Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #61
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
I haven't had a horn on one of my road bikes in over 30 years and can't think of a time when I would have used one. In fact it's one of the first things I remove after I purchase a new bike.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:15 AM   #62
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
Want! Funny as hell (to watch, anyway).
Old 04-12-2014, 07:19 AM   #63
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Legally required in most countries…...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
I haven't had a horn on one of my road bikes in over 30 years and can't think of a time when I would have used one. In fact it's one of the first things I remove after I purchase a new bike.
…... and used appropriately (legally, as a warning device) the horn can be quite effective, as described here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I seldom need it either, but "seldom" isn't never. As a full time rider I may use it 4 or 5 times a year and it has never caused an intentionally negative reaction.

Last month A woman in the right lane decided to get in the left lane just as I was passing her, a simple toot of the horn put her back in her lane, no evasive maneuver was even necessary. Just a twitch of the thumb, it works, its easy, its already there.

Turn signals, brake light, horn, they're standard on all bikes, why not learn to use them to communicate with other road users?
However on occasion, as I described in an earlier post, use of the horn can cause offence.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:58 AM   #64
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverflow View Post
So the horn is a tool for reminding drivers the severity of driving 4000lbs of steel down the highway next to a guy wearing a helmet. What they take from it depends on how much they care and possibly how loud it is.

I might look at swapping my high beam trigger and the horn button. It would definitely get more use that way.
Get a "Screaming Banshee" horn! It's basically a Stebel that kicks in after a set (by you) delay and also flashes the high beam. Around $100 and on each of my big bikes. Gives unobservant drivers whiplash...boo hoo.

Keeps the stock horn so you can still give a friendly "toot"
Old 04-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #65
blt4bja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
I use it to signal left turns when I ride the 2013 up BMW's...........................because they put it in the exact same place as the LH signal paddle was on the older bikes.....................
+1 too funny
Old 04-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #66
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamRus View Post
I use my horn almost every time I ride.
If a car is getting ready to pull out of an alley, or make a left turn from oncoming direction, I just bump it for a half-second couple times, to say: "Hey, I'm here". I also do a quick left-right weave if I'm up the road and not too close to them.
Nobody seems to get upset unless you're laying on the horn for an extended period of time. If it is just a quick blip (the sound is kinda like when you lock the car with your key-fob), it's no prob.
+1... many times after I get the attention of the potential assassin, I'll waive like I know them..
Old 04-27-2014, 08:34 AM   #67
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverflow View Post
When do you use your horn?
I've used mine twice. It is a loud horn like a Steeble, Nautilus maybe?... Both time I used it got the job done. Both times a vehicle in the lane beside me started to move over into my lane/me. Quick blast of the horn and they were both back in their lane. I do not rely on it alone in those situations, but it typically works to at least wake up the wandering driver.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #68
YosemiteCruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 157
Stateside it's not used so much, but overseas it is used as warning signal that you are approaching to whatever my be in your path, goat, chicken, dog, pedestrian, etc., etc.....
YosemiteCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #69
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
Beep, beep

I'm always giving a friend toot. Just in case they aren't paying attention. I have a cowbell that sounds off riding down the road. I'm not going to be a casualty from a discerning motorist. LOOK AT ME, or hear me, just don't pull out in front of me. I'm the guy in the middle of the road with my headlight in your face. Don't tell me you didn't see or hear me coming. I always play in the middle of the road. Ding-a-ling! Beep, beep.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #70
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
In fact it's one of the first things I remove after I purchase a new bike.
So what do you gain by removing the horn?
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #71
blackvans1234
Talking to myself...

Oddometer: 523
I used my horn one time because I saw a car starting to back out of their driveway and was thinking they didn't see me. I've only been riding since march though
Just a quick meep meep.

This is semi-unrelated but it may be fall into the category of defensive driving.
I don't do any ''good deeds'' while on the bike - Ex: slowing to let someone turn, stopping early to let someone pull out. The consequences of being rear ended (even at 10 mph) are too great for me.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #72
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:
I use mine once a year at state safety inspection

or maybe to toot toot at a friend occasionally, any other use of a horn is a waste of precious time that should be spend swerving or braking
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #73
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
I use mine once a year at state safety inspection

or maybe to toot toot at a friend occasionally, any other use of a horn is a waste of precious time that should be spend swerving or braking
Yes, the pit-falls of living in a nanny state. Never fear though, I'm sure we'll be following suit here in CA before you know it.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:33 PM   #74
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
As a warning or an attention getter horn works just fine. One situation that is very common is passing a bus stopped at a bus stop, and then having to turn right, in front of the bus. I always do two quick honks as I pass the bus. Driver always turns my way, and if he is about to pull out, lets me pass and turn.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:29 AM   #75
Soldier311
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
Homey, do you have a horn I can buy off you cheaply?
Seriously - PM me if you do. I need one of the little round ones with a mounting nut/post in the center.