User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
ValpoFz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Using a Garmin 600 Montana with a Macbook Air?

Does any one have experience using this combination? I have been thinking about getting a one just concerned about compatibility.
ValpoFz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
udoggie
Top Dog

Oddometer: 51
I use a macbook air with my Garmin Zumo and the wife's Garmin 1490, and it works just fine. I usually end up using mapquest to generate my routes and upload directly to the GPS.

I can't speak to the montana directly though, sorry. I think their software is pretty generic to all garmin's.

UD
udoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #3
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,064
No problems... what concerns you? All macs that run the same OS version are going to function the same...
Old 03-26-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
ValpoFz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
No problems... what concerns you? All macs that run the same OS version are going to function the same...
Just want to make sure that I can use it that's all, I am not really GPS software knowledgable. A few years ago I tried loading tracks into my 550 and could never get them to load. So I tried pruning them down and that worked but I couldn't load enough Into it to actually work. Basically, it was very frustrating and I do t want to repeat the experience. I want a GPS that I can pull tracks down and load them with out losing my mind, well what's left of it anyway.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoFz View Post
Just want to make sure that I can use it that's all, I am not really GPS software knowledgable. A few years ago I tried loading tracks into my 550 and could never get them to load. So I tried pruning them down and that worked but I couldn't load enough Into it to actually work. Basically, it was very frustrating and I do t want to repeat the experience. I want a GPS that I can pull tracks down and load them with out losing my mind, well what's left of it anyway.
In short, a macbook air would not give you any more or less frustrations with the device than any other mac or any windows PC for that matter. Garmin Basecamp is essentially the same on any platform.

The GPS itself may have limitations - sounds like you came up upon the maximum track points that the Zumo 550 supported. Not at all related to the computer you were using.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
ValpoFz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That's what I figured coupled with not being to bright or to patient did make a successful combination. I found the Montana on Amazon for $421.