Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #16
joeldemeritt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
What is it that you think that sensor detects?

They're induction loops, not pressure sensors. The closer you can get more metal to the cut (where the wire is buried) the better it can detect you.

On the circles, which are most common here, I try to get both wheels just outside the cut, and the crankcase directly over it.
+1

It's a magnetic system. You can usually draw a turn signal by placing the engine block as close as possible to where theres a concentration of cable (where the slashes make an X) positioning helps, a bit but not always. Theoretically revving your engine a tad to make a stronger magnetic field from the stator may help too, doubt it would be noticeable.
joeldemeritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #17
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,754
My concours triggers the lights, my Bandit almost never does.
Connie's got a bit more mass than the Bandit!
I'm using the term m "mass" a bit tongue in cheek here, but the concours does have more ferrous metal than the bandit!

KX50002 screwed with this post 04-09-2014 at 06:26 PM
KX50002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #18
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldemeritt View Post
+1

It's a magnetic system. You can usually draw a turn signal by placing the engine block as close as possible to where theres a concentration of cable (where the slashes make an X) positioning helps, a bit but not always. Theoretically revving your engine a tad to make a stronger magnetic field from the stator may help too, doubt it would be noticeable.
it uses a magnetic field to detect ferrous(iron/steel) material, they do not detect magnetism, so making a stronger magnetic field does nothing, as someone already posted don't waste money on magnets
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #19
mississippimadman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I know the ones in denver by my place doesn't pick me up. Sometimes it doesn't pick up my truck (2500 dodge 4x4)
mississippimadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #20
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Here in the Central Coast Ca most of the times NO, and seldom it registers.

I talked to one Policeman and he said that if is safe you may initiate a turn on red but he said: As a police officer he can not tell you to break any laws.

So according to my understanding, if a policeman wants to nail you with a ticket he can, so make sure there is no police around when you decide to make the turn.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #21
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung3 View Post
Here in the Central Coast Ca most of the times NO, and seldom it registers.

I talked to one Policeman and he said that if is safe you may initiate a turn on red but he said: As a police officer he can not tell you to break any laws.

So according to my understanding, if a policeman wants to nail you with a ticket he can, so make sure there is no police around when you decide to make the turn.
it pays to know the laws in the states you travel, some states it's legal to run a defective light
99 SV650
82 XV920R
Old 04-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #22
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 700
Shutting off the bike then restarting with electric starter could help disturb the sensor's magnetic field so it senses you.

I've been known to put the sidestand down, get off the bike, mosey to the pedestrian pushbutton and push the damn button and mosey back. (from the XT). (doesn't help with left turns though)

Previous- XT350, CB900F, XL185S, GS425E
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #23
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripsteruser View Post
Shutting off the bike then restarting with electric starter could help disturb the sensor's magnetic field so it senses you.

I've been known to put the sidestand down, get off the bike, mosey to the pedestrian pushbutton and push the damn button and mosey back. (from the XT). (doesn't help with left turns though)

putting the kickstand down gets the ferrous material closer to the inductive loop

the starter motor does nothing, inductive loops detect ferrous material, not magnetism
99 SV650
82 XV920R
Old 04-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #24
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
the starter motor does nothing, inductive loops detect ferrous material, not magnetism
Au contraire - the loop is a simple metal detector. It looks for disturbances in its field. Ferrous metal happens to cause more disturbance to fields than non-ferrous metal (this is why transformer cores are made of iron rather than aluminum).

But a transient magnetic field (EMF) such as is generated by the pulse of the starter will also affect the sensor field.

Might not always work but it's one more thing to try.

Previous- XT350, CB900F, XL185S, GS425E
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #25
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripsteruser View Post
Au contraire - the loop is a simple metal detector. It looks for disturbances in its field. Ferrous metal happens to cause more disturbance to fields than non-ferrous metal (this is why transformer cores are made of iron rather than aluminum).

But a transient magnetic field (EMF) such as is generated by the pulse of the starter will also affect the sensor field.

Might not always work but it's one more thing to try.
exactly, it works like a metal detector, not a magnet detector
99 SV650
82 XV920R
Old 04-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #26
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
I've had fairly good luck with the traffic lights here in Phoenix. They tend to detect bikes fine, they just take FOREVER to change, but that's just how they're set up here. I hope I don't jynx myself...
Old 04-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #27
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
putting the kickstand down gets the ferrous material closer to the inductive loop

Keep repeating it, eventually it'll sink in...
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #28
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimadman View Post
I know the ones in denver by my place doesn't pick me up. Sometimes it doesn't pick up my truck (2500 dodge 4x4)
That one might need to be adjusted.

Oregon law says once ODOT is notified and they pass the notification on, the agency that owns a loop detector has 72 hours to check it out. I've seen pissy emails from ODOT about this.

A friend lives in Los Angeles (K-Town); notified CalTrans about a detector that might need adjusting. The reply he got: "Yep, we know about that one."
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #29
mtnbikeboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I once saw a list (in my BRC maybe) that had a breakdown of which states allowed a m/c to run a red that wasn't tripping. TX has no allowance for such. My TA has never tripped an induction loop to my knowledge. I have pulled the right turn-u-turn maneuver before. All the new traffic lights going in here are camera activated, not induction loops. I have a near 100% success rate with those picking up the bike.

Though the sun can mess with those. One intersection near me would not pick up the motorcoach (or any cars) I was driving when the sun was at the wrong angle shortly after sunrise. I then saw them checking it out at 1430.
mtnbikeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #30
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I'm in a semi rural area now and my bike doesn't trip a lot of the lights around here. I normally wait a couple cycles and go through the intersection cautiously. For some that I ride by regularly I just treat them like a stop sign and proceed when the intersection is clear. I have had some inattentive drivers who are far behind me run the light thinking that I'm going through the intersection on a green. In the MN road rules for motorcycles in states that it is legal to do so "provided a reasonable amount of time" has gone by.

One time I had an LEO see me having trouble getting through a busier intersection and he actually pulled into the intersection, blocked it and waved me through so I could get across. Pretty cool.
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote