Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2014, 04:03 AM   #1
The_Precious_Juice OP
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 1,291
KY, Cent. Plains, Rockies, P.N.W., Great Lakes: May-Aug

KY, Central Plains, Rockies, Pac N.W., Great Lakes: May-Aug

That’s the best title I could come up with.
KY just does not have a solid region to hang out in.

After a solid month of research and looking at a 3 year window, I’ve come up with a FRAGO on a 90 day tour (12MAY-12AUG).

I’m tickled with this plan for several reasons.

I have a uncommon ADVtouring talisman that few Americans have. I have one year left in the Inactive Ready Reserves. So, I have a US Navy Reserve I.D. This puts me at the bottom of list for Military Space Available Travel (category VI).
The peak months for folk to take advantage of free flights on Military air transports are 15MAY-15SEP.
So during this period the DR and I will hang out in the lower 48, and then I’ll most likely go solo this fall to around the 15th of December.

I decided to wave off going to Alaska (never been). I had too much planned in the lower Pac N.W. before going up there. I’d rather just go in the shoulder season… or dare I type, move up there for a spell. Once I started to push Bend, Crater Lake, Portland, and Eugene off the tour, I knew that something was wrong.

I decided to wave off the Mid-Atlantic States and New England (never been to). I would be doing a lot of riding to cover that type of mileage in 90 days. I decided to focus on a range of about 7,500 miles that comes to 83 miles/day.

Not much is going to change from the last tour.
Here’s my last tour’s prep thread. It’s fairly boring. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946703

Some changes:

I’m going to move my soft luggage bags around to have more room to slide back in the saddle. I’ll also do some easy DR mods…

Wait a minute.
I’ve not even gone over the most important part. The locations!

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 04:28 AM
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:06 AM   #2
The_Precious_Juice OP
Two pump chump

Locations

VA: I’ll stay the night in the Appalachian Mountains near the KY boarder. Family is here. I’ll use I-81 to get down there quickly. I’ll need the extra daylight to visit with family.

KY: After crossing over at Jenkins, I’ll take advantage of the heavy vascular roads as I make my way southwest of E’town. I’m fortunate to have family here as well.

IN: (Never been here) so this will be a morale boost. I’ll just ride though on my way to the Gate Way to the West.

MO: I’ll most likely stage outside St. Louis, and attack at first light. This is my favorite big city. I’d like to stay here a couple of days. Afterwards, I’ll hand rail The Big Muddy as I head for Hawkeye country.

IA: (Never been here). Seeing how there are so many MC owners/capita, I’ve decided to ride through here. I’ll take a north by northwest vector in order to see the Cornhusker State.

NB: (Never been here). I’ll try and come in somewhere around S. Sioux City.

S.D: (Never been here). I’m going to try and parallel the I-90 and got to the Bad Lands. I’ll try and stay a couple of days in the Mount Rushmore area at least.

WY: I’m anti wind something fierce, so I’m going to try and come in north of the I-90 and work my way toward the Big Horn Mountains, and then west toward Yellowstone. I reckon it will be late May by now, so road conditions will be questionable. Maybe I can swing up to MT and get on the Beartooth Highway (212). I’ll leave out of Alpine thereabouts.

ID: My favorite state west of the Mississip, I’ll go through Black foot and make my way to the Craters of the Moon Nati Preserve, then to Ketchum, then Stanley, then Garden Valley, then down toward Boise. I’ll then head toward the Snake River. Later I’ll come back in near Lewiston, then east along U.S. Route 12 into MT.

OR: I’ll maybe do the most miles here. I’m come in through around Ontario and push toward Bend on highway 26. I’d like to stay here for a couple of days. Afterwards, I’ll go to Crater Lake. It should be early to mid June so this too could be bust if the road is closed. Afterwards, I’ll ride north and cross the Cascades for Eugene. I’ll then ride into Portland. I’ll skirt the Columbian River as I head back east. I possibly could swing down to John Day if it is the 12-15th of June, and maybe ride east with some riders from the Chief Joseph Rally Depending upon what day it is, I’d like to dip down to Hells Canyon and work my way up to Joseph and then Enterprise.
It would be nice to go to the 2014 Wallowa Valley Adventure Jamboree. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938131
This would be about the half way point of my days on the road, and seems doable. If I’m doing bad on time, I’ll hit up Hells Canyon after the Jamboree. This would put me back in Idaho! Highway 95 anyone? If I’m good to go, I’ll take the 3 out of Enterprise to Lewiston.. I’ve done this before in a cage, so it is not sick high priority.

WA: I may go in and out of Washington as I make my way back east along the Columbian River. Having no income tax, they have high sales tax and such, so I’ll try and stay away from her. Plus, it’s good to talk to the gas station guys for guy on the ground intel.

MT: I’ll make my way toward Missoula, and then to Glacier Nati Park. I’d like to go the week after the 4th of July weekend and during a week day, so the 7th. I’ll make my way south to Bozeman. If I was unable to do the Beartooth 212, before, then I’ll make it right here. Afterwards, “It’s all down hill from here.” I’ll parallel the I-94 on my way east.

ND: (Never been here) Time could be a factor. I’ll come and take old highway 10 to Teddy Roosevelt Nati Park., I’ll take a southern route to miss the nasty fracking conditions.

MN: (Never Been here) Instead of going to civilization, I’ll go to the woods. I’ll slowly make my way toward Voyageurs Nati Park. Afterwards, I’ll skirt the town of Duluth. Might as well back track a wee bit to the Twin Cities!
I’ll be in the mid late July period now.

WI: (Never been here) I’m interested in Green Bay, so that will be the last stop before riding toward upper peninsula of Doughboy country. It would be good to touch Lake Superior. There is a rally at Eagle River from the 1st to the 10th of August. There could be a possibility to see some riders on the first day or so.

MI: (Never been here) I’ll head straight south and make my way to Lake Erie. It would be good to touch Lake Huron while here.

OH: (Never been here). Should be the first week of August or so. It would be good to go to Sandusky and ride the best roller coaster rides in the world! From here I’ll make my way south through Columbus, and into the Mountaineer State. Lastly, Lake Erie would be a goal to go to.

WV: If I have slack time, I’ll take my time, if not, I’ll need two days to ride through. But, I’m going to try and miss that toll. I’d like to ride through Pocahontas County.

Time line: I sort of went over the time line. But, there are really not any time crunches. The biggest temporal gravitation pull is Enterprise, OR in June, for the Jamboree.
I’d like to be home no later than the 12th of August. This will give me a month to prep for the next stage of touring. I could push it to 22th of August if need be.

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 05-15-2014 at 04:57 AM Reason: Edited ND route. Frakking.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:10 AM   #3
The_Precious_Juice OP
Two pump chump

Changes from the last tour

So, back to the changes on this tour.

Stock DR, but with a new rear tyre. Shinko 705. The front bridgestone is the same (7,000 miles).

I'm going to push off after the 7,500 mile service.

DR mods:
Upper Chain Roller removal,
Chain guard removal.

Changes to the gear layout and such:

Like I typed before, the soft bags will be re done to allow more room in the saddle.

64 ounce of Gatorade bottles X 2. They will be filled about 90% full, so about 3.4 liters or .9 gallons. I値l cover them up with red tape, so as to not draw too much attention. I値l stop at the 70 mile (112km) mark and dump them in. On my last tour, it was annoying to stay up on top of the 3.4 gallon (12.8 liters) fuel cell. This will allow better stop and go movement, and help me out in the Inland N.W. I知 hoping to have a 215 mile (346km) range until empty.

Cut off some of tarp. My giant tarp can stand one more cutting, but just a couple of inches or so.

Sheep skin seat. Ohh, I love this mod. MattC, from Dual Sport Riders of Louisiana, gave it to me! It痴 easily a 33% improvement on the seat.

Stanchions. I think I値l take two of these in storage. Just in case I need a lift somewhere. Furthermore they can be used to jack up the MC. But only if there are strong objects from above. Or to strap on a 2 gallon (7.57 liters) gas can, and kiss the 300 mile (482km) range!

Extra Air filter. Light, does not take up much room. Will need in the west.

Skid plate. Going with Suzuki痴 OEM plate. It痴 just some extra insurance. I do not plan on jumping logs and such.

Inner tubes: I値l bring a inner tube for the front and rear tires.

Tool Kit: I知 not gong to take a full tool kit. Just enough to do what I know. I値l take a size 5 allen wrench unlike last time.

Less clothes, and more room for water and food. I had too many T-shirts. The McCoy blood in my wouldn稚 let me toss them in the garage on the tour!

So, seeing how I知 going to be sweating a lot on the second half of the tour, I知 going to bring a 3 liter water bladder to go in my back pack.

Spartan Heavy Rider Gloves!!! I did not take these on my last tour and regretted it soon after. Hell, now that I type about it, it would be good to wear them on the interstate at any time. It would not get too warm, and I壇 have better protection from crashes.

I知 going to wear some gelled insoles to go with my U.S.M.C combat boots. The peg vibes in the DR are the worst thing about the MC. Well, the suspension is really spongy when trying to push her around to stealth camp.
Last tour I had the USMC Danner R.A.T. combat Boot. Rugged All Terrain.
This time it will be a lighter shoe for the warmer temps later. The Bates USMC Temperate Weather Boots Desert.

Typing of stealth camping. I知 not too sure what I知 going to do out on the Prairie. The veg is the edge. There really isn稚 any tress or woods to steal away to.
I should make do in the Rockies, and the isolated Oregon range.

I lost my 1990s sandals in a fire, so I知 going with some cheap flip-flops now.

Maps! I知 leaving with every map I知 going to need. They are light, and I can drop weight as I go. I never seemed to have time to hunt down a AAA location or visitor center when on the go. Ok, well maybe not the Great Lakes map package. I知 not riding a Triumph Tiger dont団ha know.

Tent Space from the get go. I知 going to try and get things set up weeks in advance before I push from VA. This is an extremely helpful resource while ADVtouring.

Compass, and Garmin Fortrex 401. I used these both once last time. I only used the GPS to get a grid for the bad ass spot I found in West Oak Hills, TX. But, this time, I知 going to get more use out of the later. I値l have to get some grids for Idaho and Oregon mostly.

Photo bucket. I知 going to get an early start with photo bucket. It took a while to learn how to post pics before. Furthermore, I guess I put too many pics on my ride report, because they are all blank now. Opps.
I'll have some pics posted here in a couple of weeks.

Keeping an eye on this thread. I thought this thread disappeared. It doesn稚. I値l just save the link, and go back and review things.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:27 AM   #4
riverflow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
I'll keep an eye out and see if you end up near Louisville for a little bit. Or If I run into you on the end of my KAT ride.

Mods might want to move this to the RR sub.

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:07 AM   #5
The_Precious_Juice OP
Two pump chump

Thanks

I think last time, the thread stayed here in "up coming." The morning I left for the tour, I checked in to give the mods a heads up that I was pushing. The thread went away soon after.

Later I started a ride report.
__

It's a good set-up. It prevents cluter.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:57 AM   #6
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
When you get to South Dakota take a look at Hiway 44 to get across the state, mucho better than I-90! Of course, the TSDAT would be a great way to see the backside of SD!

Sleddog
Sleddog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #7
The_Precious_Juice OP
Two pump chump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
When you get to South Dakota take a look at Hiway 44 to get across the state, mucho better than I-90! Of course, the TSDAT would be a great way to see the backside of SD!

Sleddog

Highway 44 it is!

I looked over your ride report of the TSDAT.
I was really impressed with the roads and views. It looks great!

The Missouri River looks beastly in South Dakota.

What will the TSDAT be like in mid to late May?

It would be nice to ride it where the Missouri River starts the boarder with NB, all the way to where it meets the 44. Then I could take the 44 west.

Thought?

Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
biosci
Tumbleweed54473

Oddometer: 192
KY, Cent Plains, etc.

Central Rally 7 "BaconBeerBikeHugfestapalooza" 8/1-8/10 2014

Check out the Central Rally, Eagle River, WI. Over a thousand miles of great riding in Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. First week ride to Lake Superior, camp out on an island. Second week ride hubdreds of miles of some of the best backroads / trails in the midwest.

Welcome @ my place to camp, fire, food, beer, if we are home. 17 mi NE of Stevens Point, WI.

Subscribed...
Old 04-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #9
The_Precious_Juice OP
Two pump chump

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosci View Post
Central Rally 7 "BaconBeerBikeHugfestapalooza" 8/1-8/10 2014

Check out the Central Rally, Eagle River, WI. Over a thousand miles of great riding in Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. First week ride to Lake Superior, camp out on an island. Second week ride hubdreds of miles of some of the best backroads / trails in the midwest.

Welcome @ my place to camp, fire, food, beer, if we are home. 17 mi NE of Stevens Point, WI.

Subscribed...
Thanks for the heads up.

I love the art work for the Rally poster!

I'm not too sure where I'll be come August, but maybe I'll come early to help set up and then push east toward MI.

Cheers.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
The_Precious_Juice OP
Two pump chump

Tenative plan in May

VA
12th leave base camp and ride 170 miles to Dante, VA.

KY
13th. Eastville, KY (289 miles from Dante, VA)

St. Louis area
14th. St. Louis, Missouri (288 miles from Eastville, KY)
15th. Micheal, Ill (75 miles from St. Louis)

Iowa
16th. Moravia, IA (214 miles)
17th. Cumming, IA (82 miles)
18th. Hancock Township, IA (200 miles)

South Dakota
19th. Monroe. (96 miles)

___
That's a good amount of hustle for the Mighty DR.

I think with good weather I can tour it. It's 176 miles/day. Not the 82 miles/day I should have at the end of the 90 day tour.
I'll have plenty of day light that's for sure ( I do not like to ride at night). I'll be gaining latitude the entire way.
__
I would'nt be suprised if I lost a day in MO. After all, it's SHOW time.

I tried to make a funny with the state motto of MO. Kind of weak sauce. Well, it's going to have to be strong BBQ sauce to go on those Ribs. Jk.
__

I'll be sure to re post here to give up dates on what the plan is.

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 04-25-2014 at 08:46 PM
Old 04-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #11
tyrsmkkyle
off the ground.

Oddometer: 238
Its easy to loose a day at my house.
Hopefully the weathers is nice while youre n mo, we have unpredictable
Weather.
tyrsmkkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:09 PM   #12
The_Precious_Juice OP
Two pump chump

Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrsmkkyle View Post
Its easy to loose a day at my house.
Hopefully the weathers is nice while youre n mo, we have unpredictable
Weather.

The hard stormy weather should be in your neck of the woods by the time mid May gets here.

It's in the Deep South now and doing damage.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #13
The_Precious_Juice OP
Two pump chump

gear pics

I do not have the food out.

I'm going with the soft packs from before.
1. Med bag
2. Small Alice Pack.
3. NVG bag (green)
4. M203 (black)
5. Side bags from mountain ruck
6. On top of the med bag is a North American Rescue bag (first aid kit)
7. Looks like I did not get the small med bag and the camel back bag in the pic. We will see them later on the DR.

Joe Rocket jacket.
It has elbow and shoulder pads. Also, there is a really light back pad.
The jacket can become two. I have the left sleve out to demo this.

Good ol day pack. It is usually empty when out touring. I fold up the blue tarp and put her inside. I sometimes put the fanny pack inside this as well. I have the day planner inside this bag at all times.

Joe rocket pants with liner.

hygien gear. No shaving gear. Going to let the beard grow out for 90 days. tooth brush, floss, and contact solution is missing.

Tank bag
1. grey deal is the Nexus. POS did not want to take any pics, so I had to break out the old Kodak Play Sport.
2. regional map
3. registration stuff
4. Journal
5. Nexus case
6. Map tool
7. Glass case. Should not be there. Will have on contacts.

personal bug out bag.
1. phone (pre paid minutes)
2. note pad
3. pen
4. compass
5. Garmin GPS
6. Extra battarys
7. matches
8. torch
9. trama sheers
10. bottle opener
11. hand sanitizer
12. Combat Action Tourniquet
13. Insurance card
14. I'll put the vitamins and oil pills in several bags and spread load them in my gear. I'll have a small bag here in the fanny pack.

Plastic bags.
to protect small important gear in the rain.

I'm sticking with the Recon 3 bag. It is really bad around zero celcius. I'm bringing the Delta airliner blankie to help out in the Rockies.

Limited tool kit. I'm just bringing what I know what to do. If anything bad happens, it's going to have to go to a garage any way.
Dupont chain lube.
multi tool
towell to clean hands or something.

small stuff and stachions. I may strap the DR to a truck or something if the opporturnity arises. Plus, I can left up the MC when useing both green stachions if I have a good tree of sorts.
knot tying papers. I suck at knots.
Extra batterys (AAA)

I'll eventually put petrol in here. I'll cover them up with red tape, and break them out once I get into WY. They are 64 ounces. So, I'll just have about 4/5ths full, so about .9 gallons.

I'm going to try and have contacts on.
1. Bad ass bolistic sun glasses (top left)
2. bolistic prescribtion glasses (top right.
3. Cheap sun glasses that ZZ-Top gave me.
4. Contacts.

Pretty good kevlar... err helmet. I'll bring the two attachments along to put in in case it gets cold.

Having just the stock seat and the blue tarp on the last tour, these two modes are great.
The sheep skin seat in a solid 50% improvement. It also helps with vibes on the inner thigh.
The foam is a great fit. It also helps with comfort a little, and more importantly helps with the cramped ergos and gives a more commanding view. It can easily slide out and tucked away in the med bag for long streches on the Intersate (I like to get tucked down low for better fuel economy), and for when I go off road for a place to camp.

My good old 90s gloves. Love them.
I did not have the heavy Spartan gloves last time, but I missed them. I'll most likely mail these back home by the time I get to North Dakota in July.

I'm switching boots for the weather. I have a gel insole with the orginal insole to help with peg vibes that the DR gives off. Every time you deploy, you get a pair of boots. These are damn near brand new.

I just had 2 liters of water on my Deep South winter tour. I'll need the extra 3 liters for the summer time here in North America.

The tarp has several functions
1. MC cover
2. tent (the DR is the ten poles)
3. Seat cushion (although I have yet to try it out with the sheep skin on.
4. wind breaker or a lean to
5. when super cold, can really wrap up in it to help with insulation. No love for the DR.

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 04-30-2014 at 07:53 PM
Old 04-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #14
The_Precious_Juice OP
Two pump chump

Draft of how the soft bags will go on the DR

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 04-30-2014 at 09:07 PM
Old 05-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #15
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,231
I like crossing rivers by ferries. In Kentucky you can cross the Ohio into Ohio in Augusta,just to the west of Maysville or just west of Cinncinnati. In western Ky. there is a free ferry in Crittenden County on 91 that takes you to Cave in Rock on the Illinois side. If you want to cross the Mississippi by ferry go to Henderson , Ky. to catch the one to Dorena , Mo. about 120 miles south of St.Louis.
Any good riding in Indiana and Illinois is fairly close to the Ohio River, once you get 40 miles north of the river things flatten out, mostly.The Ozarks in southern Mo. and northern Arkansas have some great roads.Kansas ,Iwoa and Nebraska by the small roads will have some hidden gems , hopefully.
All the Black Hills is good stuff and the badlands in western N. Dakota is fun on gravel. Watch out for fracker traffic.
From Montana to Idaho, are you familiar with the MaGruder Corridor ? Billed as the longest primative road in the lower 48 states, it leads you 148 miles between the Selway-Bitteroot and the Frank Church -River of No return Wilderness Areas.You can really get away from it up there.Bring gas.
In Council, Id. if you can find your way to the Klienshmidt Grade on the maze of gravel roads, it will drop you right down to the Snake.
There are free ferries on the Columbia in Washinton at Keller and Inchelium .And just west of Coulee City is Dry Falls. It's the site of the largest floods ever on Earth, during the last Ice Age.
And if you're ready for more and have your Passport handy the Kootenai Rockies and the hot springs there are worth seeing in British Columbia.

bk brkr baker screwed with this post 05-01-2014 at 02:03 PM
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote