Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2014, 05:38 AM   #1
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
Does your bike "register" on the left turn pads in the road?

There are many roads in Phoenix that have asphalt pads that are supposed to sense when a vehicle is in the left turn lane for example......or on side streets are supposed to sense when a vehicle is waiting to turn onto the busier street. If there's no vehicle waiting, the traffic light doesn't change, or doesn't show the left turn arrow.......just skips the process altogether. Unfortunately, my bike seldom registers on the pad. So, I usually just run the light, or make my left when the traffic is clear. Anyone else experience this and how do you handle it? I wonder what a LEO would do in this case if he saw me. But then again, even the MC cops must experience the same problem.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:54 AM   #2
wecsoger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Google is your friend. Do a search and you'll find much internet angst and some good information on traffic control devices and road sensors.

Here for Ohio, we even have a work around in the ORC, you can treat a non-registering redlight as defective (well, it must be, it didn't pick up the bike did it?) and what you need to do.

Ahem. Of course, I've never tested that with the mighty OSHP (highway patrol, or royal order of the flying donut) around.

So saying, do a Google search. Every state will have (should have) a point of contact or email address at their department of transportation, or someone you can contact at the city, county or state level.

I had same issue with a new bypass in my county. Even doing the normal tricks to get the KLR650 to show up, there was one exit that refused to have anything to do with me. I'd either blow the red light, or pull way up to the stop bar, giving room for the vehicle behind me to trip it. Sometimes they wouldn't get too close and I'd turn, point down to the sensor cutout and they would get the idea.

I contacted ODOT, took 'em almost a year but eventually they did replace the wire loop. That intersection is now 100%

Do a search on workarounds for sensors, then after due diligence, start making phones or sending emails.
wecsoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:55 AM   #3
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Hardly ever do any of my bikes ever register. I've tried the various tricks, from dropping the kickstand to using magnets and the various parking spots. None seemed to make any appreciable difference.

As for the cops, there is usually a minimum sit time before you can run. Frequently it's absurdly high. I've only ever had one cop give me a hard time for it.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:06 AM   #4
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecsoger View Post
... royal order of the flying donut ....
Oooo, I like that one! I actually like their logo, so this is good fun.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:16 AM   #5
wecsoger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
You gotta know the rules to break the rules.

Ohio had in their revised code ORC 4511.132 which treats how you handle defective traffic control devices. Know it, love it, memorize it, print out a copy for your tank bag.

Other states, counties, cities, and townships will have similar.

Don't waste your time/dollars on the magnets.

Google "red light motorcycle road sensors" and you'll get a wealth of data on how the sensors work, how they're set up and tips/tricks on how to get them to "see" you.

You think you don't show up? Think of the target size of a bicycle. Most traffic engineers want their systems to work for their customers, so if you approach them the right way, they'll want to fix it.

That is, if you've done everything to test it first.
wecsoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #6
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,557
In Illinois after waiting one cycle of the light you can go. Or a little time on ones that don't cycle at all. I thing this is true in most states.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #7
outlaws justice
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
If you have a light that you stop at on a regular basis put in a call to the highway department responsible for that road, those can be adjusted for sensitivity and they will adjust them so bikes can trip them.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:32 AM   #8
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 591
If it is a local authority and you request that they adjust the sensitivity of a specific sensor, suggest that if it works with your schedule you would be glad to come out when they do the work to test it with your bike for them so they don't have to come out twice. Just a thought.

We have the same problem here with not only motorcycles, but Amish buggies. There was just an article in the paper about it and possible solutions to the problem.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #9
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,277
Your state might have a law specifically for this situation.

In Arkansas, 27-52-206 of the motor vehicle code provides a legal way for a motorcyclist to proceed through a red light if the sensor pad does not register the weight of the bike.

I've been pulled over once for proceeding through a red light when the sensor didn't register my bike. I very calmly and respectfully answered every question the cop asked about it and explained why I did what I did. I even cited 27-52-206 as the reason. He let me go after a pretty calm encounter.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:49 AM   #10
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
In Illinois after waiting one cycle of the light you can go. Or a little time on ones that don't cycle at all. I thing this is true in most states.
Last i heard it was once cycle of the light or 2 min...whichever is the shorter...
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:53 AM   #11
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,661
I get the impression that some respondents think the pads are weight-sensitive. In IL (and other Midwestern states) they are not. The cuts in the pavement contains a wire that senses metal (frame, swing arm, etc.). I've found that for the 'pads' that are rectangular in shape, if I align the bike so that I'm completely above one of the sides of the rectangle, it will sense I'm there. For the circular 'pads', I try to cover as much of the circle, with the bike, as I can. It usually works. My scooter (obviously) trips the turn signal light much better than my XR250 does (due to distance above the road surface).

If there's a line of traffic behind you, pulling up and motioning for the cage behind you to pull up tight, will usually get the turn signal to trigger.

As previously noted, in IL, I can legally proceed after one light cycle. I would have to think there are similar laws/codes in all 50 states.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #12
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
In Oklahoma:

§47-11-202.
.....3. Steady red indication:
a. vehicular traffic facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection and shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown except as provided in subparagraphs b and d of this paragraph,
b. except when a sign is in place prohibiting a turn, vehicular traffic facing any steady red signal may cautiously enter the intersection to turn right or to turn left from a one-way street into a one-way street after stopping as required by subparagraph a of this paragraph. Such vehicular traffic shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection,
c. in order to prohibit right turns or left turns as prescribed in subparagraph b of this paragraph, on the red signal after the required stop, a municipality must erect clear, concise signs informing drivers that such turns are prohibited. The Highway Department shall specify the design of the sign to be used for this purpose, and it shall be used uniformly throughout the state,
d. notwithstanding any other provision of law, the driver of a motorcycle facing any steady red signal may cautiously proceed through the intersection only if:
(1) the motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop as required by subparagraph a of this paragraph,
(2) the traffic control signal is programmed or engineered to change to a green signal only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle and has failed to detect the arrival of the motorcycle because of its size or weight, and
(3) no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the roadway to be crossed or entered, or the motor vehicle or person is at a distance from the intersection that does not constitute an immediate hazard.

It is at your own risk. However, cops don't really sit around at intersections waiting for red lights. They have meth labs and stuff to bust. It also appears to provide no provision for just how long you should wait.
freetors is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:16 AM   #13
packerbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
wisconsin law says to wait for 45 seconds:
When facing a red light, you may
proceed CAUTIOUSLY through
the intersection when the light
is still red if ALL of the following
conditions are present:
You reasonably believe the signal
is vehicle activated (if the signal
is timed, you may not proceed
through a red light no matter how
long it takes to change to green);
No other vehicles are present
to activate the signal;
You have stopped at the signal
for at least 45 seconds; and,
You yield right-of-way to
vehicles proceeding through
on a green signal and to
pedestrians and bicycles in
the crosswalk or intersection.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #14
outlaws justice
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
I get the impression that some respondents think the pads are weight-sensitive. In IL (and other Midwestern states) they are not. The cuts in the pavement contains a wire that senses metal (frame, swing arm, etc.). I've found that for the 'pads' that are rectangular in shape, if I align the bike so that I'm completely above one of the sides of the rectangle, it will sense I'm there. For the circular 'pads', I try to cover as much of the circle, with the bike, as I can. It usually works. My scooter (obviously) trips the turn signal light much better than my XR250 does (due to distance above the road surface).

If there's a line of traffic behind you, pulling up and motioning for the cage behind you to pull up tight, will usually get the turn signal to trigger.

As previously noted, in IL, I can legally proceed after one light cycle. I would have to think there are similar laws/codes in all 50 states.
Correct, they are electrical and the sensitivity can be adjusted, here in New York we cannot legally turn, so you are forced to wait, or make a right on red then hang a U-turn etc.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #15
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
There are many roads in Phoenix that have asphalt pads that are supposed to sense when a vehicle is in the left turn lane for example......or on side streets are supposed to sense when a vehicle is waiting to turn onto the busier street. If there's no vehicle waiting, the traffic light doesn't change, or doesn't show the left turn arrow.......just skips the process altogether. Unfortunately, my bike seldom registers on the pad. So, I usually just run the light, or make my left when the traffic is clear. Anyone else experience this and how do you handle it? I wonder what a LEO would do in this case if he saw me. But then again, even the MC cops must experience the same problem.
What is it that you think that sensor detects?

They're induction loops, not pressure sensors. The closer you can get more metal to the cut (where the wire is buried) the better it can detect you.

On the circles, which are most common here, I try to get both wheels just outside the cut, and the crankcase directly over it.

Although any new ones here will be video camera sensors, not buried wire.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote