Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 07:10 AM   #31
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Blur, do you think this would have helped in the injury prevention dept?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281211899726...84.m1497.l2649

I picked one up before the March Moto Madness trip. It does make me feel like a over the hill ninja turtle, but I'm thinking it sure may help especially on the rocks. The collar bone bands are pretty thick & the 3XL fit me really good(6'4-230)....yep they run small.
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #32
Blur OP
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Blur, do you think this would have helped in the injury prevention dept?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281211899726...84.m1497.l2649

I picked one up before the March Moto Madness trip. It does make me feel like a over the hill ninja turtle, but I'm thinking it sure may help especially on the rocks. The collar bone bands are pretty thick & the 3XL fit me really good(6'4-230)....yep they run small.
Maybe but there's really no way to know. Injury prevention is hard to predict because the way we tumble in a fall is so hard to predict. Ultimately, the protection we wear is supposed to absorb or deflect the force of impact as much as possible. No protection is going to prevent all injuries 100% of the time.

My mantra has always been "cover your corners". By that, I mean ankle, knees, elbows and shoulders. These points should always be protected.
Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #33
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,105
Paging MrTwisty.....

We'll, my mantra had always been "wrap your willy before you get silly"...........oh wait, that's something else. Never mind.

Carry on.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #34
Blur OP
Screwed and stapled

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwisty View Post
We'll, my mantra had always been "wrap your willy before you get silly"...........oh wait, that's something else. Never mind.

Carry on.

Leatt doesn't make head braces that small
Old 04-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #35
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,300
Quote:
Blur - Your story hasn't changed. When I met you, you told me that your bike lost it's brakes, then when you reapplied the brakes they locked and you went down...........
Hey, Blur

hope you are healing. the internets been smoking a little since you earned so much free time

I spoke to Frijole on the sunday after your biff and he said that you had told him the same thing. Man, I hope that aint a "feature" on the wetheads.

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #36
Blur OP
Screwed and stapled

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiroux View Post
Hey, Blur

hope you are healing. the internets been smoking a little since you earned so much free time

I spoke to Frijole on the sunday after your biff and he said that you had told him the same thing. Man, I hope that aint a "feature" on the wetheads.
I called BMW roadside assistance this morning. A rollback came to my house to pick up my bike. I rode with the tow truck driver to the local dealership. The BMW field service engineer has already been in contact with the dealership. He asked them to hook it up to the computer and see what the computer logs contain.

I don't envy the engineer assigned to this. This is going to be like looking for a needle in a haystack. I have almost 5000 miles on the bike and the brake failure has happened once. Sucks that the one time the brakes didn't work as expected, I crashed.

At this point, I can't do anything but cross my fingers and hope they figure out what the hell is going on.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:13 AM   #37
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,105
If the computer logs data chronology, as I would expect, the failure data should be near the end of the data log, unless you've been out riding with that broken collar bone.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:04 AM   #38
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 883
Blur,
Is it possible you were in Enduro mode, instead of Enduro Pro?
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:08 AM   #39
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,931
Was at Tellico Grains Saturday morning. Sorry about taking the last blueberry scone....

Hope you heal up soon.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:20 AM   #40
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
I called BMW roadside assistance this morning. A rollback came to my house to pick up my bike. I rode with the tow truck driver to the local dealership. The BMW field service engineer has already been in contact with the dealership. He asked them to hook it up to the computer and see what the computer logs contain.

I don't envy the engineer assigned to this. This is going to be like looking for a needle in a haystack. I have almost 5000 miles on the bike and the brake failure has happened once. Sucks that the one time the brakes didn't work as expected, I crashed.

At this point, I can't do anything but cross my fingers and hope they figure out what the hell is going on.
It really almost sounds to me like the ABS wasn't actually off and as soon as you started braking from a relatively high speed on gravel, the wheels just kept turning like I would expect to happen trying to slow down going down a steep slope with ABS still on. That is not me doubting that you had turned ABS off, more so that it didn't actually turn off.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #41
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,773
I'm no expert in motorcycle ABS (never had one), but is it possible to become used to grabbing a handful with ABS on, then over doing it when ABS is off in emergency braking situations? It just sounds like the first attempt locked the front wheel right at the split second when traction went away.

Like I said, I'm no expert, just throwing out ideas in the hope that you will figure it out so you don't doubt your bike.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:28 AM   #42
Blur OP
Screwed and stapled

Quote:
If the computer logs data chronology, as I would expect, the failure data should be near the end of the data log, unless you've been out riding with that broken collar bone.
The only time the bike has been ridden since the crash was.... from the crash site to Tellico Grains (by Frijole, about 4 miles) and from my garage onto the rollback. The dealership exported the data Tuesday. I'm still waiting to hear from BMW's field engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Blur,
Is it possible you were in Enduro mode, instead of Enduro Pro?
The only options I have on my bike are heated grips, cruise, spoked wheels and ABS (of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Was at Tellico Grains Saturday morning. Sorry about taking the last blueberry scone....

Hope you heal up soon.
I got the last lemon scone And, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
It really almost sounds to me like the ABS wasn't actually off and as soon as you started braking from a relatively high speed on gravel, the wheels just kept turning like I would expect to happen trying to slow down going down a steep slope with ABS still on. That is not me doubting that you had turned ABS off, more so that it didn't actually turn off.
The ABS light was on (which is supposed to indicate that the ABS is off).

When ABS is turned on while on loose surfaces, there's a "chattering" that can be felt (and sometimes heard) when the ABS is doing its job. This chattering didn't occur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I'm no expert in motorcycle ABS (never had one), but is it possible to become used to grabbing a handful with ABS on, then over doing it when ABS is off in emergency braking situations? It just sounds like the first attempt locked the front wheel right at the split second when traction went away.

Like I said, I'm no expert, just throwing out ideas in the hope that you will figure it out so you don't doubt your bike.
When I pulled the front brake lever the first time, there was no sensation of slowing, no twisting of the handlebars (indicating lockup), no sound of lockup (like a scratchy rubbing sound), etc. There was just nothing on the first brake lever pull.

As mentioned previously, I have a friend who has experienced brake failure 4 or 5 times on the new wetheads models. I'm really looking forward to hearing from BMW.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:43 AM   #43
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
Quote:
As mentioned previously, I have a friend who has experienced brake failure 4 or 5 times on the new wetheads models. I'm really looking forward to hearing from BMW.
"Zee motorrad is perfect. Operator error on zee part of zee rider." - Don't be shocked if this is the response you get… ad nauseam. Hope you heal up quick Blur.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:52 AM   #44
Blur OP
Screwed and stapled

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
"Zee motorrad is perfect. Operator error on zee part of zee rider." - Don't be shocked if this is the response you get… ad nauseam. Hope you heal up quick Blur.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2014, 07:04 AM   #45
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
I can't believe its been been 16 posts and not one person has picked up on Blur saying this...

Quote:
I think about him every time I get in the shower...........

Opportunity, people. When it comes knocking, open the door!