Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2014, 07:12 PM   #16
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
It might interest you to know that a VFR800 is both bigger and heavier than a breadbox... or an FZ6.

This photo is from the first time it suffered from erect-bike dysfunction. The drop did not do anywhere near as much damage as my subsequent efforts to pick it up, mainly because like some others have said, the way the front wheel is pointing makes a difference, and in this case, I found it was pointing the wrong way, but putting the bike in gear before lifting it helps to minimize a tendency to have it roll away from you whichever way it is pointed. Of course, I had to drop it on the fresh plastic and rash up the clutch cover and the right side lower fairing, and not the left side that already had a tiny scratch from where the PO had dropped it in gravel.

I dropped it again and that time made my life a little easier by remembering 4 key steps:

1) Fully deploy the side stand.

2) Ensure the bike is in any gear but neutral.

3) If possible, turn the front wheel as if you were counter-steering in the direction in which you need to lift.

4) Back up to the bike, kneel down, and lift from the most accessible grab point you can close by the seat and by the lower of the bar ends. Lift with your legs unless you miss seeing your chiropractor and/or osteopath.

As with anything, perfect practice makes perfect, and I nearly gave myself an opportunity for a refresher this morning when I managed to get both the back tire and front tire to slide in what should have been a slow and uneventful 90° left hand turn. If possible though, try to practice with somebody else's bike.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #17
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,192
I will not ride a bike I can not pick up easy.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #18
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,737
Wow Rob, that is quite a system! If it works for you then awesome.

My normal bike to drop is a KTM300 smoker. Not much technique needed to lift it up.
Though 2 weeks ago I was doing a police motorcycle recertification course. I dropped the big harley once and between idrenaline and embarrassment I was able to just yank the bike up and keep going. Pretty stupid really. I guess I can still do that but in another ten years that move might put me in the hospital.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #19
John_B
roooooookie

Oddometer: 14
I'm sorry, but crofrog & farmerstu have got it right, get to the gym once in a while... just cause we're supposedly at the top of the food chain doesn't mean you should sit on you sofa and eat tater chips then go ride a 500 lb bike .... then whine when you can't pick it up!
I am 45 YO and sit at a desk all day, but can still pick up my KLR easily when facing it. I can't fathom riding a bike that I can't handle, and if you can't pick it up YOU CANT HANDLE IT!

Let the flames begin.

John B
John_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #20
John_B
roooooookie

Oddometer: 14
OP, here you go...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moped

John B
John_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #21
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_B View Post
I'm sorry, but crofrog & farmerstu have got it right, get to the gym once in a while... just cause we're supposedly at the top of the food chain doesn't mean you should sit on you sofa and eat tater chips then go ride a 500 lb bike .... then whine when you can't pick it up!
I am 45 YO and sit at a desk all day, but can still pick up my KLR easily when facing it. I can't fathom riding a bike that I can't handle, and if you can't pick it up YOU CANT HANDLE IT!

Let the flames begin.

John B
Good point. I used to ride my GSA solo in the mountains out of cell phone coverage. I figured the jack would make things easier to possible ride out if I had a seperated shoulder or broken arm or leg.

Odd thing about the GSA was I could often pick it up solo, but there were a few times when I could not get it to budge solo. Not sure exactly why.

I am getting older. Thats why I downsized to a more agile KTM for off road.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #22
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
Wow Rob, that is quite a system! If it works for you then awesome.

My normal bike to drop is a KTM300 smoker. Not much technique needed to lift it up.
Though 2 weeks ago I was doing a police motorcycle recertification course. I dropped the big harley once and between idrenaline and embarrassment I was able to just yank the bike up and keep going. Pretty stupid really. I guess I can still do that but in another ten years that move might put me in the hospital.
I remember the Yamaha RD350 I had in college. I could straddle it and pick it up. Light bikes are fun.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:03 AM   #23
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
The Youtube technique works better the shorter the person is. For the first six inches of lift, the 5' 1" 100lb woman has a huge mechanical advantage over the 6' 5" 300lb man.

At 6' 2", skinny and with a bad back, I find it easier to reverse the position: still grabbing the handlebar and the rear grip, but with my stomach laid over the seat and high side of the bike. This allows my knee joint to open up further, increasing my mechanical advantage.

Works for me.

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:37 AM   #24
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I will not ride a bike I can not pick up easy.

Same here. If I could get the grip, I could probably deadlift my TUx.
Prettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:38 AM   #25
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpierce View Post
The Youtube technique works better the shorter the person is. For the first six inches of lift, the 5' 1" 100lb woman has a huge mechanical advantage over the 6' 5" 300lb man.

At 6' 2", skinny and with a bad back, I find it easier to reverse the position: still grabbing the handlebar and the rear grip, but with my stomach laid over the seat and high side of the bike. This allows my knee joint to open up further, increasing my mechanical advantage.

Works for me.
Just make sure you don't round your back off to much while lifting. No stripper ass when deadlifting!
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #26
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,880
I hear ya, last fall I dropped my Funduro 420 lbs wet, plus all camping gear in the gravel.

I tried back/ass against the seat - but it does not work on this bike - the bike is just too low to the ground and I don't get enough grip in the dirt/gravel (feet just slide out). It prolly works with full dressers/hardcases etc.

However, I did go back to the technique a friend taught me (he works for the BMW offroad school in Germany). It works, and I did not even unload the bike (all other techniques failed)

that's the best video I could find about it. The biggest thing is to keep your back straight. Trust me it works... and I am a 5'4 woman

Cuttle screwed with this post 04-17-2014 at 08:13 AM
Cuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #27
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
I hear ya, last fall I dropped my Funduro 420 lbs wet, plus all camping gear in the gravel.

I tried back/ass against the seat - but it does not work on this bike - the bike is just too low to the ground and I don't get enough grip in the dirt/gravel (feet just slide out). It prolly works with full dressers/hardcases etc.

However, I did go back to the technique a friend taught me (he works for the BMW offroad school in Germany). It works, and I did not even unload the bike (all other techniques failed)

that's the best video I could find about it. The biggest thing is to keep your back straight. Trust me it works... and I am a 5'4 women

That is a classic case of a stripper ass deadlift.

The hips and chest should rise at the same rate through the bottom of the lift. Basically the angle of your back shouldn't change.

crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #28
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:

that's the best video I could find about it. The biggest thing is to keep your back straight. Trust me it works... and I am a 5'4 woman
Thanks for posting that Cuttle. The "back to the bike" method doesn't work for me with my 1050 Tiger. Next time it decides to "nap" I'll give this a try. Looks like it'd work.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #29
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
Thanks for posting that Cuttle. The "back to the bike" method doesn't work for me with my 1050 Tiger. Next time it decides to "nap" I'll give this a try. Looks like it'd work.
it works for me (I did practice it a few times with the DR)

just make sure you pull the lower handlebar all the way forward... that gives you the longest lever.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #30
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
it works for me (I did practice it a few times with the DR)

just make sure you pull the lower handlebar all the way forward... that gives you the longest lever.
I'd be afraid to try it on my DR with stock bars for fear of bending them. Fortunately I don't have any problem picking that bike up.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote