ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 02:56 AM   #31
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverflow View Post
I might look at swapping my high beam trigger and the horn button. It would definitely get more use that way.
That's almost no joke. At least for me with the blasted Harley. Every bike I've had, the horn is the lower button on the left. On the Harley, it's the upper button. Can't tell you how many times I've blinked my left turn signal at someone pulling out in front of me when I meant to toot the horn.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:57 AM   #32
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tvpierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 339
In 30 years of driving a car, and 28 years of riding a bike, I've never used the horn for anything other than to beep at a waving pedestrian.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have a friend who once frantically asked me if I could fix the horn on her car because she didn't feel safe driving without it.
__________________
The laws of the road are superseded by the laws of physics.

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #33
markk53
jack of all trades...
 
markk53's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Delaware Ohio
Oddometer: 7,880
Only time I use my horn is when I get a bit dyslexic and push the horn button instead of the electric start button!
__________________
Ever get lost? You know, that good kind of lost - come to a dirt road intersection and you have no idea where you are or which way to turn? I like when that happens!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #34
D R
----
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
I use my horn when I feel a need to make a vain attempt to get a motorist's attention to keep from getting run over...

In my experience, if you have time to use the horn, you have time to take evasive action. Conversely, if I am getting on the brakes, I don't need to be fumbling for the horn button.
You say that as if the two actions (horn, evasive action) have to be executed separately. My evasive action (acceleration, braking, maneuvering) is always accompanied by the horn. If you practice integrating the horn with other actions, to develop the muscle memory, there is no fumbling for the horn. It all becomes one, smooth integrated action.
__________________
Experience IS NOT the best teacher! Someone else's experience is the best teacher.
D R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:40 PM   #35
windmill
Beastly Adventurer
 
windmill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kent, Washington State
Oddometer: 4,084
I use it occasionally,
Most of my riding is commuting and general transportation, at times and in places drivers tend to be the most distracted.
I cover the horn button like I do the clutch and brake lever, when conditions or that little voice tell me to.

like with anything else involved in riding, some practice and awareness makes it second nature.
__________________
"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #36
markk53
jack of all trades...
 
markk53's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Delaware Ohio
Oddometer: 7,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by D R View Post
You say that as if the two actions (horn, evasive action) have to be executed separately. My evasive action (acceleration, braking, maneuvering) is always accompanied by the horn. If you practice integrating the horn with other actions, to develop the muscle memory, there is no fumbling for the horn. It all becomes one, smooth integrated action.

If it is part of evasive action it is a wasteful part. Makes me think of Keith Code's comments about having $10 to spend (analogy to attention and effort). I wonder what his comment about spending one cent on a horn would be.

If the horn is needed in evasive action it is too late anyway.

As far as I'm concerned I'll use my energy on survival. No horn will break anyone of any bad habits in driving.

But that's just my thoughts and how they apply to my riding.
__________________
Ever get lost? You know, that good kind of lost - come to a dirt road intersection and you have no idea where you are or which way to turn? I like when that happens!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #37
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,619
Motorcycles have horns? Who Knew?
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #38
D R
----
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
If it is part of evasive action it is a wasteful part. Makes me think of Keith Code's comments about having $10 to spend (analogy to attention and effort). I wonder what his comment about spending one cent on a horn would be.

If the horn is needed in evasive action it is too late anyway.

As far as I'm concerned I'll use my energy on survival. No horn will break anyone of any bad habits in driving.

But that's just my thoughts and how they apply to my riding.
That's the same as saying -- If you need to take evasive action it is too late anyway.

I can't count the number of times my having included the horn has helped to have intruding vehicles pull back away from me sooner as I evaded than if I had not used it.

You seem to feel the horn is useless. I have learned to integrate it with other evasive action. Let's just agree to disagree.
__________________
Experience IS NOT the best teacher! Someone else's experience is the best teacher.
D R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:27 AM   #39
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer
 
Navy Chief's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Waynesboro, PA
Oddometer: 1,544
My horn is used once a year intentionally, at the annual inspection. And occasionally when I fat finger the run signal cancel.....
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:52 AM   #40
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 7,204
I agree with the thought that braking and evasive action is better use of time in an emergency situation. I use it so rarely, that I find I have to look down to confirm where it is before using it, which would be worthless if someone was merging on me.

I use my horn for positive things, such as a quick double beep to acknowledge someone using a turn out to let me by, or to say high to waving kids.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #41
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Motorcycles have horns? Who Knew?
If I have to avoid someone, there are more important things to do than look for the damn horn button. And that applies to when I'm in the truck as well.

I have one real use for a LOUD air horn, and that's for holding reveille on the shit-for-brains pinhead ahead of me who's heads-down using half of the green light to finish his damn tweet before he moves on.
__________________
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
"The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money" _____ Margaret Thatcher
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #42
markk53
jack of all trades...
 
markk53's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Delaware Ohio
Oddometer: 7,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by D R View Post
That's the same as saying -- If you need to take evasive action it is too late anyway.

I can't count the number of times my having included the horn has helped to have intruding vehicles pull back away from me sooner as I evaded than if I had not used it.

You seem to feel the horn is useless. I have learned to integrate it with other evasive action. Let's just agree to disagree.

No, it's saying you didn't get in that close a situation if you had attention to waste on blowing a horn. Anything other than braking and turning as needed is a distraction and taking attention that is better used to maintain control and avoid a crash - if it is really that close. If I have time to hit the horn I certainly have time to not have a serous situation. You see, when I work on habits for quick stopping and steering the horn button is far from my mind. It would be like blowing a kazoo while trying to threshold brake... a total waste of attention. I'm braking and anticipating ways out of the situation - not blowing a horn.

I can agree to disagree, as can anyone who realizes that there are limits to what can be done at one time and any extra action takes just a bit more attention from other action. That is what is taught to racers and performance riders by Keith Code. Don't waste attention to anything that does not directly affects your situation.

A honking horn does nothing except freeze a driver who might just have time to get out of your path if necessary. As was noted by another rider in another post.
__________________
Ever get lost? You know, that good kind of lost - come to a dirt road intersection and you have no idea where you are or which way to turn? I like when that happens!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #43
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer
 
DudeClone's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: here, there, everywhere
Oddometer: 1,581
saying you can't use a horn and take evasive action at the same time is like saying you can't walk and tap your head at the same time

"look for the horn?" its right there!!

your thumb presses the button, the rest of your hand is still free to work the clutch. the rest is just....riding. it is important to not use it in some instances, too. as has been mentioned. you do not want to startle a driver into an unpredictable move
__________________
bikes
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #44
D R
----
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
No, it's saying you didn't get in that close a situation if you had attention to waste on blowing a horn. Anything other than braking and turning as needed is a distraction and taking attention that is better used to maintain control and avoid a crash - if it is really that close. If I have time to hit the horn I certainly have time to not have a serous situation. You see, when I work on habits for quick stopping and steering the horn button is far from my mind. It would be like blowing a kazoo while trying to threshold brake... a total waste of attention. I'm braking and anticipating ways out of the situation - not blowing a horn.
It appears you did not read my previous post earlier in the thread. When you clap your hands, do you do one hand first followed by the other hand, or do you use both at the same time without thinking about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
A honking horn does nothing except freeze a driver who might just have time to get out of your path if necessary.


That has not been my experience on repeated occassions.

It appears I'm in the minority on this issue and I'm fine with it. I've managed to integrate the use of the horn simultaniously with other actions and I don't have to give it extra thought, nor fumble with the controls. I will continue to use all safety tools available to me on my motorcycle as needed.
__________________
Experience IS NOT the best teacher! Someone else's experience is the best teacher.
D R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:56 PM   #45
rat110
Has a Zombie House
 
rat110's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 517
I ordered a stebel 139dB horn for my VFR. 2 nights ago.

I use my horn even if evasive action has been taken. I had a guy put half his car into my lane through a corner. I saw it coming, tucked in a tighter line and hit the horn.

If someone changes into my lane I will take action and hit the horn. Lift thumb, hit button. It's easy and will soon be louder...
__________________
If ever there was a place where mother nature said to man fuck you go away, it'd be Australia. -PachmanP.
rat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014