Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #31
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,109
I put the kickstand on top of the loop. works every time. even better if it is steel.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:20 PM   #32
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
I know one,that has not worked,
On three of my bikes,over ten years.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #33
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,788
Calif vehicle code...

for us Californians: Calif. Veh Code Section 21800 (d)(1) provides, "The driver of any vehicle approaching an intersection which has official traffic control signals that are inoperative shall stop at the intersection, and may proceed with caution, when it is safe to do so". If your bike doesn't trigger the device, the device is considered to be inoperative."

I carry this in my wallet. I have many signals that don't trip that I hit on a regular basis. I've never had a problem or been stopped. I suppose I've been very lucky.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #34
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
for us Californians: Calif. Veh Code Section 21800 (d)(1) provides, "The driver of any vehicle approaching an intersection which has official traffic control signals that are inoperative shall stop at the intersection, and may proceed with caution, when it is safe to do so". If your bike doesn't trigger the device, the device is considered to be inoperative."
That bold part is analysis. The officer pulling you over may disagree with that analysis.

(d) (1) The driver of any vehicle approaching an intersection which has official traffic control signals that are inoperative shall stop at the intersection, and may proceed with caution when it is safe to do so.
Rgconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #35
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 235
My PCX is little enough that it never gets detected.

Options:
1. Put the kickstand down and walk over to hit the crosswalk button. I use this one in the city at night very often, too much risk of getting caught running a light.
2. Right turn, then U-turn. I do this the most often in the suburbs, sometimes taking a u-turn in the city is a bitch.
3. Just run it. If there are no cars around to trigger the intersection anyways, there likely isn't enough crosstraffic to even notice.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:16 AM   #36
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecsoger View Post
Google is your friend. Do a search and you'll find much internet angst and some good information on traffic control devices and road sensors.

Here for Ohio, we even have a work around in the ORC, you can treat a non-registering redlight as defective (well, it must be, it didn't pick up the bike did it?) and what you need to do.

Ahem. Of course, I've never tested that with the mighty OSHP (highway patrol, or royal order of the flying donut) around.

So saying, do a Google search. Every state will have (should have) a point of contact or email address at their department of transportation, or someone you can contact at the city, county or state level.

I had same issue with a new bypass in my county. Even doing the normal tricks to get the KLR650 to show up, there was one exit that refused to have anything to do with me. I'd either blow the red light, or pull way up to the stop bar, giving room for the vehicle behind me to trip it. Sometimes they wouldn't get too close and I'd turn, point down to the sensor cutout and they would get the idea.

I contacted ODOT, took 'em almost a year but eventually they did replace the wire loop. That intersection is now 100%

Do a search on workarounds for sensors, then after due diligence, start making phones or sending emails.
My father was an ODOT traffic control engineer. He pointed out exactly that. If you sit through a cycle of the lights and can't proceed due to the light not sensing your vehicle, you can treat the red light as a stop and procede with caution. Key point here is to understand the situation and not assume if it doesn't change in 30 seconds you can go. Some lights may take up to 2 minutes to cycle. A big plus is if you have knowledge and experience with a light you can fight a ticket knowing that the light does not pick up a motorcycle, which means it is lawful for you to proceed with caution.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #37
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgconner View Post
That bold part is analysis. The officer pulling you over may disagree with that analysis.

(d) (1) The driver of any vehicle approaching an intersection which has official traffic control signals that are inoperative shall stop at the intersection, and may proceed with caution when it is safe to do so.

The key in the law is what is inoperative. In Ohio that means it must sense the motor vehicle - including motorcycles for sure. Most cops in a city will know which ones "don't work". They also may be in position to observe you sitting at the light too long, and thus will know you have the right to proceed. They aren't idiots.

Mark - klx678
Old 04-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #38
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
I put the kickstand on top of the loop. works every time. even better if it is steel.
What about those camera or eye type sensors up on the signal support?

Mark - klx678
Old 04-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #39
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
The key in the law is what is inoperative. In Ohio that means it must sense the motor vehicle - including motorcycles for sure. Most cops in a city will know which ones "don't work". They also may be in position to observe you sitting at the light too long, and thus will know you have the right to proceed. They aren't idiots.
yes they are.

Got pulled over for holding up traffic once. Road was very curvy, wet and slippery.

CHP recommended I pull off into the short gravel driveways to let cars pass.

Sure officer, pure genius.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #40
JGNC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
I've only been stopped once for running a "no right on red" at 11:30pm. I explained that light won't change for my bike and the officer said he wasn't sure about the laws concerning that and let me go. It probably helped that I went to high school with him though.

There's one light I run almost every morning on the way to work. It's in the middle of no where and at 4:30am there's rarely another vehicle in sight (you can see for at least 3/4 mile in all directions). I just treat it like a regular stop sign. If I get pulled for it then I get pulled.

I'm going to try the kick stand and starter trick though. Maybe send some emails.

Sent via Droid Maxx
Old 04-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #41
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Washington state does not allow going through a red light that does not detect the bike.

I've pulled as far ahead as possible, then waved the car behind me up close and over the back half of the sensor. That worked.

I contacted the state highway department about one signal. They emailed back and got it adjusted the next day. Thanks, WashDOT.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #42
i_isntreal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
The sensors north of the border are definitely getting better. Still there is the occasional long wait. Most often I move up and get the car behind me to snug up a bit to trigger the light. If there's no one to do that, then it's a 'make sure it's safe (i.e. no sirens nearby)' situation and go for it.

Reminds me of a coworker from a long while back who had large tires on his 4x4. Back then the McD drive thru's used the magnetic sensors as well. But it wouldn't pick up his truck, so he would just drive up to the window and pay for whatever the person behind him ordered and drive off. I'm sure that confused and annoyed quite of few people. lol
Old 04-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #43
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgconner View Post
yes they are.

Got pulled over for holding up traffic once. Road was very curvy, wet and slippery.

CHP recommended I pull off into the short gravel driveways to let cars pass.

Sure officer, pure genius.
Said "most", not "all"

Mark - klx678
Old 04-25-2014, 06:18 AM   #44
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

No, you didn't:

"They aren't idiots."

No most there.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:15 PM   #45
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
What about those camera or eye type sensors up on the signal support?
That's a video detection system, which are becoming more popular as the camera and computer equipment to run them gets cheaper than induction loops. Those can almost always see a motorcycle or even a bicycle sitting in the lane. I've had plenty of induction loops fail to 'see' my bike, but the video detection always picks me up. Even better, when they break, no one has to tear up the pavement.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote