Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2014, 08:37 PM   #31
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,565
I owned a 1976 SOHC CB750K model and pit about 35,000 miles on it . Nice workhorse of a bike. In 1979 they ceased making the SOHC and did a totally now design for the CB750F and K. In 1980 my wife and I made our first trip to Maui. I rented a 1979 CB750F model and rode all over the island putting over 500 miles on it in 5 days. I thI'd go for that bike. But, I've heard great things about the GS850G's too. The only negatives I ever heard were they were a bit on the heavy side, and they were geared a bit low (or, at least some owners and reviewers thought so.

The ones I'd really like were the CB900F and CB1100F.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:56 PM   #32
MacMcMacmac
Seahorse Farrier

Oddometer: 142
850 is an over bored 750. Heavier than a 1000g. Stone ax reliable once the electrics are sorted (easy fix ) . Last of the classic GS bikes built (up to 1987) and the biggest seller overall. I am a big GS fan, but they never appealed to me in the least. The Honda is a nicer looking bike, but I hate Hondas after owning a POS CB650 as a first bike. Frankly, I'd pass on both unless your budget limits you. Parts availability has to become a problem at some point.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:50 AM   #33
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,550
The CB looks better to many. But if they were in the same condition, I would even pay extra for the GS850. It's just a better all around bike. The F model CB was actually my least favorite at the time, I preferred the CB750K or the CB750 Custom
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #34
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,892
I haven't read all the replies, so forgive my laziness if this has already been said, but -

I don't think asking the internet to make a purchasing decision between two 30+ year old bikes is a good idea. They were both great bikes when they were new - but now it would depend on the condition, mileage, parts availability, history. Do they both run? You will need to test ride both of them.

Having said that - if it were me, I have always wanted a big Suzuki G bike from that era, but if the Honda is just around the corner and in good shape, I would probably go with the local bike.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #35
roma258 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Just realized that the GS850 is the GL model, i.e. cruiser. I think if it was standard that'd be the winner (just for the fact of knowing its history). But I'm just much more into standards then cruisers. Might hit the pause and look around some more. Again, just looking for something decent to ride around on, has to be highway capable. We're down to one car, it would have to get me out of town if need be, while I work on fixing my previous street bike (Aprilia Tuono- crashed at the track )
roma258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:08 AM   #36
DrDaytona
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
I am a BIG fan of the CB750F, my '82 was my first bike and I still have it. That said, buying any 30 yo bike for primary transportation comes with some risk. The two areas most likely to give you trouble are the charging system and the brakes. The first due to abuse and the second from age. In both cases, the parts area available but spendy.

I'd be shopping for an EX500 or similar, something more modern but cheap.
DrDaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:09 AM   #37
roma258 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I haven't read all the replies, so forgive my laziness if this has already been said, but -

I don't think asking the internet to make a purchasing decision between two 30+ year old bikes is a good idea. They were both great bikes when they were new - but now it would depend on the condition, mileage, parts availability, history. Do they both run? You will need to test ride both of them.

Having said that - if it were me, I have always wanted a big Suzuki G bike from that era, but if the Honda is just around the corner and in good shape, I would probably go with the local bike.
Fair point, I'm just having fun with it. Both bikes kind of popped onto my radar out of the blue, so you know, to the internets!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:11 AM   #38
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317

I just bought this in October.

The prices on the Hondas and Kawasakis have skyrocketed. I think the Suzukis might be next.

www.gsresources Might be the best model specific website out there...amazing amount of help if you own a GS.

The red GS above was traded in by its original owner, an ex-Suzuki employee.

It is the 69th 4 stroke motorcycle Suzuki brought into the states.

All original, (except bars & grips) with about 25K on the clock, runs great.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #39
Flying Frisian
Born to Ride

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post

I just bought this in October.

The prices on the Hondas and Kawasakis have skyrocketed. I think the Suzukis might be next.

www.gsresources Might be the best model specific website out there...amazing amount of help if you own a GS.

The red GS above was traded in by its original owner, an ex-Suzuki employee.

It is the 69th 4 stroke motorcycle Suzuki brought into the states.

All original, (except bars & grips) with about 25K on the clock, runs great.
I had lots of GS's and CB's back in the eighties. In this picture I am trying to get my younger brothers interested in bikes. It worked, they now both ride. These are 1977 GS750 and 1978 CB750(K?)

2011 R1200RT, 1983 R65 (winter project)
Flying Frisian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #40
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Frisian View Post
I had lots of GS's and CB's back in the eighties. In this picture I am trying to get my younger brothers interested in bikes. It worked, they now both ride. These are 1977 GS750 and 1978 CB750(K?)

Cool bikes, I'm digging that awesome fairing on that Suzuki, that must have been outrageous looking on a street bike back then....Who was the manufacturer? Pichler?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #41
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,987
it looks like its pretty even! Is anyone keep a tally?

lets make it as hard as we can on the OP...... I guess bottom line is that one of them will speak to you, get that one.

having said that, get the CB

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #42
trevorf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma258 View Post
Just realized that the GS850 is the GL model, i.e. cruiser. I think if it was standard that'd be the winner (just for the fact of knowing its history). But I'm just much more into standards then cruisers. Might hit the pause and look around some more. Again, just looking for something decent to ride around on, has to be highway capable. We're down to one car, it would have to get me out of town if need be, while I work on fixing my previous street bike (Aprilia Tuono- crashed at the track )
Well that was a waste of time. The L, or ladies bike sucks!! I can't stress this enough! Bad bars, bad seat, bad handling, small tank, uuuuuugleeeee!! I love my Suzukis but the L bike is just brutal!
trevorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #43
roma258 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorf View Post
Well that was a waste of time. The L, or ladies bike sucks!! I can't stress this enough! Bad bars, bad seat, bad handling, small tank, uuuuuugleeeee!! I love my Suzukis but the L bike is just brutal!
Ha, sorry!! I've enjoyed this though, the bikes of that era are very interesting to me, maybe because they're the same age as I am. But they're relatively cheap, aren't too precious (a la the 60s Brit bikes, and increasingly the early '70s Japanese bikes too) and I actually like their looks. Will definitely look to get a GS or CB in the near future.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #44
4Cammer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I have a 78 GS750C and one of my amigos has a 81 750F. I like both bikes but if I were to pick I'd take my GS any day.
4Cammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #45
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,987
So far the tally is roughly as follows:

CB: 9 votes
GS: 7 votes
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post