Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2014, 06:09 AM   #46
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 10,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws justice View Post
Correct, they are electrical and the sensitivity can be adjusted, here in New York we cannot legally turn, so you are forced to wait, or make a right on red then hang a U-turn etc.

S 1117. Traffic-control signals; malfunction. Except when directed to
proceed by a police officer, every operator of a motor vehicle
approaching an intersection governed by a traffic-control signal which
is out of service or otherwise malfunctioning shall stop in the manner
required for stop signs set forth in section eleven hundred seventy-two
of this title, and proceed according to the rules of right of way for
vehicles set forth in article twenty-six of this title.

S 1172. Stop signs and yield signs. (a) Except when directed to
proceed by a police officer, every driver of a vehicle approaching a
stop sign shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, then
shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the
intersection, or in the event there is no crosswalk, at the point
nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of the
approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering the
intersection and the right to proceed shall be subject to the provisions
of section eleven hundred forty-two.
(b) The driver of a vehicle approaching a yield sign if required for
safety to stop shall stop at a clearly marked yield line, but if none,
then shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the
intersection, or in the event there is no crosswalk, at the point
nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of the
approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering the
intersection and the right to proceed shall be subject to the provisions
of section eleven hundred forty-two of this title.

From here.... http://ypdcrime.com/vt/index.htm

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:24 AM   #47
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgconner View Post
No, you didn't:

"They aren't idiots."

No most there.

Learn to read to comprehend:

" Most cops in a city will know which ones "don't work". They also may be in position to observe you sitting at the light too long, and thus will know you have the right to proceed. They aren't idiots."

One sentence does not make up a whole thought process...

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:28 AM   #48
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
That's a video detection system, which are becoming more popular as the camera and computer equipment to run them gets cheaper than induction loops. Those can almost always see a motorcycle or even a bicycle sitting in the lane. I've had plenty of induction loops fail to 'see' my bike, but the video detection always picks me up. Even better, when they break, no one has to tear up the pavement.

I know I like them. Probably pick up a bicyclist too.

Although I do like the in-ground sensors to screw over those drivers who creep out into the intersection (some around here call it "the Columbus creep"). Kind of neat to see some soccer mom or cell phone i-dot sitting past the loop and the light won't change, especially when it is where the light is dedicated to that lane and they sit at an unchanging red light.

Mark - klx678
Old 04-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #49
wecsoger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Just for you OH folks who want to do a ptouch label on your gas tank of the magic number 4511.132 (all Ohio traffic laws are in the 4511 chapter)

4511.132 Operation at intersections with malfunctioning traffic control signal lights.

(A) The driver of a vehicle, streetcar, or trackless trolley who approaches an intersection where traffic is controlled by traffic control signals shall do all of the following, if the signal facing the driver either exhibits no colored lights or colored lighted arrows or exhibits a combination of such lights or arrows that fails to clearly indicate the assignment of right-of-way:

(1) Stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or, if none, stop before entering the intersection;

(2) Yield the right-of-way to all vehicles, streetcars, or trackless trolleys in the intersection or approaching on an intersecting road, if the vehicles, streetcars, or trackless trolleys will constitute an immediate hazard during the time the driver is moving across or within the intersection or junction of roadways;

(3) Exercise ordinary care while proceeding through the intersection.

Note that her in OH if the power is out to the stop light that also means PLEASE F'N STOP! rather than just blithely blow through the intersection.

But I digress...

So, Stop. Yield right of way. Exercise ordinary care. (whatever "ordinary" means)
wecsoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #50
vvx
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Rider View Post
Washington state does not allow going through a red light that does not detect the bike.

I've pulled as far ahead as possible, then waved the car behind me up close and over the back half of the sensor. That worked.

I contacted the state highway department about one signal. They emailed back and got it adjusted the next day. Thanks, WashDOT.
We have a new law on it, but only helps if the light doesn't detect you after "one complete cycle". Takes effect June 12. http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...sts_now_a.html

Of course, if the light won't change what exactly is a "complete cycle"? At one point the bill had a time period in there but that got removed before the final bill. As-is, seems it would work if a left-turn lane won't see you but not if the light won't cycle at all which is the more common scenario.
vvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #51
ggoytia
Mobile Fatso

Oddometer: 184
In Texas we are screwed.

**** Wait or Find Alternate route *****

18. Can I cross an intersection on a red light if my bike doesn't trigger the signal to change?

No, there are no provisions in Texas law that will allow any non-emergency vehicle to bypass a red light. You will need to turn or change lanes legally when safe then find another route. As stated in Texas Transportation Code (TRC) 544.0075 certain traffic-actuated electric traffic-control signals are required to be capable of registering the presence of a motorcycle.
ggoytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #52
hardpackrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
had this happen all the time on my xr650L, I'd just wait through a cycle to be sure it was effing me ... then when it was ....I'd just treat as a stop sign.. and proceed with caution.

no such issues with GSA... triggers them every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every man dies. Not every man really lives. William Wallace
I'm working on that Bill... it's why I'm here. hardpackrider
hardpackrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:03 PM   #53
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Learn to read to comprehend:

" Most cops in a city will know which ones "don't work". They also may be in position to observe you sitting at the light too long, and thus will know you have the right to proceed. They aren't idiots."

One sentence does not make up a whole thought process...
Learn to write and admit you did not say what you think you said.

MOST COPS refers to them knowing the broken lights, not that they aren't idiots.
You are equating knowing about broken lights to not being idiots. False comparison.

They are more often than not idiots on a number of issues, this one included.
Rgconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:54 AM   #54
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:

MOST COPS refers to them knowing the broken lights, not that they aren't idiots.
You are equating knowing about broken lights to not being idiots. False comparison.

They are more often than not idiots on a number of issues, this one included.

Okay, I get it... you are clairvoyant... and you gotta win...

Okay, you win! Here's your award -

Now tell me what I said and mean in this post.

Mark - klx678
Old 05-03-2014, 10:27 PM   #55
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Okay, I get it... you are clairvoyant... and you gotta win...

Okay, you win! Here's your award -

Now tell me what I said and mean in this post.
I am not telling you what you mean, I told you what you said.

And I don't agree. "They aren't idiots." is not a valid statement about cops. There are definitely idiot cops out there.

Unless they started issuing halos and wings when I was not looking.
Rgconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:50 AM   #56
mary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
I installed a traffic magnet on my bike called Signal Magic and has worked really well for me. Sorry to say it doesn't appear that this particular brand is available any longer but there are others out there. Just be careful when installing one. They are EXTREMELY difficult to get off once they make contact the bikes frame.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:05 AM   #57
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,204
If it is clear and the stop light isn't working for me, I'll go when I know it is safe. I don't care what the law says, I'm not going to be a sitting duck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #58
MotorCade
Rugby whore

Oddometer: 457
Inductive loops and how to deal with on a motorcycle

http://www.wikihow.com/Trigger-Green-Traffic-Lights

From wiki-how. TLDR: Park with your wheels as close to the cuts in the road as you can. That's where the inductive loop wires are inserted in the roadbed.

We have the 'circle' type here in my area (CA). I try to park with both front and back wheels on parts of the circle. Usually works pretty well.
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #59
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,465
There's an intersection near here where the left turn lane is normal width but the straight-or-right lane is very wide. The intersection doglegs a bit so going straight means turning right then left.

I have no idea where the induction loop is. It has been entirely repaved and not re-cut. The loops are not visible. This is an intersection with US 1A so there's lots of traffic most of the day.

Many times I've looked for a decent opening but the easy solution is make a right turn, pull into a wide driveway for an easy U-turn, then go back and make a right.

In the '80s I started "running" red lights that didn't sense my bicycle. Usually this was a quiet intersection that I could scoot through inconspicuously. I COULD run the red light at 1A but it would be in close quarters with "law abiding" drivers.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #60
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:

Your understanding of English paragraph structure is incorrect. The subject of the last sentence is "most cops" (referring to the subject of the first sentence), and there is no statement of comparison being made between the first and last sentences. The second sentence provides support for the claim that most cops aren't idiots.

If you diagram the paragraph you'll find that what he wrote was two seperate statements: Most cops know which signals don't work; Most cops aren't idiots.

For there to have been a statement about knowing which lights are broken being proof that the cops are not idiots, markk53 would have used words such as; therefore, or because; as in, "Most cops aren't idiots because they know which signals aren't broken." or, "Most cops know which signals are out, therefore they are not idiots."

What you did is make an inference. The validity of that infrence hinges on what the author intended. You have direct knowledge of what the author intended. Please write a three paragraph essay supporting your position that markk55 is wrong about what his intended message was (you may start a thread in the beasment if needed).