User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2014, 01:25 AM   #1
IrishJohn OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Gloves problem

This is nuts. I have a Suzuki TU 250 for well over a year now but was all set to give up on it today. The problem has been that my wrists ache like heck after ten or twenty minutes on it, feel really uncomfortable and strained. I also own three or four pairs of gloves and use them interchangeably depending on weather/convenience/proximity - well, it's been a long wet cold winter in St L and today was the first day in weeks I went out for a spin. More to keep the battery charged than anything because the wrist thing is ruining it all for me. I got some groceries but left my gloves behind and some effin effer took them so for the first time ever, because I am an ATGATT weenie normally, I rode without gloves.

CANNOT BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE IT MADE! NO discomfort whatsoever, the bike felt much more easy to handle and for the first time since getting it (and allowing that I got back into riding after a gap of many years so was taking it easy/nervous at first) I felt the old thrill from bygone years.

Here's my problem - if I were only using one pair of gloves it would obviously be the gloves, but I have used four to seven different pairs and the result was similar, a kind of aching stretched feeling and pressure at the wrists.

I don't want to ride without gloves but cannot stand the feeling in my wrists with them but don't know why gloves seemingly cause the problem. Has anyone any insights into this nutty situation please?
Old 04-11-2014, 02:08 AM   #2
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,567
Try riggers gloves. Plain undyed leather. Most hardware stores will have them, pick a pair with a standards mark, preferably CE. I got some double sided velcro and sewed it around the wrist to keep them on. You can wrap the velcro loosely, it should still keep them on, but without aggravating the wrist.

Did it here to deal with the heat and sweaty hands, however much you may sneer, a LOT better than thin perforated leather motorcycle gloves.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:22 AM   #3
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJohn View Post
Has anyone any insights into this nutty situation please?
I tend to dislike riding with gloves because I invariably death grip the bars. Between reduced feel and especially low friction, I will quickly start to grip tighter and tighter. Which means in just a few minutes, my forearms are aching, my hands are going to sleep, and my wrists start to hurt.

I have found some semi-solutions. Gloves with rubber cement or similar such on the palms that let my relaxed hand hold the throttle open help greatly. Leather grips that tend to stick lightly to leather gloves has also worked. Fatter grips that hold my hand more open also seems to help reduce the strain.

I'm also quick to change handlebars. Where my hands are and what angle my wrists are at make a tremendous difference in comfort and control of the bike.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:42 AM   #4
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,065
I think you guysnare using ill-fitting gloves. You don't want them too tight. Try one size larger. And always go with leather.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,617
I agree - size up!!

I didn't have wrist problems so much as my fingers were getting crunched from the gloves not being long enough. Take something grip-sized with you to try on gloves - a piece of 1/2" PVC or something similar. Make it long enough that you can hold it with one hand and really grab onto it with the other, forcing the glove into the web of your thumb. Wrap your fingers around there and hold tight to see if there are any pinches or whatever. If there are, size up!

Sadly, the gloves I like the best are rather shorter than would be ideal, and I must file my nails away to nothing to wear them. And even then, about an hour is enough.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:25 AM   #6
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
I'll endorse this….

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
Try riggers gloves. Plain undyed leather. Most hardware stores will have them, pick a pair with a standards mark, preferably CE. I got some double sided velcro and sewed it around the wrist to keep them on. You can wrap the velcro loosely, it should still keep them on, but without aggravating the wrist.

Did it here to deal with the heat and sweaty hands, however much you may sneer, a LOT better than thin perforated leather motorcycle gloves.

Pete
Plain leather riggers' gloves are what I wear in warmer weather at home in the west.

When it gets cooler I wear fleece lined leather mittens, with woollen under gloves when it gets really cold and I have a fair distance to travel. Motorcycle experts may suggest that they limit your ability to operate the controls, but once used to them it is not an issue. Operating controls with cold hands and / or bulky gloves is more of a problem.

I have never been impressed with "proper" motorcycle gloves. They are too bulky, complicated, difficult to pull on, and expensive.

Where I am now, gloves are seldom seem. Traveling at relatively low speeds in tropical heat we are prepared to take the risk.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #7
aterry1067
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
I'm kinda the same as Foxtrapper. If the palms and fingers of the gloves are too thick, then I lose then sensation of touch and end up squeezing with a lot more force. I try to find gloves with thinner undersides. My favorite riding gloves are pilots gloves, which are basically a piece of nomex on the outside and a very thin layer of leather on the palm-side. These would probably provide very little protection, but they provide great touch feedback. I normally wear deerskin gloves though, and like them OK.

Any glove is better than no glove, but it's also your ride and you can ride with (or without) anything that makes you happy and comfortable.
aterry1067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:38 AM   #8
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
I have 3 pairs of gloves. Two are longer gloves with and without insulation and a gauntlet that goes over the wrist. The third pair is my summer pair that is full leather and ends at the wrist. The summer pair is by far the most comfortable and my stance on the bike is more relaxed since I don't have to hold my arms funny to account for the bulk of the gauntlets. Could the gauntlets be cutting off your circulation or causing you to hold the bars funny?
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #9
VTphoneman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Sounds like the gloves are too small like others have said. Motorcycle gloves should be loose when flat handed. I always make a fist and hold it for a minute or two when trying on gloves. If it doesnt wear out the muscles for your hand it should be good.

"Don't get cruiser sloppy" Unknown Inmate
VTphoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #10
Elusion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I'll echo what's already been said: your gloves may have been too small.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 568
Get some leather gloves that fit well. Soak them thoroughly. Ride in them 'till they're dry on a hot day, for a slow ride. Come home, and let them dry completely. Oil the hell out of them. They should fit much better now.

I've got the same issue, and it seems to be a fit issue. Basically, the gloves fit perfectly until I grab the bars, and then the thumb on the other side of the bar from the rest of my fingers pulls the fabric/leather tight across the back of my hand and my pinky fights it. Had this issue with every pair of gloves I've ridden in. Gotta get 'em wet, and I mean really sweat in them a few times, and they'll fit better.
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #12
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,808
I had the opposite problem. I never used to like wearing gloves, I noticed my hands getting numb on long rides,(I don't take long rides in winter, so figured it was just long rides) but noticed it didn't happen in spring and fall when I wore single layer non insulated leather gloves. Now if I don't wear them even on a short ride my hands fall asleep.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #13
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,007
Where is the pain, as in which portion of your wrist?
Back of the wrist, underside of the wrist, or outside surface(s)?
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:52 AM   #14
BossMaverick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
I had discomfort with the diameter of grips while using gloves. You really need some flexible gloves for stock grip diameters.

The $10 solution is to get grip puppies. It makes a night and day difference. I really think that a set would help your pains.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:07 AM   #15
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 990
You need to be able to put your hands on the grips, putting some weight on the bars, without the gloves hurting your fingertips. If you can't, the gloves are too small.

Also it should be easy to curl your fingers around the grips. If the gloves aren't too small, maybe you just need better gloves.

The point about grip size is valid too. I think grips are typically sized for people with small hands. If you don't have small hands, larger grips might be nice. Grip Puppies are good, though I find they insulate me from the grip warmers too much. If I didn't use heated grips I'd still use Grip Puppies.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote