Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #16
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,805
FZ1 here. So probably about 40%, and most of that is in throttle usage. I like to open it up from a stop, but I do not really corner hard or brake hard. Speaking of opening it up, I have yet to wheelie, and most say this bike wheelies at will. So, maybe I am using about 25% of total capability
Old 04-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #17
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Just enough to have a great time!
Old 04-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #18
doorman
Aimless

Oddometer: 224
58%

No...

23%

Wait....

85%

Depends on the day, location, my attitude, barometric pressure, prevailing winds, etc, etc.

Motoflyfishing
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894025
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #19
BossMaverick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
In terms of HP, top speed, handling, braking, tire traction, etc, I would venture to guess 25% at most. I will do some full throttle accelerations from time to time but that accounts for a very small percentage of the miles on the bike. If it matters, I have a torquey Bandit 1250, so the majority of the miles is riding along on in top gear.

Folks that claim they are riding at 85% or more on the street aren't really riding at the peak level the bike is capable of, or unless they are insane (for public road dangers), or are riding a very small displacement bike.

Edited to Add: I've had track days in cars. Its amazing what cars can do when you don't have the worries about other idiots on the road, so I'm guessing bikes are the same.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #20
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,012
Backing a Harley out of the driveway = 100%
Colorado_Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #21
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Just enough to have a great time!
Going to agree with you on this point. I know when I'm giving her all I got because my arms feel like they're being pulled off, my hands are probably going "white knuckles" on me and my butt is puckered up a bit. I also know I'm not using no where near the potential of what my bike can serve up. The strange thing is that I want to upgrade to a more powerful bike in the future.

~~~My name is Marc and I drive (fly) a Blackbird.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #22
Al Goodwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
I roadraced for 11.years. I found out early that it's much more fun, abd fulfilling, to ride a slow bike fast....than a fast bike slow.

I started out riding an RZ350....with stock brakes ans skinny tires I feel I was getting 90+% of what it could do. Now, in '96, when I bought a ZX-6R, I doubt I was getting 60%, and I had a couple top 3.races.

In 2000 I raced an SV650,.stock.engine, even the stock pipe....I won 20+ races that year, 3.regional championships, and a 3rd at the GNF. I PRETTY confident I was getti.g 90%.out of that bike.

If you're talking street bikes....I doubt anyone is getting 50%.of a modern sportbikes performance out of the machine.....

Off-road, even though I've had some good finishes at hare-scrambles....I'm not getting near the bikes capabilities...mainly due to physical fitness levels more so.than.riding ability.

It's a wide and varied subject matter, it'd be a good discussion with a group someday....I.just ante typing.
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Al Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #23
Phineas
Joe Lunchbox

Oddometer: 161
For a racer I'm sure it's a totally different story. For me, Joe average, I use about 85 or 90% of my performance on every ride. It doesn't matter whether I'm commuting or in the canyons or on a trip. It might be 30% or 80% of what my VFR can do but I always ride to a sensation level of "I'm pushing it but I'm ready if things start to go south". The bike is is just the means..
Phineas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #24
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,044
on my S1000RR? 20% on a good day.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #25
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossMaverick View Post
Folks that claim they are riding at 85% or more on the street aren't really riding at the peak level the bike is capable of, or unless they are insane (for public road dangers), or are riding a very small displacement bike.
I tend to look at these statements as the rider saying that they are riding at 85% of their potential skill level, not necessarily the bike potential.

I am pretty sure that I don't cross over 50-75% of the bikes potential. But the upper end of that is reaching the limits of MY current potential.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #26
Flo_Evans
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Greater than 50%, less than 100%?

I always try to leave a little lean angle but I am WOT most of the time. If I tuck just right I can hit the rev limiter in top gear.
Flo_Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #27
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Weebee r 250r engine 100%
Handling on the street,60%
The stock suspension needs a lot of work!
Old 04-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #28
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
I tend to look at these statements as the rider saying that they are riding at 85% of their potential skill level, not necessarily the bike potential.
That's like saying "you can't read/understand and didn't answer the question".
Old 04-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #29
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,954
I think people are under estimating their bikes' potential and over estimating how much of that potential they use.... IMHO of course.

I raced a Honda XR650R for one season in the desert and I think toward the end of the season I was starting to use some of the bike's potential - maybe 20%. As my fitness got better, I got stronger and faster the bike came into it's own. It was a beautiful thing to be able to use a machine like that, for what it was designed.
I watch movies like Dust to Glory (the last year the 650R was used in Baja before everyone switched to 450's) or True Champion (the Johhny Campbell story) and I see how those guys ride those bikes and I completely understand how little I was actually using the bike.
After that season I changed over to a KTM525 for desert racing and I immediately knew that I had a very long way to go to even realize 20% of that bike's potential, which is significantly above and beyond what the 650R is capable of.... which is really crazy because of how much faster you can ride a 525.

On the street or even at the track I think I use even less of the bike. Im never near the limit of grip - not like racing in the desert where you're usually near the limit of grip.
I have a Speed Triple and I take it to the track occasionally. Im never the fastest guy out there but certainly never the slowest but I dont think I use the bike to anywhere near 20% of what it's actually capable of.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #30
TheProphet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Talking

Here is an interesting - and eye opening - experiment to do:

Take two thin strips of duct-tape, about 1/2 inch wide. Wrap one strip around your throttle grip, at the far left side. Take the other strip, and wrap it around the stable part of the handlebars right next to the throttle grip. Next to the tape you just placed on the throttle.

Now take a sharpie, and make a make straight across on both, to signify "Throttle closed".

Now Open the throttle all the way, and now mark the stable tape strip where the throttle side sharpie mark ends up. This signifies "Throttle Wide Open". Now estimate and mark the stable strip at the 1/2, 1/4 and 3/4 open marks.

Now go for a normal, average, everyday ride. Note from time to time exactly where the throttle position is.

You may be surprised to find that normally we only ride with the throttle about 1/4 to 1/3 open. Rarely do we ride with the throttle 1/2 to 3/4 open.

Try it.
TheProphet is offline   Reply With Quote