Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Front brake

I wonder if he used his front brake.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #17
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,347
Anybody heard how he is doing? He stated in his post that he was seeing ortho doc on Wed.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:52 AM   #18
GR8ADV
Pow right in the kisser

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbalt View Post
Likely as his right foot came down very very early.

It's All BS Til' the Nanny Posts
GR8ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:49 AM   #19
Blur OP
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbalt View Post
Yes, I used my front brake. There's nothing wrong with using the front brake as long as it's used properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeSux View Post
Anybody heard how he is doing? He stated in his post that he was seeing ortho doc on Wed.
Thanks for your concern! I'm actually doing very well as I'm in very little pain. My ribs feel worse than my collarbone.

When I met with my ortho doc (an excellent doc whom I trust very much), he recommended surgery based on the X-rays from Sunday.....

He ordered another 2 X-rays Wednesday and we were all surprised at the difference....

We decided to give it another 10 days or so and have another X-ray done on the 28th. We'll decide on surgery based on what we see and how I feel then.

In case you're interested, I thought I would include some other information surrounding the circumstances. The fall actually occurred on my second attempt to brake. During my first attempt, I pulled the front brake lever and felt no sensation of slowing whatsoever. Considering the speed and the fast-approaching curve, I didn't have a lot of time to thoroughly analyze the situation. When I realized I wasn't slowing, I released the brake lever fully and reapplied. At that point, I had even less distance to slow, my attention moved from my riding line to my brakes. I'm convinced that if the brakes had worked as I expected, I would not have wrecked. Instead, it would've been just another one of the bajillion curves I've ridden through.

In an attempt to let those reading this thread know my riding background...
I've been riding 25+ years.
MSF instructor for 12 years.
Trained as a MSF teaching auditor.
Riding coach at the BMW Performance center from 2010-2012.
I've taught at least 1400 people over the years.
And yes, I'm an adrenaline junkie.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:17 AM   #20
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
....Charlie Mike = Continue Mission....as in carry on, or in a nasal British accent, "As you were Guv'ner"
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:32 AM   #21
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
Yes, I used my front brake. There's nothing wrong with using the front brake as long as it's used properly.

Yep, I use it all the time off road......for clarification: only when riding perfectly upright(no lean), head & eyes straight ahead.

I wonder why your FB didn't work the first try?...wet? Could the FB have worked, but the front tire locked and slid?

Similar background as yours, & was an instructor for 9 years. Heck last year I went down on an approach to a turn on a forestry svc road(rough gravel) slight up-hill grade, 15-20mph & decelerating. No lean, no ruts, no FB. Handlebars snapped left & I went down on the right side...it was quick. Best guess was poor surface appraisal on my part...had to have run over a good sized rock. Checked tire pressure later and my front only had 7lbs in it(Dunlop 606's)....another operator error. Nothing hurt but pride though & I managed to get back up and going before the rest of the guys caught me....but that big tuft of dirt & grass stuck in my visor kinda gave me away.
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #22
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
During my first attempt, I pulled the front brake lever and felt no sensation of slowing whatsoever.
ABS?

On or off?
mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #23
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 749
Blur,
Been there done that, I'm not here to criticize your riding.
I broke my collarbone last year, and some ribs, in a nasty crash. You're in for about 8 weeks of recovery bro. I would get the surgery as it will make sure your collar bone is lined up correctly, as well as your back and everything else. You'll probably need to get some physical therapy after it all heals up, as the shoulder tends to lock up with adhesive capsulitis from having it in a sling, and immobilized for a long time. Watch the intake of the OxyContin etc, as it can back your system up. The ribs will heal with time. Also, get used to sleeping on one side or your back as you can forget sleeping on the side that is broken.
As for the fluid on the hip, I had that as well, big time. My orthopedic surgeon didn't want to touch it, and it got to the point I couldn't take it anymore. It may go away, it may not. If not, and interventional radiologist can drain it for you - you may have to have it done a time or two. Wear tight fitting bike pants to help force the fluid out. Basically what happened is that you've probably sheared the flesh away from the muscle, and that cavity fills with fluid.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Heal up, take it easy.

Good luck.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #24
Blur OP
Screwed and stapled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Yep, I use it all the time off road......for clarification: only when riding perfectly upright(no lean), head & eyes straight ahead.

I wonder why your FB didn't work the first try?....
I have no idea why the FB didn't work the first time. A friend of mine who is in the fortunate position of getting to ride these awesome wetheads called me to see I was doing. After I described my injuries, he asked how it happened. I started to tell my story and just before I got to the FB failure, he interrupted and said "I know what you're going to say but tell me anyway" when I told him the FB didn't work on the first attempt he said "yep, it's happened to me on 4 or 5 occasions" He went on to say that he always rides in open areas and has always been able to stop without it becoming a problem.

I'm taking the bike to a local dealer Tuesday. The manufacturer is sending an investigator down to try and figure out what happened.

I've always been a huge supporter of the marque and I want to help anyway I can to try and head off what potentially could be a big problem for me and others in the future. I want to have confidence in my bike!!

Unfortunately, I'm not expecting them to find a problem. I've got 5000 miles on the bike and this is the only time it's happened. That said, a braking system that works 99.99% of the time isn't good enough.

----- MR.TWISTY -----
Can you recall what I first told you about how this a happened when we met please? I would appreciate you writing down what you remember about how all this happened. The two guys I was riding with have both told me they remember me saying my front brake didn't work on the first attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
ABS?

On or off?
ABS was off. However, after hearing the experiences of my friend and after experiencing the problem myself (and having a week to think about it), I think it was the abs system that didn't allow the FB to pressurize initially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Blur,
Been there done that, I'm not here to criticize your riding.
I broke my collarbone last year, and some ribs, in a nasty crash. You're in for about 8 weeks of recovery bro. I would get the surgery as it will make sure your collar bone is lined up correctly, as well as your back and everything else. You'll probably need to get some physical therapy after it all heals up, as the shoulder tends to lock up with adhesive capsulitis from having it in a sling, and immobilized for a long time. Watch the intake of the OxyContin etc, as it can back your system up. The ribs will heal with time. Also, get used to sleeping on one side or your back as you can forget sleeping on the side that is broken.
As for the fluid on the hip, I had that as well, big time. My orthopedic surgeon didn't want to touch it, and it got to the point I couldn't take it anymore. It may go away, it may not. If not, and interventional radiologist can drain it for you - you may have to have it done a time or two. Wear tight fitting bike pants to help force the fluid out. Basically what happened is that you've probably sheared the flesh away from the muscle, and that cavity fills with fluid.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Heal up, take it easy.

Good luck.
On the contrary!! Thank you for the Input!

I appreciate the advice on the surgery as well. I need to get fixed up quick! I got an event in Canada this September that I'm competing in. I'm on the USA GS Trophy team.

And to lighten the mood, here's the video of the single track we did earlier in the day, if you're interested :)

Trail 82 from James Bean on Vimeo.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:36 AM   #25
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,050
Blur - Your story hasn't changed. When I met you, you told me that your bike lost it's brakes, then when you reapplied the brakes they locked and you went down. Of course, I was thinking that you should have bought a Yamaha because their brakes always work, and so do their final drives.

Nice riding on Trail 82, BTW. I've seen guys on little bikes not do as well.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:40 AM   #26
Spacelord
Mutha Mutha

Oddometer: 809
Sorry to here Blur. Twisty has picked my bike up a few times also. He's handy to have around every now and then.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:41 AM   #27
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,670
Dang Blur, sorry about your "off"...did look painful. Impressive riding on 82. Rode the trail a few years back on my ST, had 2 mid 90's GS, and an R75/5. Went about half that speed, and 2 of us clipped the rocks and rolled over. Big fun!!! Hope you're back to 100% for the Trophy!!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:31 AM   #28
Blur OP
Screwed and stapled

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwisty View Post
Blur - Your story hasn't changed. When I met you, you told me that your bike lost it's brakes, then when you reapplied the brakes they locked and you went down. Of course, I was thinking that you should have bought a Yamaha because their brakes always work, and so do their final drives.

Nice riding on Trail 82, BTW. I've seen guys on little bikes not do as well.
Thanks, Twisty! Pain and trauma mixed with a few days of time has a way of letting doubt creep in. I appreciate you confirming what I thought I had told you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacelord View Post
Sorry to here Blur. Twisty has picked my bike up a few times also. He's handy to have around every now and then.
So you're saying I need to make sure he's in the invited list then, eh?

I think about him every time I get in the shower........... I'm still using the emergency arm sling he gave me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Dang Blur, sorry about your "off"...did look painful. Impressive riding on 82. Rode the trail a few years back on my ST, had 2 mid 90's GS, and an R75/5. Went about half that speed, and 2 of us clipped the rocks and rolled over. Big fun!!! Hope you're back to 100% for the Trophy!!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
I remember seeing that pic! I don't remember exactly what I posted about it..... I think I tried giving you kudos for riding the bike hard? The thread is archived on here somewhere....

Great memories motorcycling makes for all of us, eh? Sometimes making the memories isn't too fun but the stories we get to share with our friends later..... !
Old 04-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #29
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 749
Blur, it is obvious form your single track video that you know how to ride. But Holy shit man, you boys ride those GS's hard. You make it look like a friggin 2 stroke dirt bike.
Ride it like you stole it son!
Heal up.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:01 AM   #30
Blur OP
Screwed and stapled

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Blur, it is obvious form your single track video that you know how to ride. But Holy shit man, you boys ride those GS's hard. You make it look like a friggin 2 stroke dirt bike.
Ride it like you stole it son!
Heal up.
Thanks.

I love motorsickles and I love being around other people who love motorsickles