Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2014, 07:38 AM   #16
manco
****** & Deleted

Oddometer: 52
Your video came out great. I wish all of my vids had the camera angle yours does. Some of mine are all right but for several I pretty much filmed the sun.

In your video watching you spin through the switchbacks had me on the edge of my seat reliving my own decent. This section of road was easily one of the hairiest roads I have ever ridden. The exposure alone is enough to bring nausea into the stomach of a hardened rider. I actually unintentionally drifted one of the upper corners and came close to puking in my helmet for a moment. It wasn't even a fast drift. The rear wheel just came loose for 1/2 a turn and my bike started to slide towards one of the 1000 foot drop offs. I had no issue correcting the drift but still it was probably the most serious reality check I have ever had while riding.

Thinking back on this road I think I would prefer to climb it next time rather then descend it. Having torque pushing the rear wheel would be more fun then using torque to brake the rear wheel. Things can get sketchy quick if a rear wheel is over braked during descent on this kind of a road. I would imagine this would be more true the heavier the curb weight of the bike. Going up however torque should hold the rear wheel firmer to the ground especially in the more nauseating corners.

manco screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 07:39 AM Reason: spelling/grammar
manco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #17
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,113
I lived in central Wyoming for many years and was only 8 hours away from the Moab area, so got down there many times on bicycles and motorcycles. There is no other place like it, to my knowledge, just an amazing place to ride. There is NOTHING remotely like it in the area I live now, sad to say. I enjoyed the photos but I live out in the boonies at the very limit of DSL internet service, so I'll have to watch your videos from work . Maybe this is old stuff for you, but next time you're filming, try pointing your GoPro backwards and film your buddies as they follow you. I've done this while skiing and it's a great viewpoint, but it does take some fiddling to get it set up right so you don't just film the sky most of the time.

We did a trip around the White Rim Trail once with about a dozen bicyclists supported by two 4X4 vehicles, camped two nights and rode three days, in late November near Thanksgiving. One night we roasted a turkey in a fire pit under the most amazing stars I've ever seen (and I was from Wyoming where the night sky is outstanding!). On our last night out we camped at the base of the dugway leading from the Green River up to the rim and highway back to the Island In The Sky visitor center where our cars were parked. A friend and I had gotten a ways ahead of the group and were sitting on some rocks at the Labyrinth Campground about dusk waiting for them to show up when a solo bicyclist came pedaling up. He stopped and yakked for a while and it turns out he was riding the entire WRT alone, in one day, to celebrate his 54th birthday. He had a couple of water bottles and a few Power Bars with him and that was about it. We offered him extra food and water and he said no, he was fine, thanks. I said Holy Shite, Superman, where's your cape? He said the damned thing kept getting caught up in his spokes so he left it at home most of the time . We rode ~110 miles in three long hard days of cycling and that guy ran it alone in one day, la la. That climb out of the Green River on Horse Thief Trail/Mineral Canyon Road and back to the visitors center the next morning was brutal, but I kept thinking if that fooker could do it at the end of his solo ride, in the dark, then WTF did I have to complain about? What an animal.

I've ridden a lot of the Moab area on motorcycles and bicycles and I liked bicycles better, but I think that's just because you get a better feel for how remote and rugged it really is when it's one Dougpower versus many horsepower. It's just an outstanding place to ride no matter what you're mounted on and it should be on everyone's "must do" list. Thanks for the excellent report and spin down memory lane!

Doug
Old 04-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #18
Arzach
never too old...

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACINGTHESUN View Post
This if my first real crack at a ride report. I messed around a little bit before, but am still new at this. So, please have a little patience. Hopefully, you are not bored to tears, and realize this is a work in progress.

Recently a few of us guys from our meetup group, Front Range Dual Sport Riders, based out of Colorado, went to Moab, Ut for a week of fun in the sun.

I am the organizer of the group and go by flatironrider on that site, but am obviously racingthesun on here.

I plan on having a lot of gopro video on this thread in the near future. The video has to be edited somewhat to clean up the potty mouthed language of voices on the video (mainly mine) a little. Of course there will be lots of pics also.

It was hard for me to decide to have this report in the regular RR area or Day Trippin. The trip lasted over a week, but we went back to the same basecamp every night, so I decided it would be best to go in the day trippin section.

Expect to have much pics and video in a day or so, and hope you enjoy it. Stay tuned.....
[IMG] photo IMG_2074_zpsb7f37c52.jpg[/IMG]

I just came upon your ride report .We were at the same time and same campground than you guys .I had a 690 with a rally kit and my buddy was riding my old 450 exc .It looks like you had as good of a time as we did .For me it was the third time around and I am always ready to go back .
for info I did a short photo report in the Regional forum (PNW)
Old 04-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #19
CatFlap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Nice. One of these days I need to get down there.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #20
RACINGTHESUN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Thanks for reading Doug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
I lived in central Wyoming for many years and was only 8 hours away from the Moab area, so got down there many times on bicycles and motorcycles. There is no other place like it, to my knowledge, just an amazing place to ride. There is NOTHING remotely like it in the area I live now, sad to say. I enjoyed the photos but I live out in the boonies at the very limit of DSL internet service, so I'll have to watch your videos from work . Maybe this is old stuff for you, but next time you're filming, try pointing your GoPro backwards and film your buddies as they follow you. I've done this while skiing and it's a great viewpoint, but it does take some fiddling to get it set up right so you don't just film the sky most of the time.

We did a trip around the White Rim Trail once with about a dozen bicyclists supported by two 4X4 vehicles, camped two nights and rode three days, in late November near Thanksgiving. One night we roasted a turkey in a fire pit under the most amazing stars I've ever seen (and I was from Wyoming where the night sky is outstanding!). On our last night out we camped at the base of the dugway leading from the Green River up to the rim and highway back to the Island In The Sky visitor center where our cars were parked. A friend and I had gotten a ways ahead of the group and were sitting on some rocks at the Labyrinth Campground about dusk waiting for them to show up when a solo bicyclist came pedaling up. He stopped and yakked for a while and it turns out he was riding the entire WRT alone, in one day, to celebrate his 54th birthday. He had a couple of water bottles and a few Power Bars with him and that was about it. We offered him extra food and water and he said no, he was fine, thanks. I said Holy Shite, Superman, where's your cape? He said the damned thing kept getting caught up in his spokes so he left it at home most of the time . We rode ~110 miles in three long hard days of cycling and that guy ran it alone in one day, la la. That climb out of the Green River on Horse Thief Trail/Mineral Canyon Road and back to the visitors center the next morning was brutal, but I kept thinking if that fooker could do it at the end of his solo ride, in the dark, then WTF did I have to complain about? What an animal.

I've ridden a lot of the Moab area on motorcycles and bicycles and I liked bicycles better, but I think that's just because you get a better feel for how remote and rugged it really is when it's one Dougpower versus many horsepower. It's just an outstanding place to ride no matter what you're mounted on and it should be on everyone's "must do" list. Thanks for the excellent report and spin down memory lane!

Doug
The problem with me filming backwards is, all you will see is dust because all the riders are so far ahead of me that you can't eve see their dust trails.
Once upon a time I was a bicycle cop. We had speedometers on our Raleigh
mountain bikes and would average about 117 miles in a 12 hour shift. Keep in mind it was large part on pavement, and no hills whatsoever, but I could see somebody doing the the WRT in a single day. I couldn't see me doing it, but I could see somebody who is into cycling serious doing it. At age 54, that is quite an accomplishment though. From one Doug to another Doug, I totally agree with you on being an outstanding place to ride!
RACINGTHESUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #21
RACINGTHESUN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arzach View Post
I just came upon your ride report .We were at the same time and same campground than you guys .I had a 690 with a rally kit and my buddy was riding my old 450 exc .It looks like you had as good of a time as we did .For me it was the third time around and I am always ready to go back .
for info I did a short photo report in the Regional forum (PNW)
Right on, I will have to check it out.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:49 AM   #22
manco
****** & Deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arzach View Post
...We were at the same time and same campground than you guys .I had a 690 with a rally kit and my buddy was riding my old 450 exc... (PNW)
I am pretty sure I saw you guys spinning around the camp or at least your bikes. I remember checking out some KTMs including one that had some sweet RallyCross tires I would love to get a set of. Glad you guys had a good time too.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:03 PM   #23
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
The problem with me filming backwards is, all you will see is dust because all the riders are so far ahead of me that you can't eve see their dust trails.
Once upon a time I was a bicycle cop. We had speedometers on our Raleigh
mountain bikes and would average about 117 miles in a 12 hour shift. Keep in mind it was large part on pavement, and no hills whatsoever, but I could see somebody doing the the WRT in a single day. I couldn't see me doing it, but I could see somebody who is into cycling serious doing it. At age 54, that is quite an accomplishment though. From one Doug to another Doug, I totally agree with you on being an outstanding place to ride!
Wow, that's some serious mileage on your cop bicycle! I had no idea bike cops rolled that far in a day, that's impressive. I'm a mad dog for bicycling and ride the hills and mountains of Virginia all the time on my cyclocross bike, but 110 miles of WRT on fat tires is a whole different animal from flat pavement. I'm pushing 57 now and one Dougpower ain't what it used to be , but I still love the sport as much as I love motorcycling. Some day I'll get back out to Moab and hopefully test out my WR250R where I've ridden all kinds of other bikes. I love that thing but it's difficult to find challenging terrain for it here in Virginia - the roads are all nicely groomed gravel or asphalt. The street riding is phenomenal - we live ~20 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway and that's just the tip of the iceberg around here. I did find one cool challenging section of road near my home:

Kind of the other side of the coin from Moab, eh? Thanks again for sharing your trip, Doug.

Doug
Old 04-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #24
RACINGTHESUN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Did it for years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
Wow, that's some serious mileage on your cop bicycle! I had no idea bike cops rolled that far in a day, that's impressive. I'm a mad dog for bicycling and ride the hills and mountains of Virginia all the time on my cyclocross bike, but 110 miles of WRT on fat tires is a whole different animal from flat pavement. I'm pushing 57 now and one Dougpower ain't what it used to be , but I still love the sport as much as I love motorcycling. Some day I'll get back out to Moab and hopefully test out my WR250R where I've ridden all kinds of other bikes. I love that thing but it's difficult to find challenging terrain for it here in Virginia - the roads are all nicely groomed gravel or asphalt. The street riding is phenomenal - we live ~20 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway and that's just the tip of the iceberg around here. I did find one cool challenging section of road near my home:

Kind of the other side of the coin from Moab, eh? Thanks again for sharing your trip, Doug.

Doug
Did the bycycle cop thing for quite a while. It was kind of a treat to be able to do it. A break from the patrol car. They are mostly for public relations. I did get to take out a guy running away with the whole rear tire slide thing once, that was really cool. The one incident that comes to mind is one night my partner and I saw this teenager (at least he appeared to be one) behind a housing area late at night. We did a voice challenge on the kid and he took off on his bike through the sand, and the grass and the woods. We chased him for miles through the woods, but he just left us in the dust. We both ended up wiping out on a log and laughed so hard we couldn't stand up and said, damn I need a cigarette. Never did know what the kid was doing but he sure did leave us late 20's smoking and drinking cops in the dust. We always did bike safety at the local school for the grade school age kids, and joked after we should do the dangers of smoking. Never will forget that, and it still makes me laugh to this day
Old 04-19-2014, 11:17 AM   #25
RACINGTHESUN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

More April 7, 2014 WRT video

Sorry about the delay guys and gals, but I have been pretty busy and lazy lately.

So while riding the WRT Paul had his fender rack hit pretty hard when his shock bottomed out, Hope I am telling this story right. Hopefully, Paul (Manco) will join in to tell the story better and post better pics. Well, he hit hard and broke the hell out of his rack and even damaged his license plate. He decided it would be best to head back to camp and call it a day.

Here is another video...
Old 04-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #26
RACINGTHESUN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Some more pictures from WRT

Jim
[IMG] photo 20140407_140327_zps0cbd5421.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] photo 20140407_174330_zps40d565e8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] photo 20140407_172525_zpsda547759.jpg[/IMG]

I find that hockey practice jerseys are a cheap alternative to MX riding hear. The armor fits underneath no problem. Only about $9-12 on Amazon. They breathe nicely and keep you cool when it gets hot.
[IMG] photo 20140407_174422_zpsff78fa1b.jpg[/IMG]
That picture was taken on the road climbing out of the Green River portion of the WRT. The road is extremely steep with switchbacks and is covered with tiny little round gravel. To me it was the scariest part of the whole WRT and technically was really not part of the WRT. Jim and I asked what the hell where they thinking putting that kind of gravel on such a road?!
After getting to the pavement we were still about 12 miles or so from camp. Jim had a sprocket that would only allow him to go 45 mph top speed on his moto. My moto would still go 65 with the sixth gear even with the 52 tooth rear sprocket. I felt obligated to ride slow with him because he waited for me on the technical stuff all day long, and had after all saved my life the day before on the slick rock trail! Unfortunately, that feeling of obligation waned, and I had already downed my first beer before he got back to camp He understood, I can't ride that slow!

More WRT video

RACINGTHESUN screwed with this post 04-19-2014 at 04:21 PM
Old 04-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #27
RACINGTHESUN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tuesday April 8th, 2014, Lockhart Basin!

I can't even begin to tell you how much I have wanted to ride Lockhart Basin. That was without a doubt one of the must do roads/trails for the trip to Moab. Manco decided with his moto problems (I think he just wanted to work on his moto) that he would sit out the Lockhart Basin road. Jim and I wouldn't miss it for the World though. So early on the 8th I rode the 9 miles from my camp South on 191 to McDonald's in Moab to meet Jim and his wife Lisa. Jim and Lisa are just super nice people. They strike me as the kind of folks who would go out of their way to help somebody in need, even a total stranger. I am usually a pretty good judge of character, so I am sticking with my feelings about Jim and Lisa.

We had decided to trailer the motos with Jim's vehicle down to the start of the Lockhart Basin road. I had read that the road is way easier riding from South to North on that road. Boy were they ever right.

Saw another place on the way down to the start of the road that I have wanted to see forever and a day. Newspaper Rock The sign that is at the National Historic Site says that the petroglyphs were all done before 1300 A.D. However, you can clearly see that more than one carving has a figure riding a horse. What the heck? The Spanish didn't reintroduce the horse to North America until the 1500's. I had brought that fact up before on this site, and was told the carvings were actually through the 1700's. Somebody, one of the so called experts, should probably fix the sign in the park. It kind of makes them seem not so smart.

[IMG] photo 20140408_101813_zps572d22d0.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo 20140408_101820_zps2e498d0f.jpg[/IMG]

Pretty soon we all arrived at the start of the road and Jim and I unloaded and were on our way up Lockhart Road to the basin. I know we passed right under the needles overlook, but I never saw where exactly when we did pass under it.
[IMG] photo IMG_2105_zpsa4d9d6ce.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo 20140408_131306_zpsf011b953.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo IMG_2106_zpsa5ad5600.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo 20140408_131310_zps017f545d.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo 20140408_131313_zpsd2c42eb4.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo 20140408_131317_zpsb23edf7c.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo 20140408_131321_zpsb974d32d.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo 20140408_142617_zps244b8168.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo 20140408_142620_zpsbc37473f.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo 20140408_142623_zps0f9c37be.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo 20140408_142627_zpse725e62a.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo 20140408_142631_zps39e3e558.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo 20140408_142852_zpsa17750c1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo 20140408_143129_zpsd5dea40a.jpg[/IMG]

While on the road we saw some riders from a meetup riding group out of Illinois. A couple of the guys were named Dan and Jim and were staying in the very next camp site next to Manco and I. Jim stopped me as we were starting Lockhart. They had ridden North to South, and had left around 9am. It was only 1130am, and that is a testament as to how great they could ride. Sorry I don't have any picutures of those guys. One of the videos has one of the guys from that group on a giant KTM. He had lost a bungy cord. I just can't believe he had ridden that road on that humongous moto. Now that I think about it the Big and Little Wan rode Lockhart two up the schoolbus. Like Garth and Wayne would say, I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy. Wow! You just have to see how big some of the obstacles are on the road, and then you will understand. Just glad Jim and I rode it from South to North, it was much easier, and I only had to be helped on one of the obstacles. Like some one of the guys from the Illinois group said, you are a good rider, but you lack confidence. I agree, it hasn't been that long since my last broken bones, and it totally makes me lack confidence going over the huge obstacles. The very end of the road is in my opinion the hardest part. Going North or South will test the unskilled rider.
After Lockhart we went to chicken corners, onto Kane Springs road into Moab. We saw some more petroglyphs on the canyon wall right where the pavement started.
[IMG] photo 20140408_152129_zpsfbb697bc.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo 20140408_152117_zps0abdd90f.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo 20140408_152119_zpsa0213d23.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo 20140408_152125_zpsa5976afa.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo 20140408_172946_zpsfd08be8e.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo 20140408_170219_zps8a467308.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo 20140408_170241_zps16ddbaf6.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo 20140408_172950_zps75c9b7fb.jpg[/IMG]

RACINGTHESUN screwed with this post 04-19-2014 at 06:09 PM
Old 04-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #28
RACINGTHESUN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Carnage in Moab

Ok, I asked manco to tell what happened on the way back from the WRT. That is part of the reason why this trip was named "Carnage in Moab". You will have to wait for the rest of the reason why it was called that. Maybe a day or so the RR will be done. The videos take forever to be processed and uploaded.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #29
RACINGTHESUN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Lockhart Basin, Chicken Corner, Kane Springs Rd

Here is a compilation of the whole days ride. It is quite long but full of beautiful scenery. I just wish you could tell how big something is in a video or picture.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:25 AM   #30
manco
****** & Deleted

Quote:
Ok, I asked manco to tell what happened on the way back from the WRT. That is part of the reason why this trip was named "Carnage in Moab". You will have to wait for the rest of the reason why it was called that. Maybe a day or so the RR will be done. The videos take forever to be processed and uploaded.
Well I was hoping to get more together but I am still beat down from the trip. Here is a bit more details about the WRT for now. It may take a bit but more will be coming eventually.

The incident mentioned about my rack was pretty crazy. I overloaded the little bigger and ended up breaking the rear bracket of the rack in a big whoop section. When the rack broke the front brackets were solid as was the strapped down load. Thing of it is the brackets that held allowed the rack and load to swing front to back. Whenever the rack swung back the load pushed my licence plate into the travel path of the rear wheel. So for about a mile before I realized my rack was loose whenever I hit a big whoop the rack would swing back and crrrrzzzcht my licence plate got mangled. I thought I had blown a shock or something. Shortly there after I stopped and discovered the damage.

While the load was strappable I just decided to pull out of the ride. I pretty much enjoy riding like the Devil is on my heels so unless my bike is 100% I don't enjoy risking things. I had pretty much seen what the WRT was about by then anyhoo. There was a road straight back to Moab from where we were so I took that back to Moab.

On the way back I got to enjoying drifting corners a little too much. I ended up sliding out on one. It was a sketchy crash. I stayed calm and the bike performed well. Pretty much at about 55-60mph I intentionally put the bike on its side and slid to a stop instead of loosing complete control. Not much happened to me or the bike. I nabbed a few bruises and the licence plate got mangled more on the bike. Finally I got back to Moab and ran around getting a few things to rebuild my rack.

The next day I hung out around camp fiddling with my bike and resting. I also swung through town again and ate my weight in pizza at Zach's. I was calorie starved from all the riding in the previous days so the "all you can eat" pizza special is what I went for. A week in the desert is a long time to be riding. Taking a day in off in the middle was a nice break.