Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #91
2feetdown OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
My boys live in Elsewhere and do other things these days. One of them in Switzerland would like to do trials, but he lives in a Geneva apartment. No garage.

As for holdups, in the events I attend, I hope to not get stuck behind Master riders. All the classes tend to flow well except theirs, unless the loop is super short and the sections long. The Masters get hammered by their sections, because they are well, Masters. And stuck at times and flailing.

At Comanche Cup the Expert and Master winning scores were triple that of Senior Expert. If an event is hard, maybe even Expert gets stuck on the harder sections Senior Expert does not ride the Expert lines on. One way to speed things up is to not make events killers. For some riders that will mean nail biter trials where one little mistake knocks a fellow back two places, but....
I usualy agree with all most all your post but making sections too easy sucks driving 200 miles riding your best and making one stupid mistake and losing 5 places makes a great day a rotten day I try to never ride an event that i will end up with 20 pts or less so often i have to move up to the next class which i fumble around in and slow things up . How about making the masters start 1 hour early so they can get there walking and you go first over with.
Someone mentioned a five count on a stop that sounds like something a stop person like me could agree with. Getting the FIM to adopt it would probably never happen but what does the FIM have to do with trials in America .
2feetdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #92
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2feetdown View Post
Getting the FIM to adopt it would probably never happen but what does the FIM have to do with trials in America .
Shit still flows downhill. The USA has been waiting for another Bernie for thirty plus years now.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #93
2feetdown OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Shit still flows downhill.
It does some want to stand under the drain. I prefer moving over a bit.
2feetdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:16 PM   #94
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Perfect till the end!
https://www.facebook.com/TrialsUSGP/...18982581538745
Old 04-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #95
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowPSI View Post
At the Pro level, local, national or world the up coming riders get beat up. You have to get better very fast or you will suffer. I know many riders that got to Pro and quit after a few years of getting all 5's.
I moved up to Expert in Michigan (like Master in Okla-Tex-NM) too many years ago. Given the 45-section-per-trial minimum rule, the very tight lines, bigger obstacles, and summer heat, I was one unhappy fellow. I dropped back a class and did better and was certainly happier.

It takes a special and youthful person to suffer through getting beat up to get to the high levels. It also takes a wise person to know when to stop trying to go up and to settle in and accept a moderated level of challenge, and not just quit. Even if you get lower points, it's still a good challenge.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #96
johnson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
got interested in trials as a kid when fox put segments in their jump videos back in mid/late 90s

no stop is boring to watch. time limit would have been better.

first thing i learned when I got my '00 290 was stationary balance and front wheel hopping

wouldn't ride a no stop event.

would have considered watching the world round here in aus if it wasn't no stop in a paddock in the middle of nowhere.

If TM wants to grow the sport he should look to youtube. Search 'trials' and order by views, 4 of the top 5 videos are Danny MacAskill. First motorcycle trials vid is (i think) fred crosset messing around before a show.

Search 'moto trials' and most viewed: Graham Jarvis on enduro bike is 1st. 6 of top 10 most viewed are julian dupont/crosset. cristophe braund playing with some bicycle guy. cody webb "hitting extreme terrain". The one competition video in top 10 is from an indoor event.

I'm not into all the jumps and shit but if you ignore that there's a pattern. Apart from terrible music, the most watched trials videos on the 3rd most popular website in the world all have a lot of hopping or that style of riding. Another thing they seem to have is people asking what bike is it and where to get them.

Maybe TM is trying to grow the sport with riders whose bodies are too worn out to race mx anymore.
johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #97
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,179
...and there you have it. No-stop is boring to watch and sponsors have no interest in sponsoring something that no one wants to watch.
Let's see..........riders, spectators and sponsors aren't for it. It's impossible to score consistently, (maybe video replay) but we should take it out for a spin.

You can debate all that you want about the merits and heritage of the old way of doing things, but it means little if no one is around to do it.
You might as well waste your energy trying to get golfers back to to using wooden drivers.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #98
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 867
YouTube video metrics...

That is an interesting metric... I never thought about that source for what people like to see in trials.

I wonder if region settings would affect the results?
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #99
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

If we went by hits on the internet, we would think americans are a bunch of pussies. Kim K. And the Beav top the list! As for trials videos the outlaw ones get the most hits because we all would like to ride those illegal places that we just drool to try. Reality is it put`s a negative on the sport.
Again you guys knocking no-stop never saw riders in person spend twenty minutes cleaning a section. It was not that exciting. Helluva a clean, but after four minutes it was on to the next section. And it`s a good thing we do not ride with a full clip in a pistol. Because if you were stuck behind several riders like that, it would be easy to go postal! Timed out in a trials due to hopping and bopping is what created this mess. Not no-stop.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #100
johnson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
That is an interesting metric... I never thought about that source for what people like to see in trials.

I wonder if region settings would affect the results?
I have it set on worldwide.

Quote:
If we went by hits on the internet, we would think americans are a bunch of pussies. Kim K. And the Beav top the list!
They'd have no problem getting spectators to an event.

Quote:
As for trials videos the outlaw ones get the most hits because we all would like to ride those illegal places that we just drool to try. Reality is it put`s a negative on the sport.
3.5million views aren't coming just from people wanting to ride in those areas.

Quote:
Again you guys knocking no-stop never saw riders in person spend twenty minutes cleaning a section. It was not that exciting. Helluva a clean, but after four minutes it was on to the next section. And it`s a good thing we do not ride with a full clip in a pistol. Because if you were stuck behind several riders like that, it would be easy to go postal! Timed out in a trials due to hopping and bopping is what created this mess. Not no-stop.
2 minutes to get through a section or a 5 would have solved it. Wouldn't have all the problems with judging stops either.
johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:34 PM   #101
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

I think you are a little bias on them video numbers. All those are action video`s which I enjoy also. Bet you can`t find one that has a rider stopped more than 10 seconds!
Old 04-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #102
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4qzh6YBW1Q Here is your #1 video and it was rode using no stop. The only time he stopped was rolling back and that is a five in stop and hop. If you want to argue rules and the benefits of either you should learn them first!It would have been boring if it showed every time he stopped and looked at his next approach. You might try attending a world round. Tip # 1, Jarvis has.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #103
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,179
Quote:
The only time he stopped was rolling back and that is a five in stop and hop.
And that's why no-stop sucks. As a judge, you completely missed a stop.

Was there an observed trials in that vid or are we calling extreme enduro no-stop now? . I guess I'm missing the point.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #104
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

He said the #1 video was stop and hop. I saw him hesitate and that was a five,( which you can hesitate) but very close which if Graham was riding a scored event he would just jump off. The thing is all the videos he called the top ten exciting were all done NO STOP. Pretty boring NOT!
Old 04-21-2014, 10:34 PM   #105
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,267
i cant believe that we are still j,j,j,j,j, qwrl';xl?CV>bh ;xjk]0hrsyntlkj o\-wutrstyu-9
hpj:NW#$HR
\[SFJIO
SNGFC

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote