Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2014, 12:31 AM   #16
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 789
These look comfy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ICON-MENS-PU...3D251399968594
Similar to the Decade gloves I've been wearing for 5 yrs with no issues, but my size is out of stock right now and I feel like I deserve a new pair, so ordered the Icon.
BTW E-bay is cheaper ($60) than Amazom prime ($75) ???

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #17
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 512
We'll (I'll) want a review of the Pursuits if/when you get 'em.
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #18
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,679
Btw, you should give up on the TU250, I'll take care of it for you.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #19
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,207
I say try different grips. Get some that you think you need, bigger diameter cruising, grippy dirt bike style, etc.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:22 PM   #20
Riplinstill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I don't use riding gloves unless it's really cold. If you ever fall off, the last thing you want to do is put your hands down. I learned that from snowboarding.
Riplinstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #21
DustyRags
Idiot

Agreed- it's one of the last things you should do.

But you will. It's instinct. I always wear gloves with leather palms, but that's your call.

For grips- I'm partial to Oury grips. Perfect mix of size and quidginess without being too gummy.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #22
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riplinstill View Post
I don't use riding gloves unless it's really cold. If you ever fall off, the last thing you want to do is put your hands down. I learned that from snowboarding.
Do you really think you have the ability to control what part of your body hits the ground in a motorcycle wreck?
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:14 AM   #23
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,207
I get where he's coming from, mtbing has taught me the crash position, which is like a half-fetal position. I go for gloves with extra armor on the pinky side of the hand and the outside of the wrist.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:27 AM   #24
tire joe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Just wear gloves, it takes months for your hands to heal.
tire joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #25
IrishJohn OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Thank you all :)

You lot are amazing!! I went out again and this time, keeping what you all posted in mind, was able to crack the puzzle. While the gloves 'fit' properly when put on/'normal' activities etc. really focusing on what was going on I realized that the finger parts ARE tight, the length of them is too short to be curling around the grips easily for any length of time and that the 'webbing' between the fingers/thumb parts too restricting. It's a rather subtle thing - lots of little pressure points all working against having a relaxed and natural feeling grip all contributing to hand pain and fatigue.

I realized that subconsciously too I was making all sorts of adjustments in hand and finger position trying to relieve the pressure/pain which lead to a 'vicious (motor)cycle' deal :) The more you try and alleviate the pressures the worse the pressures/constrictions get.

Fitting for a motorbike is a hell of a different game than for 'street' wear and what amazes me now is that of the four pairs of 'motorcycle gloves' I have, not one pair is any better thought out than the three 'street' lot.

So - will now be looking for something that gives protection, has relatively HUGE finger and thumb parts with adequate webbing space between while also not being so loose around the wrists that they are flopping all over the place.

Thanks again everyone - am much more happy now and looking forward to many years more riding than I though I would do
Old 04-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #26
DustyRags
Idiot

Great news!

Break in might be the trick, at least for a second pair of gloves (once you've found some that fit well enough). My favorite pair is a set of Taichi road gloves I got from a friend. They were too tight at first, but eventually broke in to my hands, and now they fit amazingly well all day long. Sure, they can be a pain to get on and off, especially once I've sweated a bit and my hands are damp, but once they're on, they disappear.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #27
BossMaverick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
As much as I like the prices of online shopping, gloves are one of those items that are best bought at real stores if you don't have normal hands. My hands have long fingers but are narrow, so trying to find perfect gloves can be a challenge.

Also, grip puppies are well worth the $10 if you have hand or wrist discomfort, trust me.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:17 AM   #28
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,030
I think there are three issues at play here.

1) you are wearing gloves that are too small. Go up a size.
2) check to make sure your brake and clutch levers are adjusted correctly. In your normal sitting position, when you extend your fingers so that your forearm to finger tips makes a straight line, your fingers should be resting on top of the levers. Too many people have the levers too high and have to twist their wrist up to get around the lever. Tight gloves makes this worse.
3) you are putting too much weight on your wrists. Squeeze the bike with your knees and use your core and hip flexor muscles to hold your torso up.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #29
TorontoAlex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
http://www.pashnit.com/pics/products...ottle1-640.jpg

Check the pic above. Get one of those thingies. Google motorcycle throttle lock / throttle cruise control. I bought one of these and LOVE it. It will help reduce hand and wrist pain. For $5 it's worth a shot. I can go much longer on rides without any discomfort. Also try strengthening your arms. Sound silly but I know for a fact it helps quite a bit.

As mentioned before proper fit helps. I have a thin leather racing type glove with no insulation and it works great. When i put on my snowmobile gloves in cold weather I get the pain right away all up to my elbow. Heated grips have permitted me to wear my regular gloves in colder weather down to 5-10celcius. I am looking at Alpinestars Tech Heated gloves that have less insulation on the front and heated only on the backside. Haven't tried them but revzilla has a video review. Worth checking out.
TorontoAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #30
Riplinstill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopaMundial View Post
Do you really think you have the ability to control what part of your body hits the ground in a motorcycle wreck?
You do have the ability to keep your hands in. It is hard because your natural instinct is to put your hands out. Did I say you could control your body in a wreck?
Riplinstill is offline   Reply With Quote