Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #16
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,594
I use mine in the driveway to let someone in the house know I'm home and to open the garage.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #17
roadrider18
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
State Inspection annual visit.

When on my motorcycle, I subscribe to the idea, every other driver on the highway has the right-of-way. If somebody cuts me off, I let them quietly go, but, not without multiple flashes of high beam. Quietly letting them know of my presence.

For some reason, flashing the high beam usually gets me a wave and a mouthed "I'm sorry". The horn usually gets the finger. Go figure!
Old 04-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #18
sarhog
Ride far...

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
…. As I left at the fourth road i looked behind and saw that he was offended, so I flipped the bird.
How did you see that he was offended? Did you flip him off because he cut you off, or because he looked offended?
Old 04-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #19
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,256
Not sure about other BMWs but the OEM horn on my 92 K100RS is LOUD and I use it.

It has snapped many comatose drivers back to reality when their brains are elsewhere.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #20
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Your first duty is to your own safety to take whatever evasive action needed to protect yourself. Don't try for the horn if you really need to clutch, shift, brake, swerve RIGHT NOW.

I'd rather have a pair of FIAMM Freeway Blaster horns (also labeled NAPA) than the Stebel Nautilus air horn. The air horn isn't any louder, and some are unreliable. I have a Stebel Nautilus on my bike's left side and a Freeway Blaster low tone horn on the right. When the Nautilus craps out, I'll replace it with a Freeway Blaster high tone horn.

Never, ever flash your high beam headlights as a warning. 97.3% of the doofuses out there think that is a signal to proceed. Steady high beams might be better. I don't like to see high beams on many modern bikes with great lights, 'cuz I look away too soon and don't make the usual mental calculation of distance and closing rate.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #21
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
The cutting off was history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarhog View Post
How did you see that he was offended? Did you flip him off because he cut you off, or because he looked offended?
I looked back, checking over my shoulder as I merged into the road, as you (should) do to check blind spots quite frequently in heavy traffic….. And there he was glaring in my direction, certainly not concentrating on the job at hand, so I flipped him.

I was quite surprised to see him start to turn back in the roundabout, arrogantly oblivious to what else was going on around him. When self obsessed people like this have accidents it is always someone else's fault.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #22
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamRus View Post
I use my horn almost every time I ride.
If a car is getting ready to pull out of an alley, or make a left turn from oncoming direction, I just bump it for a half-second couple times, to say: "Hey, I'm here". I also do a quick left-right weave if I'm up the road and not too close to them.
Nobody seems to get upset unless you're laying on the horn for an extended period of time. If it is just a quick blip (the sound is kinda like when you lock the car with your key-fob), it's no prob.
Very similar but mine is a more a message of "don't your F#@$%^% dare". It's mostly when riding along in heavy multi-lane traffic and the car in the next lane is clearly making preparations to move inappropriately across into my lane. You can often sense they are going to do even before they put their indicator on as they start to weave a bit and move across the lane as they are looking in their mirrors. Or their in the stopped lane and want to gain 1 second by jumping into the slow moving lane and thing the motorcycle coming up is going to be an easy push over.

Obviously still have plan B already figured if they take no notice.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #23
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
At least once every ride in the winter, but not for the normal reason. Heavy winter mitts and close proximity of the horn button to the turn signal switch on my Suzuki occasionally leads to a toot when I'm slowing to make a left or right. Typically results in a glare in the rearview mirror from the cager ahead of me….

Me: "Sorry." (shrugs)
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #24
Jofa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
as a city rider / commuter I tend to use my horn fairly often,
however I upgraded my stock horn to PIAA sport horns which are a lot louder and not motorcycle sounding at all.
cost $50 and was money well spent - esp when some soccer mom is drifting into your lane while tacking on the cellphone
Jofa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #25
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,139
I use it to signal left turns when I ride the 2013 up BMW's...........................because they put it in the exact same place as the LH signal paddle was on the older bikes.....................
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #26
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
For the benefit of any new riders lurking in this thread, Aj is right: Evasive action (swerving) or braking to avoid another driver, but not both. I have done both at the same time, but I got by on luck, not skill.

I think unskilled attempts at combining both actions are probably where so many galoots came up with the notion "I had to lay 'er down!"

Translation: "The bike was going down anyway, so, I didn't have any more say-so in the matter."

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:58 PM   #27
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
hmm? well as i posted in the loud pipes thread i just put a Stebel on my bike but the horn cone / shell broke off so now it sounds like a conventional car horn but not a truck horn. still loud enough though as today i used it when a lone vehicle entered my lane space and could have swiped me

now, if the horn had not been there i would have done the same thing i did. which was speed right by the offending auto. but the horn caused the auto to swerve back into its own lane and stay there until i passed

looking in my mirror i saw when they moved over again they signaled and moved slowly. and when they got behind me at the light they kept a distance

so, i used my horn today. did it "save my ass." nope, i would never think a horn could do that. but did it give me more safe space to ride through and startle a driver enough to perhaps not change lanes without signaling or shoulder checking first next time? i like to think, perhaps
Old 04-08-2014, 11:00 PM   #28
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
I did have an opportunity to employ the horn for its intended purpose today. The woman who pulled out in front of me surprised me by actually reacting to it: even though she left it up to me to avoid a collision, she did favor me with a look of disdain, so at least I know I can save money on a louder horn. It really makes no difference if they hear it but don't feel any obligation to react to it.

Come to think of it, the finger I gave her got even less reaction. i guess that phone call really was that important.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:27 AM   #29
riverflow OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
hmm? well as i posted in the loud pipes thread i just put a Stebel on my bike but the horn cone / shell broke off so now it sounds like a conventional car horn but not a truck horn. still loud enough though as today i used it when a lone vehicle entered my lane space and could have swiped me

now, if the horn had not been there i would have done the same thing i did. which was speed right by the offending auto. but the horn caused the auto to swerve back into its own lane and stay there until i passed

looking in my mirror i saw when they moved over again they signaled and moved slowly. and when they got behind me at the light they kept a distance

so, i used my horn today. did it "save my ass." nope, i would never think a horn could do that. but did it give me more safe space to ride through and startle a driver enough to perhaps not change lanes without signaling or shoulder checking first next time? i like to think, perhaps

So the horn is a tool for reminding drivers the severity of driving 4000lbs of steel down the highway next to a guy wearing a helmet. What they take from it depends on how much they care and possibly how loud it is.

I might look at swapping my high beam trigger and the horn button. It would definitely get more use that way.

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:42 AM   #30
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
I use it to signal left turns when I ride the 2013 up BMW's...........................because they put it in the exact same place as the LH signal paddle was on the older bikes.....................
So that's why my horn keeps going off....dealer could not find a problem with it when I brought the bike in and said it had a short or something...dam BMWs
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote