Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #61
jsalman93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
On my Fz6 I probably only use about 30%-50% of the engine, mainly due to road rules and self-preservation
Lean angle, probably about 40%-ish percent. I always leave myself more room to lean on the road, in case of unexpected road conditions (tightening turns, gravel, etc)

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #62
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,494
On good days , with the right mix of twistys, gravel and light dirt I probobly get nearly all a KLR has in it out to play. Lots of WFO , because there's a limited amount of power to be had.
Usually on my '96 Ducati Monster most of what it's capable of gets left alone. I know this because of the time I rode with a couple of Cops on 600 and 750 super sports and leaned the Duc so far in a few corners that my foot was dragged off the peg. Not the bikes real limit , just need to raise the pegs to get in deeper.
My SR 500 was ridden with a pegged throttle most of the time on back roads. About 30,000 miles worth.
The HD Roadking I bought last year is intimidating me with it's girth and weight. I've yet to drag a floorboard or feel like pushing it toward it's limit. Just not the feel I get from it. The thing weighs about what my Monster and KLR weigh together.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #63
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
I nearly always use all of the engine that I can, but only in a straight line :p and because it's mostly legal here.

Cornering I probably drop right down to about 20% - I tend to have half an inch of chicken strip on the tyres and I've maybe once, maximum twice, gotten a peg down for about a 1/10th of a second I did grind the crap out of the centre stand though - but then that's not all that hard on a VF750 - in fact it's so easy that, after grinding it whilst riding on a motorway, I took it off (impossible on a Breva though and my AT doesn't even have one - which sucks the large one).

That said, I've over-taken a fair few sportbikes who're going kneedown on roundabouts, whilst I'm on the outside lane, practically upright - peering at them and wondering why they're going so bloody slowly with their arses hanging off

I'll get a sportsbike one day but, until then, I'm very happy being a bimbler
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #64
ChuckS
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 639
K1100 with sidecar = I'd guess commonly 50%. Occasionally, 100%. At one time or another, I've had each of the wheels off the ground while avoiding something or other. The ABS gets used, and the right wrist.

DL650- I'd guess about the same on the street. Off road, maybe 10% of it's rather limited abilities. I'm 140 lbs & picking up the top heavy pig gets old fast.

1993 K1100LT w/Ural hack
DL650 K4
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #65
Milosh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Better indicator

A better indicator for those of you saying 85% or more.

If you have a sportsbike, how much faster would, say, Tom Sykes be on your bike?

If you have an offroad bike, how much faster would, say, Marc Coma be on your bike?

My guess would be somewhere north of 15%.
Milosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #66
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milosh View Post
A better indicator for those of you saying 85% or more.

If you have a sportsbike, how much faster would, say, Tom Sykes be on your bike?

If you have an offroad bike, how much faster would, say, Marc Coma be on your bike?

My guess would be somewhere north of 15%.
It's unlikely that whomever could turn the throttle more than 115% open or lean the bike more than 115% when 100% means pegs (or fixed parts for the more daring ones) touching the ground.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:07 PM   #67
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
89.659970211%

One guys "99% may be another guys 20%" all these percentages that everyone is posting is very subjective.

One guy may be on a cruiser and think that going from stoplight to stoplight doing burnouts is high performance riding. Another guy may thing going 51mph around a slight corner that is posted at 50mph is faster than what pro's are going around a track.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:29 PM   #68
Milosh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
89.659970211%

One guys "99% may be another guys 20%" all these percentages that everyone is posting is very subjective.

One guy may be on a cruiser and think that going from stoplight to stoplight doing burnouts is high performance riding. Another guy may thing going 51mph around a slight corner that is posted at 50mph is faster than what pro's are going around a track.
To drag up this old thread. This is crap.

If you can't admit that Marc Marquez is faster than you on your sportbike around anywhere, you are delusional. If you can't admit that Marc Coma would smoke you on your own bike on any terrain, you are delusional.

These folks are truly fast and you'd be dusted by the likes of Colin Edwards on a TT125 with you on the same bike.

It wouldn't be close.
Milosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #69
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
In the tradition of dumb threads, this is is one of the dumber threads of all time. And yet I post. Like seeing a pile of poop, then stepping in it.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:52 AM   #70
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Less than 100% over all, in every facet. To say otherwise would be to claim that no other rider could ride a given bike better or faster than me and that would most certainly not be true.

A pro-drag racer will get from the engines power.
A pro-road racer would get more from the handling.
A pro-mx'r or trail rider will get more from the suspension.

Though I suppose I could get 100% of a motorcycles load carrying capacity if I loaded it up with enough lead. :)

Not sure what the point here is?
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:43 AM   #71
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 185
Laugh

I am old, I rarely use very much of my street bike's potential, although I am pretty good on the brakes. I quit riding dirt when the bikes got tall enough to put the seat on the same level as my armpits, but used to really enjoy roosting my 450 Maico around the perimeter road at Croom.

I retired from drag racing in 2009 and sold my entire operation. That is the one case where I can assure anyone that no one could go faster on MY bike than ME, unless they weighed less, or had better aero (at the same state of tune).

fast1075 screwed with this post 10-10-2014 at 03:45 AM Reason: spelin
fast1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:08 AM   #72
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,844
Is zero possible?
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #73
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 494
I tend to push my bike pretty close to its limits (occasionally beyond, I'm ashamed to say). A better rider could get more out of it, mostly by being smoother: smoother shifting, smoother turns, later braking, etc.

I have scraped a peg a couple times, but don't do it regularly.

Then again, I'm on a TUx, so it's not like there's a lot of performance to be wrung out of it.
Prettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:04 AM   #74
Reduxalicious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Engine: 75%-90%
Handling: 20%-50% Seeing as where I live has almost no twisty's haha.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #75
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,188
Using 100% of the motor's power is not using 100% of the bike under most circumstances.

ZX-7R when I had it on the track - up to 100%, and while it did amazingly well (it would surprise the crap out of far better built, and lighter, race bikes - those racers claimed it was me, but I claim it was the bike)... there is no doubt that a higher-end suspension and tuning would have been nice. So 100% of what was there, with both tires sliding sometimes, and could have used 100% of the next step up.

The same bike, or other sport bikes, on the street? 25% to 30%?

The first cruiser I had - a Vulcan 800... up to 95% on the street at times. It didn't have a tach, so I don't know about the engine, but I pushed it to its limits in power band and lean angles often as a daily commuter.

The DR650 I have now? Up to 60%, but that is off-roading. The penalty for getting close to 100% with it, its weight, its deficiencies in suspension and that narrow line of in-control or out of control is, at 43 years of age, not something I'm willing to push. DR650 on the street? 10% to 80%. That 80% would be at max power, highest gear, but still not using 100% of the suspension to keep the bike within its limits.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote