Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
Jayrod1318 OP
Poster

Oddometer: 1,552
Yes, another Kitchen remodel thread

Getting there, I still think I'm a month or 2 out from demo. Need to expand kitchen and eating area, it was just fine for 2 now with 4 of us its a bit tight.

I have:
1. A plan

2. Appliances

3.Wood floor

Need:

1. cabinets

2. counters

3. Sink

4. Lighting

Cabinets, I'm heading to IKEA to check them out, I understand they are far cheaper than custom cabinets. I had 3 quotes now form local cab places and the big box stores and I still have sticker shock. I need to really try to slim this portion of the budget down. Custom cabinet quotes ranged from 12k-15k depending on options ect. Anyone use IKEA before? I have some their furniture and it has held up great. Lots of good experiences online.

Countertops, the wife wants Granite I've told her over and over its not in the budget, i plan on doing laminate, I really don't see what the big deal is. We have laminate now and it has held up just fine the last 10 years. I'm also looking at the counter tops from ikea, They have a alot of different options including a solid surface option that is budget friendly.

Long story short, I'm I an idiot to do an IKEA kitchen? Please keep in mind this is no fancy ass house, just a 70's tri-level...
Old 01-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
MikeinEugene
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,453
We redid our counter tops with granite tile a few years back when we found some clearance stuff that we liked. It was around $1/tile so pretty cheap overall. Seems like it was cheaper than formica but the laminate would likely go down faster in sheets than the 12" tiles I suppose
MikeinEugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:25 PM   #3
worldrider555
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Concrete countertops seem pretty cool and DIY with some practice
worldrider555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:32 AM   #4
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
It depends on the Ikea model. Some are poorly constructed pressed wood and others are better constructed. I like their designs and prices but everyone I know who has installed Ikea has had problems like broken cabinets and alignment issues.

I was told cabinets have insane markup. You might be able to negotiate a better deal or wait for a sale. I managed to get 25% off at Menards a few years ago for our last house.

I've been pricing out a redo of our kitchen. I have seen granite 50% off at Home Depot. You can also go directly to the cutter. A friend got granite for 1/3 the price offered at Lowes by contacting the cutter directly and transporting himself.

If you want to save money, and you have storage space, the best plan is to start accumulating materials over time. Rarely are all of the pieces on sale at the same time. One month it is cabinets and the next is countertops. This is to keep people coming into the store.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
Star-Bellied Sneetch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrider555 View Post
Concrete countertops seem pretty cool and DIY with some practice
I did it. Girlfriend and I both really like the countertops. It was fun.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:49 AM   #6
adiablolex
Lost again

Oddometer: 3,693
I've tried IKEA in a couple of instances where the budget was tight.
Overall quite pleased with the results and the components seem to withstand a good beating
Most of the cabinet lineups they sell come with good quality hardware and that's one of the factors for longevity.
If you assemble them like a normal case (use glue and care to make square) and install them properly, you shouldn't have alignment issues.
The doors they provide range in styles and prices but would prefer their real wood lines.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,179
We went to Lowe's for our cabinets. Made in Oregon and if I recall didn't break the bank. Well made. YMMV

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #8
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 5,019
I've done concrete countertops and like how they turned out. I have close to $1000 invested in tooling though. The GC that I now work under liked them enough to have me do up bids recently- we'll see if anyone bites.

To do them right is a LOT of work- don't let anyone tell you it's "easy."
adam_c_eckhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #9
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Bellied Sneetch View Post
I did it. Girlfriend and I both really like the countertops. It was fun.

Great idea, very economical, and can be customized to your imagination. The most expensive part of it for me was purchasing the melamine, as I did an inverted 2" pour for the kitchen tops.

I was inspired to do mine as a young whippersnapper about 20 years ago, before it was super swank, from an article I read in Fine Homebuilding Magazine. Saved us about 12K in the budget, and as sated above it was a very fun, learning experience.

More of a food shot but you get the idea.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:06 PM   #10
Jayrod1318 OP
Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha View Post

If you want to save money, and you have storage space, the best plan is to start accumulating materials over time. Rarely are all of the pieces on sale at the same time. One month it is cabinets and the next is countertops. This is to keep people coming into the store.
Yes, that's how I have the floor and appliances, black friday sales.

saved a couple grand on nice samsung appliances and about 1500 on the floor from lumber liquidators.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
Jayrod1318 OP
Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiablolex View Post
I've tried IKEA in a couple of instances where the budget was tight.
Overall quite pleased with the results and the components seem to withstand a good beating
Most of the cabinet lineups they sell come with good quality hardware and that's one of the factors for longevity.
If you assemble them like a normal case (use glue and care to make square) and install them properly, you shouldn't have alignment issues.
The doors they provide range in styles and prices but would prefer their real wood lines.

Did the IKEA thing today. $5,400 for a laminate/foil mdf door line and $6,800 for a solid wood shaker style with a laminate middle.

Unfortunately the soild wood is not in a color we like. (in fact there is not much selection here).

Overall the build quality is superb, as good or better than everything else we looked at. The boxes are very nicely made. the drawers are steel. All soft close. slides are quiet, and not hard to open. Lots of options for innards and enough hardware options to make the wife happy. I'm finding alot more positive reviews than negative online.

At this point it is pretty much decided we will be going this route, the price is a huge factor here. I'm somewhat concerned about the MDF doors.... But I'm reading it does not matter too much. For the price I think I'm sold. This also opens the budget up for other things like granite or other solid surface. I'm seeing some adverts for granite installed for $40 a foot. Which really makes the wife happy.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #12
ptero
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
2. counters
I 'did' my kitchen almost 10 years ago. The countertop people offered, among other things, a Laminate top, with a milled Corian edge. There was a fair range of colors available. There MIGHT have been a choice on the shape of the milled edge. Not sure about that part. It cost a little more than all Laminate, but was nowhere near the higher buck Corian and Granite tops.

Until then, I had only had Laminate tops and they all picked up a lot of edge damage and de-gluing. The Corian edge takes the constant touching, rubbing, and bumping even with belt buckles and such very well. It also sets back the edge of the laminate top enough that glued edge does not see much action.

So far, it still looks great.

Good luck.

edit: Just saw your new post. Cool. Granite! Hope that can come together for ya'. Take Care.

Ride Hard or Stay Home
ptero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:29 AM   #13
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,092
We did our kitchen because we had to (it was falling down around us) and with a very tight budget. Fortunately, one of my brothers is a custom cabinet builder who also does a lot of full kitchen remodels. His advice on countertops was to not write off granite due to cost until we checked around. He said the company he uses typically prices granite less than Corian and quartz.

He said that short of cheesy laminate from Home Depot we would probably be happiest with the cost of granite provided we could find the right company. It turns out a local company here mills granite on site and prices by the installed square foot rather than the slab. They resell all the scraps and bits in another lot as back splashes, soap dishes, etc. to keep the cost down.

So it turned out that most of the cost was actually in the edge treatment of the granite. By going with a simple rolled edge the cost of granite was actually the least expensive option we explored short of crap laminate on particle board. My brother ended up being absolutely correct about the cost. I am glad I listened to him for once because it really turned out well.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 01-27-2014 at 05:35 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:19 PM   #14
Jayrod1318 OP
Poster

Ok, decided against IKEA Cabs. Just couldn't do the foil doors. We worked closely with a local shop and are getting custom cabs for 2k more than ikea. I think this will be money well spent. We got to pick color. door style ect. and soft close.

Granite- Got a great deal. Carpet exchange (a big national flooring outfit) was running a home and garden show special of 37$ foot installed counters. We could'nt pass it up. The color choice was limited (as in 2). But the wife likes it. I believe it is santa cecila. Best part of this is the company we got a quote from here in town previous is doing all the work! Score!

Got moved out of the existing living room and most of the kitchen. Today pulled carpet and pad out it went ok i guess. Carpet installer double nailed the tack strip so it didn't come up very easy. Also staples from old carpet install were present as well. I pulled them all out. because (1) I'm putting wood down and (2) I have 2 little kids running around. I would feel terrible if they caught a toe on a staple. Also demoed front tile entry pad.

Feels good to get going. Here are some boring pics. I'm going to try to post along the way here, Not to entertain you FF but to help me out if I run into problems. Aside from doing some flooring as a teen, I've never worked in the remodel business or carpentry.

Cabinets from local custom shop are due at end of month, I got a lot of work to do.

Existing Galley Kitchen beyond existing walls

Next steps are to demo the closet, re-frame new closet & gyp board.

And my 1st question, or a bit of ADVice.

Current sub floor is nailed down to joists with regular ol nails. Floor is noisy and lots of nails loose. I know I have to add some screws, But how far do i go pulling the nails out? Just the loose ones? My flooring is soild hardwood I don't know if that matters.

Jayrod1318 screwed with this post 04-06-2014 at 09:29 PM
Jayrod1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #15
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 789
Pre-drill the hardwood and re-screw entire floor with deck screws (not drywall screws).
Pull loose nails or reset after new screws installed.

Be sure to treat/seal your Granite Counters.
Granite is actually soft and porous.
I prefer Quartz, tile or manufactured materials.

Instead of wood floors have you considered a floating laminate floor?
The high quality laminate looks like wood and wears like iron, stay away from Pergo and cheap stuff.
I used Manington Revolutions handscraped years ago in kitchen,dining.family and livingroom and really like it plus very easy to install.
Getting ready to remove carpet in hall and bedrooms and put laminate thruout.
Should be about $3.50 per sf. + pad and labor.
http://www.qualityflooring4less.com/...terscotch.html

Good luck with your project.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster screwed with this post 04-07-2014 at 12:31 AM
holckster is offline   Reply With Quote