Honda 10 58.82%
Montesa 7 41.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
Nostop OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Montesa is dead, long live Honda

If this is the case for the production bikes. Montesa hasn't built a bike for years anyway, they've all been HRC Hondas with a Montesa decal on them. We won't have to pretend anymore. The purist might not like it, but no one else will be bothered, we all buy them because there Honda's anyway.

Nostop screwed with this post 04-11-2014 at 10:32 AM
Nostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 825
I would like to think that Montesa is still with us and that the root of what they are is still in the bike despite the fact that HRC is the driving force behind them.

Ether way I am not hurt as I love the bikes!
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,435
Remembering the real Montesa's of old...I hate to see the name go.
However, it's not like Honda hasn't already been a great name in trials or that this bike is not a Honda in most every way, and even sold as one in some markets.

Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,765
Truly a shame. I was never a big fan of big corporations "retiring" long-standing marques for the sake of "streamlining" (or whatever dumb reasons they give). Montesa now is in the company of Plymouth and Oldsmobile I guess.

Maybe Honda had an agreement with Montesa to keep the marque for a requisite number of years when they purchased them? Just a guess on my part. I'm sure the More Informed Than I know, and may shed some light on it.

Still and all, I'm not a fan of it.

Viva Montesa!!
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
Nostop OP
Adventurer

My understanding (but not sure) was that Honda bought the Montesa factory to get around the import restrictions in the 80's, or something like that. I think the Honda name has just as much history in trials and arguably (Honda bikes branded as Montesa's) more success.

Maybe (I'm jumping the gun a bit on this) this is the prelude to the release of a Brand New bike for 2015, sold as a Honda and now, at a Honda dealer in the US. If all this years bikes sell well in the US, I would have thought you'll be getting a much bigger allocation for 2015.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post

Maybe Honda had an agreement with Montesa to keep the marque for a requisite number of years when they purchased them? Just a guess on my part. I'm sure the More Informed Than I know, and may shed some light on it.

Still and all, I'm not a fan of it.

Viva Montesa!!
brewtus, the original agreement in 1984 was that the Montesa brand would survive 10 years. It has now been 30 years. Honda has more than kept their part of the bargain.

Honda was very smart in recognizing the value of the experienced people at Montesa. There are still some original people at Montesa Honda SA in Spain that have been there for decades. It is a great partnership.

Originally it was done to get around restrictive Spainish laws and allow Honda to build scooters and street bikes in Spain at the Montesa Honda factory. Yamaha bought into Sanglas. Suzuki bought the Spainsh Puch factory and Kawasaki did a deal with Derbi.

Now the Trials Team is under the direct control and support of HRC. Hence the name change. The one thing that is undeniable is that Montesa and Honda have made Trials history together.
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
I would like to think that Montesa is still with us and that the root of what they are is still in the bike despite the fact that HRC is the driving force behind them.

Ether way I am not hurt as I love the bikes!
I like that.
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowPSI View Post
brewtus, the original agreement in 1984 was that the Montesa brand would survive 10 years. It has now been 30 years. Honda has more than kept their part of the bargain.

Honda was very smart in recognizing the value of the experienced people at Montesa. There are still some original people at Montesa Honda SA in Spain that have been there for decades. It is a great partnership.

Ooh, I really like that!

Quote:
Originally it was done to get around restrictive Spainish laws and allow Honda to build scooters and street bikes in Spain at the Montesa Honda factory. Yamaha bought into Sanglas. Suzuki bought the Spainsh Puch factory and Kawasaki did a deal with Derbi.

Makes sense.

Quote:
Now the Trials Team is under the direct control and support of HRC. Hence the name change. The one thing that is undeniable is that Montesa and Honda have made Trials history together.

Won't argue that. I've been a Honda/HRC/RSC fan since I was in junior high. I later became a Registered Honda Technician mostly due to loyalty. They have rarely been the desired underdog ("Overdog" is a better description), but that has never changed my loyalty. I have 4 HRC Montesas in my garage, and I would not trade for any of them. I'm just a bit sad to see the Montesa name go away, that's all.

Now if Honda would just start casting "HRC" into the engine cases again.....
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #9
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,389
It doesn't sound like much of a change except in "name only", but still sad to see the Montesa name disappear.
I was expecting to see this much sooner and I'm sure the Honda marketing types view the superior name recognition, branding and streamlining opportunities plus improved "synergies" with MotoGP Repsol Honda...also dominated by Spanish riders who haven't suffered too much in the all important domestic market for not riding a Spanish "brand".
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:11 AM   #10
Nostop OP
Adventurer

The factory Honda Team bikes still have a Montesa Logo on them.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:04 AM   #11
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 969
There was a shiny new 'Honda' 4RT at the event this last weekend. Some of us were looking for new design details things on the bike. Later, there was a conversation about pulling a joke on the proud new owner by saying, "Wow! That's the nicest looking $10,000 paint job I've ever seen!"

We didn't of course, and instead we had a great time together. Honda, Montesa. New, or old stable design. Don't care. Great bike.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #12
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,502
Thumb Montesa

I'm old and don't like changes much. But then I could just put some honda wings on the tank eh.