ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #1
iggs OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Dubai - The sandpit
Oddometer: 52
How do you load and secure a bike in a pickup?

I need to get to grips with loading, unloading and securing the bike in the back of my truck

Bike is a gas gas 450 and the truck is a 2010 extended cab silverado with a 6'6" bed

Any top tips, handy hints and photos gratefully received

Ian


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
iggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #2
Domiken
Studly Adventurer
 
Domiken's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Manhattan
Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggs View Post
I need to get to grips with loading, unloading and securing the bike in the back of my truck

Bike is a gas gas 450 and the truck is a 2010 extended cab silverado with a 6'6" bed

Any top tips, handy hints and photos gratefully received

Ian


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-Harbor Freight fold up ramp (piece of wood and an extra hand work well too)
-Wheel chock (doesnt have to be drilled into the bed)
-Canyon Dancers in the front (or just soft ties or go around the forks by the bottom triple)
-I personally would also tie to the back passenger pegs or somewhere on the frame

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...amp-90018.html
__________________
www.leananglejeans.com
100% Fully Lined Protective Motorcycle Jeans without looking like a goofball
Domiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,537
Say... A Gas Gas... Isn't that a TRIALS bike? Can't you just hop it up into the truck?

__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 7,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggs View Post
I need to get to grips with loading, unloading and securing the bike in the back of my truck

Bike is a gas gas 450 and the truck is a 2010 extended cab silverado with a 6'6" bed

Any top tips, handy hints and photos gratefully received

Ian


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1) Find a friend, nieghbor buddy
2) Ramp(s) of some sort.
3) one dude on each side, one with the handle bars one with the sub-frame
4) once you have it in, four straps, one on each fork (or on the risers, I like to use the fork brace) two straps on the sub frame, tighter in the front than the rear, only take 3/4" of an inch or so off of the suspension, just enough that it can't bounce.

At least that will get you started, there are guys that walk it up the ramps at idle, ride it up, get a running start and jump into the truck with the bike etc. All of that depends on what you are comfortable with.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:36 AM   #5
iggs OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Dubai - The sandpit
Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Say... A Gas Gas... Isn't that a TRIALS bike? Can't you just hop it up into the truck?




Even if it was a trials bike it will be a while before I'd have the skill for that

It's a 450 Enduro bike


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
iggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #6
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 6,527
One of these is worth the cost, which is pretty minimal.



This attaches to each handlebar grip and you secure them with ratchet straps. Your local motorcycle shop will probably sell these. If not, google something like "motorcycle handlebar grip for trailering" and you should be able to find one.

And buy ratchet straps. Don't use bungees. Don't just tie it off with rope. Good ratchet straps will only cost you about $20, and are worth the investment particularly if you're transporting the bike over long distances where bungee straps might fatigue and loosen, and knots in ropes don't always hold. I'm sure others have had good experiences with bungee cords and rope, but I personally wouldn't take the chance.

I've had it recommended to met that you secure the bike in the middle of the truck bed, straight up and down. Don't secure it while it's leaning over on the kickstand.

Also, you should try to secure the bike from moving left and right, rather than trying to ratchet it "down" so it compresses the forks. Not many people have problems with fork leaks when they're transporting their bike, but some do. I don't think it's common, but why take the chance.
__________________

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #7
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 7,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
One of these is worth the cost, which is pretty minimal.



This attaches to each handlebar grip and you secure them with ratchet straps. Your local motorcycle shop will probably sell these. If not, google something like "motorcycle handlebar grip for trailering" and you should be able to find one.

And buy ratchet straps. Don't use bungees. Don't just tie it off with rope. Good ratchet straps will only cost you about $20, and are worth the investment particularly if you're transporting the bike over long distances where bungee straps might fatigue and loosen, and knots in ropes don't always hold. I'm sure others have had good experiences with bungee cords and rope, but I personally wouldn't take the chance.

I've had it recommended to met that you secure the bike in the middle of the truck bed, straight up and down. Don't secure it while it's leaning over on the kickstand.

Also, you should try to secure the bike from moving left and right, rather than trying to ratchet it "down" so it compresses the forks. Not many people have problems with fork leaks when they're transporting their bike, but some do. I don't think it's common, but why take the chance.
+1

Those handlebar cup/straps are worth their weight in gold.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
iggs OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Dubai - The sandpit
Oddometer: 52
Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated.

I used to use those style of straps that fit over the grips on my CBR 600 when I loaded it on trailers but had all sorts of problems with them moving the grips pretty badly, even caused the throttle to get very sticky at one track day (THAT WAS EXCITING). I stopped using them after that :-(

One of the problems I have is that I'm in Dubai and availability of 'stuff' can be very limited.

I'll definitely only use ratchet straps, wouldn't use anything else.

Has anyone got any pictures ?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
iggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:07 AM   #9
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 7,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggs View Post
Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated.

I used to use those style of straps that fit over the grips on my CBR 600 when I loaded it on trailers but had all sorts of problems with them moving the grips pretty badly, even caused the throttle to get very sticky at one track day (THAT WAS EXCITING). I stopped using them after that :-(

One of the problems I have is that I'm in Dubai and availability of 'stuff' can be very limited.

I'll definitely only use ratchet straps, wouldn't use anything else.

Has anyone got any pictures ?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The newer canyon dancers have rotating cups, I use them on my 675 and have never had an issue.

Otherwise just strap over the fork brace, that is a nice structural hardpoint.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #10
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 6,527
Don't do this!!!

__________________

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #11
Domiken
Studly Adventurer
 
Domiken's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Manhattan
Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
The newer canyon dancers have rotating cups, I use them on my 675 and have never had an issue.

Otherwise just strap over the fork brace, that is a nice structural hardpoint.
Me too
__________________
www.leananglejeans.com
100% Fully Lined Protective Motorcycle Jeans without looking like a goofball
Domiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #12
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 6,527
I don't know how well you can see the straps in this photo, but it's a good representation.

__________________

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #13
KX50002
NooB, my ass
 
KX50002's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: NEPA
Oddometer: 1,621
I've always just used the nylon straps with a "cambuckle", hook to each side of the handlebars and go to each front corner of the truck bed. never used a wheelchock, or more than the 2 straps. Just pull the straps to compress the forks about 2-3" and you're set.
As far as getting into the truck, a 2x6 works fine just push the bike up the ramp, don't try to ride up until you've had a lot of practice doing something similar like riding up onto a picnic table (they're cheaper to replace than a Silverado! )
__________________
SOTGMOTT Some Of The Gear Most Of The Time
KX50002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #14
CaseyB
Adventually
 
CaseyB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: The Garden State
Oddometer: 425
Ramp for bike

2x6 for you

Up into truck

Front tire wedged into corner

Two of these:

Top pic for representation

one end has a loop in the strap with a hook sewn in part way down- go around handlebar - put hook through end of loop

Other end goes to bed rail...repeat other side
(since the handlebars are turned, one strap goes back - mid bed rail. Other would be going forward, I go to my backrack)

One regular ratchet strap to footpeg - fixed to somewhere forward of truck bed (stop back and forth movement)


And that's it, three straps and the bike doesnt move.
__________________
One Of These Days
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #15
bradluke0
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Tampa , Fl
Oddometer: 167
Hi all ! There are many ways to do it so not sure there is a "right" way . One thing is for sure , don't use the side stand .
bradluke0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014