Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #76
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,437
I hate basketball, but I like the count. Elbow up, good thump into chest, everyone can see the count. By the way Gordy, did you ask Sid about the craps table and Texas Barbeque? Just a few x-tras to make the drive worthwhile.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #77
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
By the way Gordy, did you ask Sid about the craps table and Texas Barbeque? Just a few x-tras to make the drive worthwhile.
He just laughed and said that you guys had "done some craps".

Can you imagine watching a basketball game where a guy would just pick up the ball and hold it forever?? The crowd would go nuts. DO SOMETHING!!!!!

Same with trials. We have short attention spans and no one want to see someone parked (or stuck) for more than a few seconds. I say, give em a five count, then it's a five.

How about something as stupid as bowling? The guy walks over to the rack, picks up a ball and then just stands there. 10 guys are waiting to bowl, but he is "thinking". Then he rolls a gutter!

You can make just about any sports analogy to see how idiotic the all day dab is.

Don't worry about the top classes. There are only a few riders at that level anyway and we all like to watch them ride, hop, balance whatever. It's the amateurs that drag a bike through for a three that drive me crazy.
What is bad, is that if dragging a bike through a section is allowed and your completion does it.....you have to as well when you get stuck. It's maddening.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:24 PM   #78
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
I was at an informal event where a rider was holding up the show while there were people trying to finish on time. The checker employed a unique countdown technique that was very effective.

"If I finish my beer and your still there, your getting a 5 - now hurry up" He then let out a loud burp. Everyone laughed. Guy got out of the section.

Simple is good. In the name of perfection, people make this crap alot harder than it needs to be and lose there audience (ridership) in the meantime.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #79
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
He just laughed and said that you guys had "done some craps".

Can you imagine watching a basketball game where a guy would just pick up the ball and hold it forever?? The crowd would go nuts. DO SOMETHING!!!!!

Same with trials. We have short attention spans and no one want to see someone parked (or stuck) for more than a few seconds. I say, give em a five count, then it's a five.

How about something as stupid as bowling? The guy walks over to the rack, picks up a ball and then just stands there. 10 guys are waiting to bowl, but he is "thinking". Then he rolls a gutter!

You can make just about any sports analogy to see how idiotic the all day dab is.

Don't worry about the top classes. There are only a few riders at that level anyway and we all like to watch them ride, hop, balance whatever. It's the amateurs that drag a bike through for a three that drive me crazy.
What is bad, is that if dragging a bike through a section is allowed and your completion does it.....you have to as well when you get stuck. It's maddening.
Your last line says it all! I hate wasting my energy dragging a bike that is motorized to ride, but the `other` guy dragged it up a poorly set obstacle!
Old 04-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #80
eddiefaulkner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
The positive side is the event flows and so do the sections if set correctly. I myself have little fun sitting at a section waiting for 45 minutes to ride. ( I realize most riders on this forum have never had this experience.) Modern trials evolved to no-stop which originally was good. Trouble is that the riders became so good that it could take twenty minutes to ride a section. The sections became the equivalent of ribbon in a parking lot. Making the ribbon the obstacles.
For a first time rider or spectator there is little difference between stopping with the foot down or balancing. Same with our modern rules. Really the biggest problem with understanding the `new rules` is a good explanation of the rule to include a pause. A pause with the feet up is allowed ,but it is such a grey area.
What I`m getting at is the stop and hop rules have made the sport more on the boring side. Kind of like watching basketball or hockey, a lot of action but little difference in the score at the end of the day. The all day dab, (Which came from the indoor events to give it MORE competition to the show) has ruined the point spread and has given the riders the ability to ride higher classes without the ability to do so. A false confidence of competing with better riders. It really is so boring to watch all these riders with no skill struggle all day long in a class they do not belong.
Watch the good riders in any average section, without even thinking they can enter a section stop correct there approach, ride a obstacle and hit the correct spot and clean each part step by step. Now have them do it no-stop, the difference is the cannot stop and correct the mistakes they made in line choice.
The positive side of no-stop is the event flows, as it is a motorsports. The sections can be laid out more naturally to the land itself. There is no more all day dab. (Real men hop without the instant kickstand for back up support) There is an honest point spread through the classes. And maybe, just maybe the top classes might come down to earth and there severity of sections. You have to almost kill the top riders to get any points out of them anymore. That is the real reason the USA has almost no top riders. It is dangerous and no money in it.
And besides with no-stop there is no stop watch needed in every section! I come out to ride, I enjoy seeing another rider have a good ride. But I did not come out to sit on my tiny motorcycle seat![/QUOTE]
This is the best case for no stop Ive heard yet. Reasonable.
eddiefaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #81
Jonny042
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowPSI View Post

The real problem here is the lack of Pro Riders in the US. We had 5 promising young Pro Riders from Southern California. They have all quit the sport. There will be only 3 Pro riders US Nationals that ride the whole series.
Still would like to hear more about this..... any insight as to why this is true would be useful to the discussion at hand, I think.

Of course, 5 different riders might give 5 different reasons.
Jonny042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #82
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
Girls, school, girls, work, and girls!
Old 04-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #83
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Still would like to hear more about this..... any insight as to why this is true would be useful to the discussion at hand, I think.

Money and Women. Trials offers neither. It's and old story.

Riding at the Pro level requires a lot of commitment. Practice, minder, travel with very little reward.

Sponsorship is sparse.
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #84
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,184
Quote:

Riding at the Pro level requires a lot of commitment. Practice, minder, travel with very little reward.

Sponsorship is sparse.
He'll, riding at any level can require a lot of commitment.
The big dogs get paid squat. In SX, if you can just make the evening main and finish 20th you will make more than a top trials rider.
EnduroCross and extreme enduro has taken most of the good guys

I'm blaming KTM and Redbull.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #85
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Pretty simple, happens to all young men. I have always loved trials. Ask any of my wives. My example, Blew out my knee twice in a six a month period in 1976 riding trials. Girls, cars, and beer. Got a dual sport. Camping, exploring, girls and more beer. Navy, Travel, all most no beer. Street bikes, girls, desert racing and some times trials. Bought a Ty 350 in 1986 and have been active in trials ever since. Ten year gap. Mainly 17-27. Happens almost always. Ask any long time rider.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #86
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
Kitty, school, Kitty, work, and Kitty!
Fixed it.

brewtus screwed with this post 04-17-2014 at 10:25 PM Reason: Oh Kitty. Sweet Kitty. Oh, so sweet little poosey Kat!!!
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:36 PM   #87
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Where`s the dick for brains smilies?
Old 04-18-2014, 07:31 AM   #88
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,049
My boys live in Elsewhere and do other things these days. One of them in Switzerland would like to do trials, but he lives in a Geneva apartment. No garage.

As for holdups, in the events I attend, I hope to not get stuck behind Master riders. All the classes tend to flow well except theirs, unless the loop is super short and the sections long. The Masters get hammered by their sections, because they are well, Masters. And stuck at times and flailing.

At Comanche Cup the Expert and Master winning scores were triple that of Senior Expert. If an event is hard, maybe even Expert gets stuck on the harder sections Senior Expert does not ride the Expert lines on. One way to speed things up is to not make events killers. For some riders that will mean nail biter trials where one little mistake knocks a fellow back two places, but....
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #89
Jonny042
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Well that figures. I suppose it's never been any different, there's just a lot more competing for a young man's attention these days.

Quote:

Sponsorship is sparse.
Jonny042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #90
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
At the Pro level, local, national or world the up coming riders get beat up. You have to get better very fast or you will suffer. I know many riders that got to Pro and quit after a few years of getting all 5's.
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote