Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
Rydah OP
Remember the Night Rydah!

Oddometer: 212
Eh? How to dual-sport route in Basecamp

I'm sure it's been asked before, but I can't seem to find my answer. While trying to create routes in Basecamp, I use the "motorcycle" activity mode. Most of my rides begin/end in towns, so roads on the map are apparent, and the routes snap to these easily as I create viapoints. My problem arises though when I occasionally have to go off-road where the map shows no roads. No matter what profile I choose (direct, etc.), it just keeps creating straight lines back to my last point on the road. instead of continuing on to the next viapoint I choose. Is there a way to accomplish this?
2006 Honda XR650R - Plated
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,049
Yes all routing of Routes must be on routable roads in your map set, otherwise straight line between roads it knows.

To go off roads on your map just use Tracks, you can draw them anywhere.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:38 AM   #3
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,737
What are you going to load it into?

Tracks have many advantages for adventure riding because they don't rely on roads - but if you are looking for auto routing, most units don't do that (track navigation) these days.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:05 AM   #4
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 636
Which flavour of BaseCamp? Mac BaseCamp supports mixed routing that can include "Direct" in Trip Planner. The problem may lie in the GPS you upload to. No many units will support this function. Tracks may be your best bet as noted.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:33 AM   #5
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydah View Post
I'm sure it's been asked before, but I can't seem to find my answer. While trying to create routes in Basecamp, I use the "motorcycle" activity mode. Most of my rides begin/end in towns, so roads on the map are apparent, and the routes snap to these easily as I create viapoints. My problem arises though when I occasionally have to go off-road where the map shows no roads. No matter what profile I choose (direct, etc.), it just keeps creating straight lines back to my last point on the road. instead of continuing on to the next viapoint I choose. Is there a way to accomplish this?
When you get to a "no road" spot, switch to "direct" routing click on every turn in the that section, then switch back to the original type routing, and continue.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #6
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
When you get to a "no road" spot, switch to "direct" routing click on every turn in the that section, then switch back to the original type routing, and continue.
+1. This kind of works in Basecamp. The problem is if you have done this and then go back and make a change. Basecamp will recompute the whole route based on whatever routing mode you are in when making the change. This generally results in a complete disaster.

Mapsource handles this much better. It does not recomputed the whole route when you make a change.

I guess in Basecamp you could make different routes for different types of routing and then splice them together by converting to tracks. If I only had Basecamp this is probably what I would do.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
Rydah OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
+1. This kind of works in Basecamp. The problem is if you have done this and then go back and make a change. Basecamp will recompute the whole route based on whatever routing mode you are in when making the change. This generally results in a complete disaster.

Mapsource handles this much better. It does not recomputed the whole route when you make a change.

I guess in Basecamp you could make different routes for different types of routing and then splice them together by converting to tracks. If I only had Basecamp this is probably what I would do.
Exactly! I used to be able to do this with Mapsource, and it was no problem. In there, direct meant just that. Basecamp makes it impossible because of the different "activity" modes. I even tried doing it in hiking mode, and it wouldn't let me. Is there some setting I'm missing? Seems like walking or hiking modes should let you go wherever you want, and not have to rely of a road being there. Even when I'm in direct activity mode, it snaps to roads when I'm creating a route along a road showing on the map. Shouldn't it just be straight lines if I use only two points?
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
Old 03-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
Rydah OP

Well, found out that you cannot just change activity profiles while making a route and expect it to actually change. So what I've had to do it use "motorcycle" activity profile for my on road routing, but then have to make a new, separate route using "direct" for the off (no) road sections. I have to actually make separate routes though, as they will not seem to work with both. How can they call this an improvement over Mapsource?
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
Old 03-25-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
I don't know if you have this option, but I switch routing modes be just switching the mapsets.

I use City Navigator when I want autorouting and use Topo 100k when I want direct routing.

But as noted previously this is pretty useless in Basecamp since if you make a change, it recalculates the whole route.

I got curious yesterday and looked around for a way to switch between direct and autorouting and couldn't find it anywhere. Sounds like it's associated with profiles.

Making different routes for different segments might not be too bad if you actually navigate using tracks like several of us do. You can convert the routes to tracks and then use track join to splice the tracks together.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #10
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,036
The workflow for creating Mixed-Travel Routes in the Win-BC version is very bad. It is being fixed in the v4.3 but that is only in Beta at the moment. Here is the easy way to create your Win-BC Mixed-Travel Routes currently.
  1. Create your route types individually (Motorcycle, Direct, Motorcycle, etc.).
  2. You are going to combine them so if you want to keep the individual Routes, Duplicate them and use the Duplicates for the following operation.
  3. With the [Duplicate] Routes in the same List, select the Routes in the order of travel.
  4. Once selected, right-click and select ADVANCED option.
  5. Select, JOIN THE SELECTED ROUTES.
  6. You now have a single Mixed-Travel Route. BUT, as was noted previously, your selection of GPS will determine whether you can use a Mixed-Travel Route or not. If you are using a Handheld GPS, only the Montana supports Mixed-Travel Routes.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
Rydah OP

DRTBYK, seems like I tried that already, but it recalculated when I did.
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
Old 03-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #12
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydah View Post
DRTBYK, seems like I tried that already, but it recalculated when I did.
Works for me in Win-BC v4.2.5: just created another one. If it gets recalculated in your GPS that's a GPS issue as I noted.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #13
b rad
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I have discovered that you can change the activity type of each waypoint when building a route in basecamp. So if basecamp tries to route you the faster, less fun way to a waypoint, open the route properties menu(double click the route). Right click on a waypoint and Edit Via Point. You can now change the activity and routing until you reach the next waypoint. I usually alternate between the Driving, Motorcycling, and Dirt Biking activities.
I have used this a few times now and it translates perfectly to my Montana, however i have yet to use it anywhere that a road is not registered in City Nav.
b rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:48 AM   #14
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

That's the other way to create a Mixed-Travel Route...see post #10 above.

IF your GPS accepts saved Routes without recalculating them, like the Montana, you can have a route that follows along-roads and where there are no roads on the map: Mixed-Travel.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-28-2014, 01:12 AM   #15
Rydah OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Works for me in Win-BC v4.2.5: just created another one. If it gets recalculated in your GPS that's a GPS issue as I noted.
Yep, you are correct. Just tried it using your post#10 instructions, and it worked! Did it as three routes (on road, direct, on road) then combined them. Thanks!
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom