User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 767
Hit a barb wire gate at 30 mph *video*

I made a bonehead mistake and was watching the ground in front of my bike and not scanning ahead. I was focused on a pipe i had to cross and not what was past it. I smacked into a barb wire fence at somewhere near 30. Hope this helps give someone a wake up call to not do the same thing. I also didn't have on my offroad boots and hit my shin on left leg pretty hard. Cut up right leg and bruised shoulder and ribs. Bike is mostly fine except for scratches and a bent handguard.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wPh2-gyXl8

OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Glad you and the bike were unhurt for the most part. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't see the barbwire until the slo-mo replay. It would have been easy for someone to tie a white rag or ribbon around those wires. Again, glad you walked away.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
That was an unpleasant looking stop.
Glad you're ok, mostly. Wire can be heinous, and the posts. Whether they're together, or separate. Fixate is for where you stop. Riding is some kind of dynamic focus. If your focus gets out of sync even slow can be unsafe.

Buddy of mine riding a mine road hooked a low telephone type line with his neck and managed to stop just as it was at end of slack and pulling him off the bike. A little faster woulda been bad.

It's easy to look past a wire then actually see it when it's too late. Hell, I've even seen boulders, rocks, stumps, ditches when it's too late. Even big shit can escape your notice when your not paying proper attention.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Thanks for the educational VIDEO.

You're lucky it wasn't worse. Little pink ribbons were barely noticeable until you were on the ground.

Thanks for sharing. Glad you were not hurt too bad...
Old 03-31-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 733
I've got a 4" long scar on my left arm from a similar incident. I'm thankful that my fence wasn't a little higher... My accident was an eye opener that makes me wear my gear 100% of the time.
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
damn that was scary, barb wire is some dangerous stuff.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:40 PM   #7
Pansy
Not much of an Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,867
Any idea why the barbed wire was out there in the 1st place?

Was it new? Shouldn't there have been signage if they didn't want riders on that stretch of road?

Glad you're OK!
Old 03-31-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
Oc1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Man you were lucky. I had a friend who died on three wheeler hitting a fence when I was young. Scary stuff. Glad you weren't hurt badly.
Oc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:08 AM   #9
riverflow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I hit a single strand of barbed wire sliding about 5mph. I was running up cemetery roads in the rural parts and decided to see what was farther up one. Didn't see a no trespassing sign so I kept on the road. There was a lot of mud so I wasn't going more than 10-15 mph to start, but when I hit the brakes I just slid right through it. No damage to me or the bike and I just tied the wire back up. Enough to remind me to pay more attention to surroundings for clues though.

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:46 AM   #10
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,688
Glad you were relatively unhurt

Ran through one of them on my Z50 when I was 12 or so, forgot to stay on the single track next to the car path. Caught the bars and flipped it.

I got up, amazed I was unhurt, only lose my sight. Came to find i caught a barb in the forehead and needed a few stiches. Talk about bleeding, I soaked my t shirt in 5 minutes.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #11
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansy View Post
Any idea why the barbed wire was out there in the 1st place?

Was it new? Shouldn't there have been signage if they didn't want riders on that stretch of road?

Glad you're OK!

Lots of pipeline traffic in this part of the country. I'm guessing it was a new road for pipeline access and they had not got the cattle guards in yet. No fences on either side of the road.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #12
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,789
Riding along in open country,there are fence posts on either side of the road and a gate. All open before the fence posts.

This happens off and on all day long riding in the Nevada desert,but if your not scanning constantly/watching what your doing,a guy could pop his head off on a wire gate. Fence posts are pretty obvious and signal possible gate.

Gotta look ahead not down,your camera/helmet is pointing at the ground in ft of the bike before you hit.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #13
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Riding along in open country,there are fence posts on either side of the road and a gate. All open before the fence posts.

This happens off and on all day long riding in the Nevada desert,but if your not scanning constantly/watching what your doing,a guy could pop his head off on a wire gate. Fence posts are pretty obvious and signal possible gate.

Gotta look ahead not down,your camera/helmet is pointing at the ground in ft of the bike before you hit.

the camera angle was off, its not exactly where i was looking, but yes i was looking way to short and not far enough.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #14
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey78 View Post
It would have been easy for someone to tie a white rag or ribbon around those wires. Again, glad you walked away.
Yep, easy!

Old 04-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #15
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
My first "real" bike crash was plowing straight into a barbed wire fence on my brand new Honda XR75 lol

I had practiced pretend clutch-in-throttle-off-shift-up-clutch-out-throttle-on every waking and sleeping moment for weeks before the bike arrived, and was a perfect natural master of it way ahead of time, if I do say so myself. Not the tiniest problem doing the clutch and shift thing.

What I neglected to imagine and pretend practice, was the whole "need to brake suddenly" thing.

First long road behind the houses and I was off like a shot and into top gear, throttle pegged, shouting for glee.

Seeing the fence across the path and that very special feeling of utterly frozen Auuuugh! *crash* is one I will remember to my grave
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote