Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2014, 04:29 AM   #46
kbroderick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Wish I could find some winter gloves designed for heated grips - Nice thick insulation on fingertips, thumb and backs of hands but none on palms - Not only would be warmer but would elminate this squeezing problem.
Someone pointed out a Rev'It glove designed for this task; I'd recommend the Held Warm N Dry, although they're a bit tough to get in the U.S. at the moment. They're not quite a full-on winter glove, but with heated grips, I've found them plenty warm enough a bit below 40' Fahrenheit; if you had wind-blocking hand guards, which I don't, I expect they'd be fine and dandy well below that. My experience is that the Held gloves are a much better value than the Rev'its...they're still pricy, but they have the build quality to back it up. I have a pair of Rev'it rain gloves (I forget the model at the moment), which are pretty decent, but not at the same level of quality as the Helds. The biggest difference seems to be that they're missing the final touches—the liners want to pull out with your hands when you take them off, and they don't have a finger squeegee. No such issues with the Helds.
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:20 AM   #47
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Like this? Google "Heated grip gloves" for more. Warning- these are not cheap...

Rev'It! Fusion GTX Gloves

Tailor made to work with your heated grips, the Rev’It! Fusion GTX glove makes do with a slightly thinner construction to take full advantage of the heat transfer. And though the insulation material might be thinner, the winter riding properties of the Fusion GTX are as tough as ever. Protective, waterproof and very comfortable are all key words here with this premium motorcycle glove.
Do these actually have an unlined/uninsulated palm and insulated back or are they just lightly insulated gloves? The description implies the latter.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:22 AM   #48
kwb377
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
For those who hate to wear gloves, I hope you have a really good friend lined up to assist you while your rashed hands heal. You know, someone that will wipe your ass for you, pull your pecker out when you need to piss, bathe you, etc.

My father suffered burns to his hands when I was a kid, and my mother had to do everything for him for about 6 weeks. Not something I want to experience.
~ IBA #55309
'11 Ninja 1K
'04 200 EXC
'82 GS650G
http://www.bikepics.com/members/kwb377/
kwb377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #49
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 370
Its been said a couple times before but I feel its worth mentioning again.

I held off on buying a crampbuster/ throttle rocker for years because I thought it would get in the way and only be good for interstate travel. I decided to buy one when I did my fly/ride from flatistan (aka Florida) figuring it wouldn't hurt with no curves to speak of.

I haven't taken it off since, 10k miles later. Once I found the sweet spot it allows me to have a looser grip on the bars while maintaining better throttle control.

Turns out that my gloves were stretching slightly through the day and I was gripping the bars much firmer than necessary to compensate.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:56 AM   #50
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I've got a pair of Held Steves that I don't think I'm ever going to wear out.
I don't think I could wear a pair of gloves named "Steve." Who came up with that?

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #51
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Do these actually have an unlined/uninsulated palm and insulated back or are they just lightly insulated gloves? The description implies the latter.
No clue, but I know there are some out there like you're asking for. I had a pair, but they still had too much insulation. Caveat: My heated grips go to '11'.

I wear the Held Steve's, which have some padding on the back and are unlined. If it's going to be below 35 or so for more than an hour of the ride, I just throw the handlebar muffs on, then I can wear my favorite summer gloves.

dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:49 AM   #52
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Hmm, so I should not wear gloves because my hands likely will contact the ground first. Sounds legit...

I think I will put my hands in my pockets at the first sign of trouble to be safe.

I also will train my body to overcome the laws of physics so I can remain in the fetal position, tumbling gracefully along the tarmac. This will allow me to roll well clear of my sliding bike, as well as eliminate any possibility of getting road rash. There will be no need for pants.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:04 AM   #53
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
For those who hate to wear gloves, I hope you have a really good friend lined up to assist you while your rashed hands heal. You know, someone that will wipe your ass for you, pull your pecker out when you need to piss, bathe you, etc.

My father suffered burns to his hands when I was a kid, and my mother had to do everything for him for about 6 weeks. Not something I want to experience.
Well at least he still had fingers. My motorbike trainer told me about a guy he knew who had minus two fingers after he thought no gloves is fine. They were just sanded down in a relatively minor crash. That was enough to convince me.

For me it is Kangaroo. Almost feels like you wear nothing: super flexible, thin, and (hopefully) quite wear-resistant. Apparently they can be as annoying as deer if you live in that part of the world, but what do I know.

Good gloves are well worth the money.

Quote:
I wear the Held Steve's, which have some padding on the back and are unlined. If it's going to be below 35 or so for more than an hour of the ride, I just throw the handlebar muffs on, then I can wear my favorite summer gloves.
So you just stick your Steve in the muff, got it.

Ah the joys of being childish never get old