eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #17
bwhip OP
Every ride a gift

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealart View Post
Thanks for the excellent post!

This makes me thing I need a better camera.

What did you use for these photos bwhip?
For a few of them, it was the iPhone 5S and my pocket Canon S100. Most were with my Canon 5D Mark III, with either a 16-35mm f/2.8 lens, or 85mm f/1.8 lens. I have a pretty big tank bag I carry the camera gear in.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #18
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,319
Good stuff

excellent route selections

The top of 72 (and 72 in general) is under rated
Old 04-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #19
Travism
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Already said, but amazing photos. Nice bike too! Looks like it was a ride to remember.

I'd love to hear a little about your shooting and post techniques. Your exposure on your subject AND the skies is excellent!
Travism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #20
txplants
Pastafarian

Oddometer: 258
Best I've ever seen!

Phenomenal photos, Bwhip! Seriously, down right inspirational. Thank you for taking the time to post them.
txplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #21
bwhip OP
Every ride a gift

Thanks very much, all! Really glad to hear you like the photos, that always makes me happy.

I took a bunch of pictures on a trip through much of the area (and more) in April of 2013, and posted a story and photos on my blog (before I knew about this great forum). You might enjoy those too! Epic Southern Utah Tour 2013
Old 04-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #22
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Good idea

And nice payoff. Thanks for the photos and inspiration. Bet you wouldn't take a thousand dollars for one of those days.
psmcd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #23
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,984
Wow, great pictures. Did you use HDR processing? I want to use HDR myself but I can't get the shake out of the the pictures even with a tripod.

DD
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #24
Jenn
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 704
Absolutely stunning photos! I want to go THERE!

I usually go to Oregon in the first week of July, but I'm going in September for a weeklong bicycle tour... so... what's Utah like in July? Too hot? Ok? Got a map?
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:16 PM   #25
bwhip OP
Every ride a gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travism View Post
Already said, but amazing photos. Nice bike too! Looks like it was a ride to remember.

I'd love to hear a little about your shooting and post techniques. Your exposure on your subject AND the skies is excellent!
Thanks very much! Definitely a ride to remember. I can't wait to get back there. The ultimate combination of amazing scenery and fun riding terrain.

I keep the DSLR in the tank bag along with an extra lens. It's not that much of a pain in the butt to access it, but enough so that it had better be a good shot if I'm going to stop, unplug from heater cable (when using it), take off gloves, pull off the helmet, open up the bag, dig out the camera, etc. For that reason I keep the S100 in my jacket pocket, or use the iPhone with an HDR app (usually ProHDR) for shots suited for an HDR process, when it's a quickie shot that I'm not 100% certain about. Sometimes I use the S100 or iPhone when I've parked in a vulnerable location and I have to work quickly before a semi hits me or the police come and write me up.

With the DSLR, I usually shoot in RAW format to retain as much data in the image as possible. Usually in aperture priority mode or manual. As you can see in the photos, sometimes I was trying to get maximum depth of field with the bike and background clearly in focus, and other times capturing either the bike or terrain in focus, with the other blurred for a particular effect. Usually I'm shooting in evaluative metering mode, but sometimes spot metering if backlit or some other weird condition.

Most of the post work is done with Lightroom. Occasionally I'll use PS6, or Nik plugins like Viveza. In LR I'll generally confirm the white balance (using something black or gray like tail bag to set the WB), do some minor cropping, and then adjust sliders a bit to get the right amount of "pop" in the image. I try not to tweak the colors too much. For dramatic skies like these I'll sometimes use a gradient filter for the skies, maybe darkening exposure a bit, adding a bit of saturation and clarity. Some images look nice with a vignette to draw the eye more to the main subject, others not as much.

I didn't have to do too much to these images. That terrain, and the skies that weekend were so spectacular, it made my job as a photographer pretty easy!
Old 04-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #26
bwhip OP
Every ride a gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
And nice payoff. Thanks for the photos and inspiration. Bet you wouldn't take a thousand dollars for one of those days.
When I bought this bike back in early 2011, one of the main reasons was so that it could take me places where I could take cool photos. It's been even more fun over the 14,000+ miles than I ever dreamed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdiver View Post
Wow, great pictures. Did you use HDR processing? I want to use HDR myself but I can't get the shake out of the the pictures even with a tripod.

DD
There were some minimal HDR effects added in post processing on a few of them, but the only ones that used actual HDR were a few I took with an HDR app in the iPhone (ProHDR - which is awesome!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Absolutely stunning photos! I want to go THERE!

I usually go to Oregon in the first week of July, but I'm going in September for a weeklong bicycle tour... so... what's Utah like in July? Too hot? Ok? Got a map?
Probably quite hot there that time of year, but doable. Just pack lots of water because there can be a long distance between gas stations. I highly recommend the Butler maps for finding the best motorcycle roads. It's been a great resource for me. http://www.butlermaps.com/Motorcycle-Road-Maps/
Old 04-16-2014, 06:52 AM   #27
fuggy
Canyon Explorer

Oddometer: 661
Great photos, love the sky blue colors and clouds mixed in.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:00 AM   #28
ncmedic
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
your photos did tell how cool your weekend was!

I agree, this is one heck of a good photo. If it ain't already done, I'm gonna nominate it for the front page. Excellent photo!
Agreed !! This is by far my favorite, sounds like an awesome ride! Thanks for sharing.
ncmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #29
ADVRidnFool
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
your photos did tell how cool your weekend was!

I agree, this is one heck of a good photo. If it ain't already done, I'm gonna nominate it for the front page. Excellent photo!
That's an awesome shot! All your pics are great! What camera/lens combo were you using? Keep riding and keep the shiny side up!
ADVRidnFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #30
bwhip OP
Every ride a gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVRidnFool View Post
That's an awesome shot! All your pics are great! What camera/lens combo were you using? Keep riding and keep the shiny side up!
Thanks very much. A few of the shots were with my iPhone 5S or pocket Canon S100, but most were with the Canon 5D Mark III with 16-35mm f/2.8, or 85mm f/1.8.