Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #31
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,010
I saw a guy riding a YZ450F in a trial in NM. I jumped on that bike and tried riding trials like and was instantly reminded of why that is so hard. Like riding an exploding and dying refrigerator

The best trail bike for trials are the small dualsports, geared down. But they are still quite limiting.

As for a comment made on how trailering to places is a negative, I have only two kinds of motos, trials and dualsports. I don't have not street legal bigger offroad bikes. But it's interesting that I never think that's a negative for a trials bike. It's one of those you have to be inside to understand things.

It takes so little land to do a lot on a trials bike, and they are so easy to load and unload. I just ride mine into the pickup. None of that push, huff, and struggle stuff. And no need to bring a ton of fuel or a load of cockroach body armor.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #32
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripsteruser View Post
Some comments from an uninvolved bystander who wishes you well-

Picture riding loops in the Colorado high country
I'm following this thread. I hope this helped a little bit.
Picture that RMTA has been setting trials in the high country since 1970. Picture 2- 20 mile loops that you cannot even get to on your dual sport. Consider the loop is the easy part of trials. I see a pickup in your future. Come out and score the Ute Cup for a breath of fresh air. More Info http://www.rockymountaintrials.org/index.html. You know you want too.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #33
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
I see very few. Most riders seem to be as interested in owning a Trials bike as riding a Trial, in many cases more so.

Sadly the trailbike seems to be a disappearing breed, replaced by racer replicas.
Common bikes that work well are air cooled with conventional forks, this gives them good steering lock. Honda XRs work fine. Small dualsports can also work well, such as Kawasaki Super Sherpa and Yamaha XT250.

But even MX bikes can work, if that's what you trail ride.
If folks really want to grow the Trials scene, designating a class to this specific type (250 cc or less standard dirtbikes) would pay big dividends. A lot more folks have an old XR250 or Super Sherpa kicking around, and could get a taste of what the sport is about. I'm sure folks would also like to see some of the more skilled riders test their limits with a less than ideal tool.

Boiled down to its essence, it seems like the sport is about riding more surefootedly (no matter what your steed) and I think any way to encourage that is a good thing.
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:55 PM   #34
joebiodiesel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I doubt that Trials will ever be a popular sport. Compared to other motorsports it is relatively boring to watch. Nobody is moving fast, flying over huge jumps or tangling their bikes in spectacular crashes with other bikes, and that is what fans like to see. Unless you ride trials, it is a hard sport to appreciate.

Without putting fans in seats to watch it, big sponsorship won't be drawn to the sport. Without big sponsorship, it is hard to develop big talent in large numbers. It is crummy that that is the way things are. I think it is a great sport. The training and competition is relatively safe, and great exercise...but I'm preaching to the choir at this point.

So, want to make it exciting? Put riders in full body armor. Make 2 riders ride the same section at the same time, starting at opposite ends. When they meet in the middle they have to try to crash the other guy off his bike. The first guy out of the section wins. We can even invent flashy names for ourselves like pro wrestlers. Maybe we'll be able to tour with the Monster Truck Series.

Joe
2005 Gasgas TXT 280 Pro
1976 Honda CT70

joebiodiesel screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 05:57 PM Reason: additional silly info added
joebiodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #35
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
If folks really want to grow the Trials scene, designating a class to this specific type (250 cc or less standard dirtbikes) would pay big dividends. A lot more folks have an old XR250 or Super Sherpa kicking around, and could get a taste of what the sport is about. I'm sure folks would also like to see some of the more skilled riders test their limits with a less than ideal tool.

Boiled down to its essence, it seems like the sport is about riding more surefootedly (no matter what your steed) and I think any way to encourage that is a good thing.
Well there's no reason to limit the displacement of the bike. But it's been tried, with very little success. I found that for every one of the very few riders that wanted to ride a Trials event on their trail bike there were 20 or 30 who buy Trials bikes with no intention of ever competing and another 10 who buy a Trials bike, ride one or two events, and give up.
Personally I agree with you, believe me I've tried.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #36
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebiodiesel View Post
So, want to make it exciting? Put riders in full body armor. Make 2 riders ride the same section at the same time, starting at opposite ends. When they meet in the middle they have to try to crash the other guy off his bike. The first guy out of the section wins. We can even invent flashy names for ourselves like pro wrestlers. Maybe we'll be able to tour with the Monster Truck Series.

Joe
This.

It took 34 posts, but we have a winnah. This has started a whole Mad Max or Hunger Games type film reel running through my already warped mind. Gotta include some awesome sounding 4T bikes, and ...
Old 04-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #37
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
Well there's no reason to limit the displacement of the bike. But it's been tried, with very little success. I found that for every one of the very few riders that wanted to ride a Trials event on their trail bike there were 20 or 30 who buy Trials bikes with no intention of ever competing and another 10 who buy a Trials bike, ride one or two events, and give up.
Personally I agree with you, believe me I've tried.
Instead of breaking it down by displacement, could you break it down by weight? Say "heavyweights" are 250 lb (bike, wet weight) or more?
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #38
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
l. You know you want to.
Yes I want to. I have a very long list of things I want to do.

Unfortunately there are many, many obstacles between wanting and doing.

Previous- XT350, CB900F, XL185S, GS425E

Gripsteruser screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 07:44 PM
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #39
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura0107 View Post
This.

It took 34 posts, but we have a winnah. This has started a whole Mad Max or Hunger Games type film reel running through my already warped mind. Gotta include some awesome sounding 4T bikes, and ...
This was basically done by the Florida club at Daytona bike week in the early 80`s. Identical trials course which was a race and timed. Where it got interesting was going over the car as if it was timed right included banging the bars! Luckily I got to enjoy this in person. Anyone with Schriebers book will remember the Union 76 balls side by side! Great action for the masses. The original Endurocross?
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #40
2feetdown OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
maybe a true trials cross would be a good show not just trials bikes on an endurocross track but trials bikes on a tight track with bigger and more frequent obstacles and little or no jumps. It would also be a good way to tear up bikes hurt riders also wear out bikes and riders.

I was sure that the internet and forums about trials would bring about a boost. I thought top trials riders preforming so well in the endurocross would give it a boost. Maybe it did the economic crash of 2009 may have offset it. Now that economy has came back maybe we will see the growth. I think instead of any changes to the sport a grass root effort like having an extra bike and letting someone try it out might be the best.
2feetdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #41
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
This was basically done by the Florida club at Daytona bike week in the early 80`s. Identical trials course which was a race and timed. Where it got interesting was going over the car as if it was timed right included banging the bars! Luckily I got to enjoy this in person. Anyone with Schriebers book will remember the Union 76 balls side by side! Great action for the masses. The original Endurocross?
I sure wish trials had been on my radar back then; I was down there for most of the early '80's bike weeks. Hannah, Bailey and O'Mara had my attention instead.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:57 AM   #42
2feetdown OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Looks like we havesome ideas as to promote the sport. But im wondering at least for myself if grass roots local ideas are the best. I went to a national in 1978 to watch the parking lot was full of old pickups passenger cars with trailers tents and even a bike or two torn down in a vw bug. Now they are full with large rvs and buses prettied up bikes with new mich lite tires ect. On the Regional level if you dont make almost every event no time for work funerals weddings injuries sickness, its who ever has the time and money to attend with much less to do with rider ability.

When i go somewhere to ride with my with my bike in my truck or on a open trailer i usually get asked about trials along the way. If I can spend my time and money helping someone get started at home maybe I can do more to help the sport than going on the road and maybe even have a little money to throw in to help some up and coming young rider who dad and mom dont have the bucks to do it.

I can get awful lazy I have enough riding here at home to keep 100 bikes busy for 25 years right in my back yard dont even have to load my bike. We have 3 to 6 who take time for work family outings funerals weddings ect as good areas grow up unattended. I need to and am going to try to load up drive 60 miles to the national Forrest a few times to meet some possible new riders as Ive gotten to lazy in the last couple of years and have failed to do that.
I dont think there is one answer but if everybody works at what works for them and discusses what works for them there may be a trials revival coming as ive spent the last 10 years trying to build up the sport with limited success so any ideas is helpful.
2feetdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #43
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2feetdown View Post
I went to a national in 1978 to watch the parking lot was full of old pickups passenger cars with trailers tents and even a bike or two torn down in a vw bug. Now they are full with large rvs and buses prettied up bikes with new mich lite tires ect.
I think we are generally less tough than back then and have higher expectations. Perhaps some don't ride because they feel they need such things?

Some of me is still in that older, simpler world. I do not own an RV. My truck has 180,000 miles and counting. I ride in dirty shorts and it took me 12 years to buy a new helmet.

But maybe if I did have something to stay in I'd drive farther to events? If I did, however, it would be light and simple.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #44
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura0107 View Post
I sure wish trials had been on my radar back then; I was down there for most of the early '80's bike weeks. Hannah, Bailey and O'Mara had my attention instead.
Used to live in Irmo, SC, `1990. I'd ride by myself in the midlands. Not safe but I had no choice. Hoping there are more trials riders in SC now.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:13 PM   #45
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
I ride in dirty shorts
TMI dude, way TMI.