Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2014, 06:05 AM   #46
danh600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I have an FJR. I probably utilize about half of its performance capabilities.
I use much of my cruisers ability. I mean when I am leaning off and floor boards are scraping there is just not a whole lot more there. I am sure my braking and throttle control are not perfect, but I am learning. I would say I am using much of that bikes capabilities. That's not to say an expert rider couldn't do more with it.

My new FJR I am just scratching the surface. The handling is way above a cruiser. With only 700 miles under my belt on that bike I am still in pre-school.
danh600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #47
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,834
I can't use anywhere near 100% of any bike I've ever owned. I can't even use anywhere near all the power of my current DR650s. I almost never hit the throttle stops in the dirt. I sure as hell can't hit the stops on pavement in 1st gear. They would loop. I don't drag pegs on these bikes on public roads. I hardly ever bottom the stock suspension on my 2013, and my 2003 has stiffer springs. The DRs could definitely use better damping, but a skilled rider could probably ride whoops and jumps much faster on stock suspension than I can. I only ever carry a max of 1 passenger with luggage, but I've seen pics from Thailand and elsewhere that families of 5 or more saddle up on a bike like the DR, so I know that I'm not using anywhere near it's max potential.

Non-placer racers or less that think they're actually using over 75% of a 600cc+ modern bike's potential on public roads in this country are probably deluding themselves...or risking arrest.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:44 PM   #48
rat110
Has a Zombie House

Oddometer: 502
I use 30-50% of mine. On a rare flat out twisty ride I might use 60-70%.

I have no idea what the performance limits of my vfr are, but I know where mine begin to fade

I have been dragging toes on some bends, so I tuck my toes in to ground out the pegs. That was the limit to the bikes lean. I got off the seat more and fixed it up from there on in.

rat110 screwed with this post 04-21-2014 at 03:07 PM
rat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:20 AM   #49
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
In terms of handling, maybe 50% or less. I hardly ever grind the pegs, and I can never get rid of that last half-inch of chicken strips. It's why I don't really feel the urge to get a new bike; I don't maximize the performance of the one I've got anyway.
GreyThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:21 AM   #50
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post

Non-placer racers or less that think they're actually using over 75% of a 600cc+ modern bike's potential on public roads in this country are probably deluding themselves...or risking arrest.
BIG time...

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:36 AM   #51
riverflow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Depends on how I measure it.

On 55+ highway, anywhere between 60 & 100% of the engine, but not much in is needed in way of turns or suspension. Occasionally a lot of brakes and ABS though.
On single lane back roads I probably use around 60% of the bike overall. If I knew the road well and knew that it was free of debris and traffic I could push a lot more, but it's not a track.
Gravel and dirt? Maybe 30% of the handling/cornering, around 60% of the engine on the straighter bits. 50% of the suspension

I feel like most everyone is more capable than they typically ride, but that's because of a safety factor. The bikes are more capable than our roads, and the riders usually fall somewhere in between.

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:36 AM   #52
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
agree with the above about highways. probably 60-80% of the engine, very little of the handling. around town I probably use 10% of the bike's performance, it's why I'm selling it. I have about a half inch of chicken strip left, there's no way I can get rid of the rest of it in NYC without seriously endangering myself and others.
cccolin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #53
InsideThePerimeter
North GA bound

Oddometer: 140
A little more every trip.

If you Don't Believe in Freedom For All -You Don't Believe in Freedom at All
InsideThePerimeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #54
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 6,735
10% to 110% of every bike I own.
Depends on gear and the moment and what I want to do.

The 110% is when I find out the set up is way more than I thought I could hold on to.

Most riding is 10% cuz I am on a road. Laws and self preservation tend to limit the crazy. Dirt and SM on a course... Way different animal.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #55
Ronbum77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
990R - 90% on the street, 75% in the dirt.. could probably squeeze a little bit more out of her once the suspension gets revalved and resprung, really amazing how the bike handles off road for its size.

XR650L - 120% I ride this baby wayyyy past its potential!!! Takes a lickin', keeps on tickin'!
Ronbum77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #56
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post

+1000

People who think they can drag knee's but haven't actually dragged knee's same boat.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #57
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,782
On my 1250 Bandit I try not to rev it much past 4500rpm,just cruising at low revs is enough over the speed limit to be really pricey,and it will jet off tight corners at low revs,so I dont use a lot of the engine capability.
I'll usually run it up to 120 or so once per ride,just because.

And its not even a fast bike compared to whats available today,having a liter class sportbike on the road would be really frustrating.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:11 AM   #58
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbum77 View Post
990R - 90% on the street, 75% in the dirt.. could probably squeeze a little bit more out of her once the suspension gets revalved and resprung, really amazing how the bike handles off road for its size.

XR650L - 120% I ride this baby wayyyy past its potential!!! Takes a lickin', keeps on tickin'!
If you can use 75% of a 990R engine off road,you are really doing something special and deserve much respect.
90% of a 990 onroad would be going really,really fast.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #59
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 1,295
2013 DR650 7,300 miles (stock trim)

Solo rideing only.

I"m actually closer to 50% than 100% in every category you could think of.

I've only been WOT twice in those miles. Both times were in 5th gear.

I pretty much baby the MC on and off road.

It looks like it will be a while for me to "up grade."

The Tiger 800XC and the F800GS are way above my skill set and demands as a rider.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #60
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
On my 1250 Bandit I try not to rev it much past 4500rpm,just cruising at low revs is enough over the speed limit to be really pricey,and it will jet off tight corners at low revs,so I dont use a lot of the engine capability.
I'll usually run it up to 120 or so once per ride,just because.

And its not even a fast bike compared to whats available today,having a liter class sportbike on the road would be really frustrating.

that's exactly what I started thinking once I got my FZ. real life riding is so limiting on that thing, I can't imagine how frustrating having a RSV4 or S1000RR would be unless you were on the track. seems like you'd have to keep every rider aid turned on and still be riding at 5% all the time. controlling 130hp is a pain in the ass enough, I can't imagine trying to enjoy a nearly 200hp bike on the street.

i will say that when i had an SV, I was using much closer to 90-100% of it's performance when doing long rides.
cccolin is online now   Reply With Quote