ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 12:47 AM   #76
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 39,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismedlock View Post
It really was a great race, with lots of action. Even the commentators got excited with all the passing going on. I like having PT in the booth.

I'm especially delighted by the fact that the big teams are not dominating the podium. New names and faces are good for the sport, and it's also good to have JPM back in the fold.

The accident that too out HCN was just one of those things that happen in racing. I don't think that he or Bourdais was "at fault". Bourdais understands it, Helio doesn't see it that way.
Nope-- Helio seems to expect "polite" -- oh you moved over, I'll just let you back into the line. Not Bourdais fault, and I don't hugely fault Helio. One of those "that's racing" things.

Great fun for fourth place back. That rookie holding off JPM was really fun. I'm sure I'm not the only one expecting a crash but that all three cars involved could do so much so close made for exciting viewing.

Yep, I like the mix of names I know and new faces.
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #77
wxwax OP
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 73,758
I only caught part of the second race because I'm spending so much time on the World Cup. Although I dislike street courses, the one in Houston seems to produce some pretty good racing.

I can see the business sense in scheduling two races for the cost of one road trip. I wonder if it makes sense from a ticket sales and TV ratings point of view?
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #78
ADK
_____
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Oddometer: 8,116
Roger Penske to the white courtesy phone ...
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #79
green hell
yawning or snarling
 
green hell's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: caro, michigan
Oddometer: 19,922
good race at pocono today. it was fun to see jpm win, even if i'm not a penske fan. power can't seem to help himself; his dust up with castroneves will certainly be frowned on with the team. his demeanor changed pretty damn quickly when he watched that incident during his interview.
__________________
lookin' for a place to happen;
makin' stops along the way - the tragically hip

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #80
wxwax OP
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 73,758
Jack Hawksworth is an English rookie driver who has shown real talent. At Pocono this weekend, he learned that ovals bite. You can see him struggle out of the car. He has a bruised heart muscle. Yikes.


__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #81
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 39,537
As I've said before I'm buying back into IndyCar. I think they have a good mix of drivers (on TV, pre-race most seem actually likable unlike F1) - I like open wheel- but watched today. Ovals just do nothing for me.
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports

Jurgen screwed with this post 07-06-2014 at 08:41 PM
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #82
wxwax OP
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 73,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell View Post
good race at pocono today. it was fun to see jpm win, even if i'm not a penske fan. power can't seem to help himself; his dust up with castroneves will certainly be frowned on with the team. his demeanor changed pretty damn quickly when he watched that incident during his interview.
I'm not a fan of Montoya, but that was a sweet drive.

Will Power is a prick. He made a questionable move on Montoya. Then he was really blatant with Castroneves. I'm glad the stewards made him pay for it.

Happy for Newgarden. And Bob Varsha!
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:10 PM   #83
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 39,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I'm not a fan of Montoya, but that was a sweet drive.

Will Power is a prick. He made a questionable move on Montoya. Then he was really blatant with Castroneves. I'm glad the stewards made him pay for it.

Happy for Newgarden. And Bob Varsha!


I was pulling for Tony Kanaan. I haven't followed closely enough in the past to "know" him well. But I like how he handled being wrecked twice--and being damn pissed last races.

Hinchcliff seems like a pretty good guy. "Don't wreck" -----And I also like Pagenaud. Much more likable than that other French guy.
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #84
green hell
yawning or snarling
 
green hell's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: caro, michigan
Oddometer: 19,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post


I was pulling for Tony Kanaan. I haven't followed closely enough in the past to "know" him well. But I like how he handled being wrecked twice--and being damn pissed last races.

Hinchcliff seems like a pretty good guy. "Don't wreck" -----And I also like Pagenaud. Much more likable than that other French guy.

sebastian bourdais always struck me as a bit of a douche from the champcar days, but now that he's suffered from substandard hardware in f1 & indycar he's gotten quite a bit more tolerable & less full of himself.

and paul tracey's booth performance has softened my opinion of him too.

or maybe it's just old age on my part.

__________________
lookin' for a place to happen;
makin' stops along the way - the tragically hip

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #85
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 39,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell View Post
sebastian bourdais always struck me as a bit of a douche from the champcar days, but now that he's suffered from substandard hardware in f1 & indycar he's gotten quite a bit more tolerable & less full of himself.

and paul tracey's booth performance has softened my opinion of him too.

or maybe it's just old age on my part.

Yeah, I do like Sebastion version iii better. Actually he was one of the more "likeable" guys in F1. -- But that's not hard.
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #86
green hell
yawning or snarling
 
green hell's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: caro, michigan
Oddometer: 19,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
Yeah, I do like Sebastion version iii better. Actually he was one of the more "likeable" guys in F1. -- But that's not hard.

the leper with the most fingers?

__________________
lookin' for a place to happen;
makin' stops along the way - the tragically hip

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #87
Bug Dr.
Extroverted Loner
 
Bug Dr.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Southern Ozarks
Oddometer: 238
I will admit to coming back to Indy cars too. I first went to the Indy 500 in 1993 or 94 when Little Al, PT and Emo were driving for Penske. It was a great sport before Tony George tried to kill it......and damn near succeeded.

I have really enjoyed the racing quality this year and it is good to see some of the old names back at the front. I agree with PT though, the series needs a new marketing and promotion department to get more fans in the seats.

I'm strongly considering riding to a few events next year and camping at the track where possible. Tickets should be easy to get, unfortunately or fortunately.
Mike
__________________
Those who dance are considered insane by those that can't hear the music - George Carlin
Bug Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #88
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 39,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Dr. View Post
I will admit to coming back to Indy cars too. I first went to the Indy 500 in 1993 or 94 when Little Al, PT and Emo were driving for Penske. It was a great sport before Tony George tried to kill it......and damn near succeeded.

I have really enjoyed the racing quality this year and it is good to see some of the old names back at the front. I agree with PT though, the series needs a new marketing and promotion department to get more fans in the seats.

I'm strongly considering riding to a few events next year and camping at the track where possible. Tickets should be easy to get, unfortunately or fortunately.
Mike
I like the idea of hitting one or two next year too.

But, will admit at this point it is more good intention than real thought.
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #89
lewismedlock
.
 
lewismedlock's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Bow and Arrow OK.
Oddometer: 12,811
I'd also like to see a race or two next year. I was getting into the habit of going to Texas. I know, it's an oval. But damn! the cars are so fast, it's incredible to watch. And, you can see the whole track from any seat. But for the last 4 years the race has conflicted with my job with Leake Car Auctions.

I'll be pulling for TK tonight.
__________________


lewismedlock screwed with this post 07-12-2014 at 05:12 PM
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #90
lewismedlock
.
 
lewismedlock's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Bow and Arrow OK.
Oddometer: 12,811
Carpenter needs to sit out a race for wrecking Montoya.
__________________

lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014