta say."

"What a badass looking bike that is. Love it!"

"I want one!!!"

"DN-01 for 21. century. Hell yeah, I want one!!! Thank you Honda for listening to us, maxiscooter afectionados who want something big without fuss with clutch."

"I hate to say this because I hate bikes, but this bike, I quite like it, what's wrong with me?"

Sounds to me like the Honda designers are getting the exact response they wanted, and from WHOM they wanted too. I can't remember the last time I saw so many articles about a new bike introduction, on non-motorcycle websites.

HondaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:15 PM   #87
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaFanatic View Post

Sounds to me like the Honda designers are getting the exact response they wanted, and from WHOM they wanted too. I can't remember the last time I saw so many articles about a new bike introduction, on non-motorcycle websites.
You mean will have to put up with a bunch of new riders who don't know what a Cafe Racer is? Oh the horror

"Yes old man" they will say as they jump aboard their Xbox-mobile and stealth off into the night, manga style.

Just no respect I say. No respect.

Well researched I say HondaFanatic.

GrahamD screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 11:23 PM
Old 03-24-2014, 01:25 AM   #88
jsalman93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
So.... it's an automatic motorcycle that is disguised under the guise of a scooter. Honda is seriously trying to push into the world of automatic motorcycles. Honda NC 700 DCT, vfr, and this thing. Wondering if it actually pays off for them

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:16 AM   #89
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalman93 View Post
Honda is seriously trying to push into the world of automatic motorcycles,
Yes, clearly they've decided this is the direction they want to go. They might be right, too: consider the number of CVT-equipped scooters that are already out there, the number of cars with auto transmissions, the number of so-called 'drivers' (especially in USA) who don't even know how to drive manual any more, and the fact that many performance, enthusiast-oriented car brands are abandoning manual transmissions (Ferrari, Porsche)... they just might be onto something. Honda is like Microsoft of 2-wheel world: they have enough resources and persistence to set the course and follow it until it pays off, regardless of initial resistance.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:23 AM   #90
Omarius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Beauty, I suppose, is in the eye of the beholder.
Omarius is offline   Reply With Quote