ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 98 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #16
EmmEff OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by quint7 View Post
So no option for Sirius/XM Satellite radio like the 550/665?
I noticed that as well... IMO, I think satellite radio is dying and if not, it's certainly not what it used to be. I am a Sirius subscriber and have been for a long time, but I don't think it's what it used to be.

Quote:
That would be great if it caused the price for the 665 to drop. The ability to add Sat. radio is the only reason I'm considering a GPS instead of just using my phone. Lotta places in 'Merica with no cell phone data signal and GB's aren't free anymore on Verizon.
I agree with you there.
EmmEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #17
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
I noticed that as well... IMO, I think satellite radio is dying and if not, it's certainly not what it used to be. I am a Sirius subscriber and have been for a long time, but I don't think it's what it used to be.

I agree with you there.
Yeah, I'm a 20+ year Stern fan and he is pretty much unlistenable now (when he is even on live). I listen to shows on Radio Classics and 60's-90's music and that's about it, the rest I could give 2 poops about.

But it is nice to not have to hunt for AM stations in West Texas on road trips.
If there was a antenna/receiver dongle thing that plugged right into a phone to allow reception when there is no cell signal (like how can work the GPS on phones with the right downloads) that would be great.

I'll be watching prices on the 665 for the next couple of months...... since it looks like decent riding weather (i.e. no snowsuit type clothing needed) is still months away here.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:21 AM   #18
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Just like a Rugged Mount...

This mount cradle is a HUGE improvement over the Zumo 360/390 cradle which has been a disaster.

It appears that they are going back to 12 volt supply rather than the 5 volt remote regulator setup that is used on the 360/390.

We have an old Zumo 450 that is 8 or 9 years old and still going strong without a failure. We also have a Montana which has also been across Europe and Central Asia and up to the Arctic Circle and back and is running without issues.

We purchase a Zumo 360 and the cradle electrical contacts died on the first day of the first ride. We cannot keep that cradle alive. We finally hacked a hole in the back so we could plug in a USB power plug.

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:53 AM   #19
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
What has changed ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:28 AM   #20
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
What has changed ?
In my case, Sirius has dropped some channels all together and on other ones refused to re-sign talent which has caused them to leave.
Channels I'm aware of being dropped/changed are:
Book Radio (audiobooks), Playboy (meh), Maxim (was funny sometimes), a lot of the music channels have changed to a 'similar' format but with different playlists, some of the news channels are gone (on both sides of the spectrum), Stern's 2nd Channel is pointless now and he only works 2-3 days a week on his regular one, I gave up on Raw Dog after Jim Brewer's show was canned.......

For sports I'm sure it's awesome. For music I recognize the playlists as being smaller than back in the days of AOR FM. For news? I do NPR sometimes but the 2-3 shows I listen to are on my local AM station at the same time so I'm only on Sirius to get better reception and Car Talk is done with new shows so there goes that. Even Radio Classics, which I genuinely love, is stuck replaying shows because there were only so many Jack Benny and The Shadow shows made. At least the guy who runs that makes a point of not replaying any shows for a year after their run on the channel.

Radio on the bike for me is really for those long roads to nowhere on the way to somewhere. It takes 4+ hours to get near anywhere 'interesting' from here (Pitt, Cleveland, NYC, Boston, Toronto, etc.) as I've explored this part of NY to the point that the first/last day of riding on a trip can seem like 'work'. Once I'm somewhere new I want to check stuff out and radio isn't a priority.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #21
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,364
Good points.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk Pro

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:14 AM   #22
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 489
Well, I was about to pull the trigger on a 665 for my new 1190 and think I'll wait for this one. 18 months at 0% from Best Buy for a purchase this size, so that'll help ease the blow.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #23
EmmEff OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
What has changed ?
The music stations I listen to don't have extensive playlists, so there is a lot of repetition of non-current songs where the backcatalogs are HUGE. As an, AC/DC has more than 2 songs, but Faction (typically) only plays 2 of their songs and I hear these same songs almost every day.

I cannot stand terrestrial radio, so I'll be with satellite radio indefinitely, but I liked Sirius a lot more a few years ago.
EmmEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #24
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 803
Definitely on my list to replace my aging but still functional Zumo 550. I've used my Zumo since early 2007 on both my VStrom and my KLX without any issues.

I have tried cell phone apps and thought about tablets but can't get over the rugged use that I put my Zumo 550 through the last 7+ years without a single issue other than a fairly hard downhill slippery mud crash on my KLX few years back that broke my cradle. Luckliy, I was able to buy another one from an inmate here.

If the 590 can do tracks better, this may now top my list!

Jon

VStromNC screwed with this post 04-04-2014 at 12:06 PM
VStromNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #25
Edder B
Meister Poser

Oddometer: 363
I've owned a Zumo 550 for a long time too, I think since 2005. I used the XM satellite feature for one season while doing some long distance rallies but nothing since then. The receiver is still in my drawer. So the satellite feature isn't a big deal to me.
I do listen to MP3 files from time to time but the GPS is priceless to me. I do a lot of touring here and in Europe so tracks are a must. The only issue for me with the 550 is it has locked up on me 3-4 times, mostly in Europe and for the first time here in the States just last week. This is critical for me since I lead tours and need some gas, coffee, or lunch info along the way. The bad thing is you have to take the 550 out of the mount, take out the 2mm screw in the back, remove the battery to reboot the 550. I did notice that the 590 and a quick release battery screw in the back which would make rebooting the device a lot easier.
So looking at replacing an older device with one that has a larger screen, the aforementioned battery screw, and other updates may make the 590 go to the top of my list.

"If you try to pass me you will die. I ride at the limit". Sigi Hoffman.

BMW F800GT, Triumph Scrambler
Edder B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #26
donmac
casual angler

Oddometer: 247
still no helmet to gps voice recognition via bluetooth for hands free navigation
donmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #27
Travex
Lost is found

Oddometer: 141
I'd have bought this had I not had such a negative experience with the 350LM. As a result, they've lost me as a customer.

2012 Super Tenere For Sale in "The Flea Market"

Travex screwed with this post 04-07-2014 at 07:50 AM
Travex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:32 AM   #28
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travex View Post
I'd have bought this had I not had such a negative experience with the 390LM. As a result, they've lost me as a customer.
Haven't they managed to fix all of the 350LM issues? They even gave it the ability to handle tracks.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #29
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travex View Post
I'd have bought this had I not had such a negative experience with the 350LM. As a result, they've lost me as a customer.
Found anything better?

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #30
Travex
Lost is found

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Haven't they managed to fix all of the 350LM issues? They even gave it the ability to handle tracks.
Hey Emoto, No, just posted a couple more recently experienced problems I had the other day in that other thread: Inverse altitude readings and non-highlighted/non-autocorrected simple route dysfunction.

Setting aside inflation adjusted figures and marketing psychology speculation, Garmin continues to offer feature-rich products, but it's the basics they still need to tend to before the bells and whistles. When navigation itself suffers while ancillary menu items don't, there's a problem.

Their motorcycle department could take some cues from their aviation folks down the hall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
Found anything better?
Sadly, no. I've always been an enthusiastic customer and proponent of Garmin products and never thought I'd need to consider a different brand. Of course nothing compares to Garmin's experience and heretofore quality, but my time with their 350 has been nothing short of abysmal.

This new 590 looks great, but so did the 350 going into it. I'm also put off by the TPMS sensors not being included in such a high price for a terrestrial unit.

I'm afraid the only thing that would get me back into a Garmin would be their taking this defect off my hands and replacing with their new offering.

At any rate, I hope for everyone's sake that the 590 is a success as these tools are indispensable to adventure riders.

2012 Super Tenere For Sale in "The Flea Market"

Travex is offline   Reply With Quote