User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #1
riverflow OP
Adventurous Commuter

Oddometer: 756
Remembering the horn?

Courtesy of a loud pipes thread: (please don't start another one here, the answer is always a resounding no on this site)

I started thinking about installing a Strebel horn because it would be nice to be able to be heard once in a while. The only problem with that is I don't ever use the horn I have now

Sure, I don't really bother with it because it's especially feeble and jocular, but I honestly forget it's there when I have a time to use it.

When do you use your horn?

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
GerJ
Blijde rijder

Oddometer: 114
When I need to.
GerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
I use my horn when I feel a need to make a vain attempt to get a motorist's attention to keep from getting run over...

In my experience, if you have time to use the horn, you have time to take evasive action. Conversely, if I am getting on the brakes, I don't need to be fumbling for the horn button.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
wecsoger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
When the kids are waving at me from the side of the road.

Touch a life now; the trajectory may change; twenty years from now they'll be the ones thumbing the horn button.
wecsoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:07 AM   #5
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 448
Stock horns are basically useless. Unless the other vehicle's operator has the window down and their head sticking out like a beagle in the wind, they'll never hear it. I've given up using the horn under most circumstances. I've contemplated mounting up a Strebel or similar.

On the other hand, when the oncoming traffic looks like its going to do something stupid, I just flip on my high beams. My Clearwater Glenda lights, normally running at about 30%, come on at full power with the high beams and that REALLY gets their attention!
dwestly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #6
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Very rarely do I use my horn in an accident avoidance scenario. In my experience if someone pull out in front of me and I use my horn (I have a nice loud set of Hellas) their instinct is to stop. Which means I have the broadside of a car to avoid, rather than just the tail end. Now if I am on the highway and someone is merging on me, I will use the horn, but three times I have found that knocking on the drivers side window was more useful.

All in all I use my horn more for greeting or saying good bye than for accident avoidance.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Once every 12,000km. Well... the mechanic does use it once every 12,000km, when he checks the whole bike.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #8
canoeguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecsoger View Post
When the kids are waving at me from the side of the road.
This.

When I am pissed I am usually just screaming into my helmet in a rage hoping they can read the virulent nature of my eyes in regards to their indiscretion of trying to kill me.
canoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #9
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by r60man View Post
Now if I am on the highway and someone is merging on me, I will use the horn, but three times I have found that knocking on the drivers side window was more useful.

Have you had to resort to using the door chime?

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwestly View Post
Stock horns are basically useless. Unless the other vehicle's operator has the window down and their head sticking out like a beagle in the wind, they'll never hear it. I've given up using the horn under most circumstances. I've contemplated mounting up a Strebel or similar.

On the other hand, when the oncoming traffic looks like its going to do something stupid, I just flip on my high beams. My Clearwater Glenda lights, normally running at about 30%, come on at full power with the high beams and that REALLY gets their attention!
I do the same thing-- on the /5 the horn button is on the same control as the high-beam switch (the button is pushed, the switch is flipped), so the high beams are flipped on as I'm going for the horn button. I use the horn quite proactively to alert other drivers to my presence, especially if my Spidey-Sense tells me they aren't paying enough attention. I don't go around honking all the time, but I don't hesitate to give a blast from the Phasers and Photon Torpedoes. And I do that as I setting up for evasive action if need be.

It's a jungle out there... :)

--Bill
Old 04-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #11
riverflow OP
Adventurous Commuter

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
In my experience, if you have time to use the horn, you have time to take evasive action. Conversely, if I am getting on the brakes, I don't need to be fumbling for the horn button.
My initial reaction is always to focus on avoiding whoever is trying to kill me at the moment. Brakes, swerving, whatever.

And I will flash my lights when I'm coming up on a car turning left or the like, but my headlight's only a few steps above my horn (both stock).

So basically it's impossible to be heard, and you roll the dice whether or not you're seen, and then they roll again to see if the cager is going to care that you're there or not. Good to know

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #12
SamRus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
I use my horn almost every time I ride.
If a car is getting ready to pull out of an alley, or make a left turn from oncoming direction, I just bump it for a half-second couple times, to say: "Hey, I'm here". I also do a quick left-right weave if I'm up the road and not too close to them.
Nobody seems to get upset unless you're laying on the horn for an extended period of time. If it is just a quick blip (the sound is kinda like when you lock the car with your key-fob), it's no prob.
SamRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #13
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverflow View Post
When do you use your horn?
When you're at the end of the driveway on the road I'm traveling along. When you've got your left turn signal on and you're approaching me. When I'm behind you and you're starting to change into my lane. When you're walking and look like you're considering walking out into the road.

Basically, I use the heck out of my horn. I might give a light tootle for the pedestrian, or lay it on for the guy in the driveway considering pulling out.

It's a tool, I like to use tools.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #14
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
I use the horn when taking evasive action…….

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
I use my horn when I feel a need to make a vain attempt to get a motorist's attention to keep from getting run over...

…. and that should not include getting hard on the brakes.

Lightly scrub off a bit of speed while changing direction to evade the problem, for sure. And if I feel the horn will help alert the driver / rider of the other vehicle I'll hit the button and stay on it throughout the manoeuvre; no fumbling required.

For instance, the other evening I was going around a roundabout controlling a five road intersection. As I came to the second road a dude on a motorcycle and sidecar didn't even look as he pulled out right in front of me. I gave him a blast as I braked and changed direction to go bend him. As I left at the fourth road i looked behind and saw that he was offended, so I flipped the bird.

The dude saw red and did a U-turn in the middle of the roundabout, thus causing havoc with several more vehicles, but I didn't bother. With the heavy traffic, catching me seems unlikely.

I had not accounted for the brash craziness of someone who had just lost face. Before long I heard a high revving racket, and there he was coming up beside me, shouting and about to have a go at running me off the road.

No braking involved in evasion this time. Just a gap, a tootle, and the throttle was all it took to get out of there.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #15
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Mostly, I forget that it's there.
I used it last year when I was behind some sport-ut at a traffic light when they ignored that fact that it had turned green.
The anemic bleep was utterly useless, and I ended up sitting there for another cycle of the light.
Other than that, it gets used in June during the annual inspection, and occasionally in my driveway to let my wife know I'm home safe.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote