Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #31
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Dirt bikes are so dammed light it almost doesnt even matter how you do it. Going out the races you see every imaginable configuration of bike loading you can imagine and after awhile it kind of just boils down to preference.
I do like the diagonal configuration because bein able to close the gate is nice. I do it sometimes that way if I have the time or care that much.

street bikes..... different sport all together
this. it's a dirt bike, what is the fuss?

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #32
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
this. it's a dirt bike, what is the fuss?
its just like anything - if you have never done it, it can be intimidating especially if you have a tall truck. I get it. Once you've done it a few times, its a snap

I always crack up at watching guy try and load bikes into huge jacked up trucks. I just push my KTM into my Ranger.... dont even get into the bed of the truck, just walk along side
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #33
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,011
Personally, I got 2, 8' ATV ramps. I don't have a lifted truck, but a fullsize F350 and the short ramps suck. One for the bike and one for me to walk on. Only combination that doesn't scare the crap outta me.

That being said, I'm building a hitch hauler cause that's just much easier and I can use a locking Canopy. For me, a plastic fork brace, and soft tie downs just make things even easier.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #34
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,802
My brother and I used to put the front wheels of two bikes in the trunk of his 70 duster, 1 tie down between the 2 handle bars, 1 from each outside bar to the trunk lid hinges. Pull the tie downs tight until the back wheels are off the ground and we're of too the races!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #35
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I typically back it into the driveway or any surface to even out the height, with this 3ft wide ramp I got from Harbor Freight, then just push it up in neutral with a running start and walk along side the ramp. I put on this fork saver thing between the front wheel and fender. I put on two pull strap moderately tight just to keep it upright, sit on the bike and pull both at the same time. Works every time.

My mechanic always did it this weird thing where he put in diagonally, and used one strap on each footpeg, making an X with the bike being the / and straps being the \ for lack of better symbols or phrasing.

Or, you could do this.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #36
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 261
I wrote a step-by-step for a hitch hauler here: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=319

Same principle for a truck.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:14 PM   #37
iggs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Awesome info on here folks, Shukkran!!

I've got a plan forming. Need see if I can find some soft straps out here in the sandpit

And a ramp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
iggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:57 PM   #38
Jofa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
back the truck up to a hill / steep driveway / small wall / drop off and ride or walk the bike right in.

u find the right little hill, u can ride any right onto the bed of the truck - down a flat plank.

I've done it w a Road King, u certainly can do it w a dirt bike. good luck.
Jofa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:49 AM   #39
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,510
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the importance of a step stool in the loading process -- it's a real confidence booster when you don't have to make a giant step up into the bed of the truck as you're pushing your bike into the bed.

It's *massively* important if, like me, your legs get tired after hours of dirt biking!

Another key factor is the length of the ramp. A short ramp and a tall truck is a recipe for disaster -- just look at all those fail videos. When the bikes stop abruptly when the front wheel is in the truck and the rear wheel is on the ramp, that's the bike "high centering" on the cases.

IMHO, buy the longest ramp you can get. Among other things, long ramps are less steep for a given bed height, therefore easier to use. A short ramp is the work of the devil.

Arched ramps are designed to help with high-centering, also. A really long, folding arched ramp would be so sweet!

If you discover that your bike high centers, you can always have a friend lift the ground-end of the ramp, and you'll be able to clear the tailgate no sweat. It's not, however a long-term solution to the problem.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:25 AM   #40
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
canyon dancer straps are great for street bikes. useless for dirt bikes if you got bush guards on there. Just pick up some webbing with D rings on both ends. These are cheap and can go around your handle bars. They are super handy for a lot of things. +1 it really doesn't matter much with a dirt bike. I have trucked mine around with just two cinch straps. Some more tricks..

-if in doubt get a buddy to help. Parking your truck at the bottom of a slope makes it easy.
-coolers make a great step up and what goes better with a dirt ride than some refreshments?
-if your truck bed is slippery run a strip of grit tape down the middle. Wet knobbies don't have much traction on plastic bedliner.
-keep a rag/towel handy, toss it underneath the end of your ramp that is touching the ground. This prevents the ramp from getting spit out when you hit it with a good push.
-you won't need a wheel chock and you certainly won't get high centered on a gasgas 450

Old 04-17-2014, 06:03 AM   #41
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 615
I hitch cary. FWIW

and use the bed for gear and firewood.
I found a 500# version of one of these on Ebay for <$100. delivered to my door in three days.
http://www.discountramps.com/motorcy...C15C=300196266
4 point tiedown @ handlebars and rear grab bars. Easy one man loading.Easy to gas up the bike on the way.
Lots of benifits in my book
Old 04-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #42
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 261
^ If anyone's looking for a hitch carrier, Harbor Freight always has them for cheap: http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-...ier-99721.html

And everything's 25% off there with the coupon on their homepage for this weekend. That ends up being under $100 for a hitch hauler, which is a win.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #43
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,203
or you could do it this way - and dammed near make a career out of it. What the hell kind of motorcycle shipper shows up with no ramp?!

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #44
iggs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
How do you load and secure a bike in a pickup?

Thank you sooooo much for all the replies folks, really appreciate it

This eve I went to Ace and brought an alloy curved ramp that folds in half plus 2 x sets of 4 tie downs, 1 set is just a cam buckle and the other set is a small ratchet set.

Tomorrow I'm gonna load my bike into the back of the truck and head to meet some friends at a local MX turn track

This is where I'm heading http://youtu.be/OZHENXXVpss

I'm a bit gripped to be honest :-/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
iggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #45
CaseyB
Adventually

Oddometer: 470
Good luck to you iggs. Just take your time. someone already said it - you'll figure out what works for you.

I at first refused to put the front tire in the corner, i thought it needed/ i had to have it pointed straight......one big ass bump changed that for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
FYI; how not to

I've been trying to work up enough nerve to just ride my bike up into my truck (f250)...after that video, I'm going to hold off for a bit longer