Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #31
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
I'd be afraid to try it on my DR with stock bars for fear of bending them. Fortunately I don't have any problem picking that bike up.
my DR was a piece of cake compared to the fully loaded Funduro (top-heavy pig)

actually I didn't need this technique for the DR at all, but it was a good bike to practice on... and it's been on it's side many many times anyway
Old 04-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #32
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,791
One of the older threads on lifting bikes had a guy who would use something like a furniture movers strap looped to the end of the handlebar and then looped over his back and should, so that he was not having to bend his knees nearly so much and could keep his back straight. Looked much easier, but I have never tried it. I think using this method you lift the bike in a couple of moves, adjusting the strap on your body each time.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #33
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,813
I am another who won't ride a bike I can't lift.

Consider this: even if you are strong enough to lift a big bike, it can cause damage. I knew a guy who was around 60 years old, and worked out/swam multiple times a week. He dropped his GSA, and attempted to pick it up himself (he had done it many time before). In the effort, he popped 20% of his bicep muscle loose from the bone (he heard/felt it pop). There is a repair surgery, but his doctor advised him to just live with it, due to possibility of staph infection.

As we get older, our bones get weaker. Even if the muscle is willing, the foundation may not support it.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #34
Laconic
Hard Core

Oddometer: 15,945
I was hesitant to use the "lay it on its side" method of removing the rear wheel on my Gold Wing until I watched a few 90 YO guys do it on YouTube. Shit, if they can do it, I can do it.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #35
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I am another who won't ride a bike I can't lift.

Consider this: even if you are strong enough to lift a big bike, it can cause damage. I knew a guy who was around 60 years old, and worked out/swam multiple times a week. He dropped his GSA, and attempted to pick it up himself (he had done it many time before). In the effort, he popped 20% of his bicep muscle loose from the bone (he heard/felt it pop). There is a repair surgery, but his doctor advised him to just live with it, due to possibility of staph infection.

As we get older, our bones get weaker. Even if the muscle is willing, the foundation may not support it.
Pretty much why, at 56, I just bought the KTM690. I was 49 when I bought my GSA.

What do you consider "able to lift?" With my handi little jack I can lift the GSA using very little body strength. In fact, I would venture to say, with the jack, if I can ride the bike out, I can lift it.

Now in the future I will be riding my KTM around solo (and without the jack, as who wants to haul around an extra 6 lbs). Should I crash and break an arm, will I be able to lift it & ride it out?

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #36
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,056
When I was trying to learn how to get my bike onto its centerstand, I bought a ratchet strap and cut it down ans sewed a loop that I can put over my shoulder and hook to various bars (crash, frame, whatever) to help my lift the thing.

I don't need it for the centerstand any more (thankfully!), but I keep in in one of my cases because I can deadlift the bike with it in worst case. The total length of the loop is so that with the hook on the rear peg mount, I am stooped about two to three inches. To shorten it, I just knot it.

Maybe that helps someone?
Old 04-18-2014, 04:27 PM   #37
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob View Post
What do you consider "able to lift?".....Should I crash and break an arm, will I be able to lift it & ride it out?

Good point. I doubt I could lift my 410 bike with only one arm. I'm not even sure I could ride it out with one arm.

I did hear about a guy who rode 20 miles back with a broken arm or wrist, though. You never know what you're capable of when there is no other way.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #38
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Good point. I doubt I could lift my 410 bike with only one arm. I'm not even sure I could ride it out with one arm.

I did hear about a guy who rode 20 miles back with a broken arm or wrist, though. You never know what you're capable of when there is no other way.
If you're using your arms for anything more than grip you're doing it wrong.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #39
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
Pretty sure squeezing a clutch lever with a broken arm would hurt like a bitch.. (knocks on wood) I don't want to find out...
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:41 AM   #40
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
Well, I generally hang on to the bars, and lift with my legs. That still requires some arm strength. If I had a broken arm, I would probably take off my belt, strap it through the frame near the seat, and put it over my shoulder and one arm to lift.

I'm with Navy Chief, though; don't want to find out.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #41
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
I've picked a bike up and rode it out with a broken hand. You just do it :) It involved a decent amount of screaming and grunting.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:56 AM   #42
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
What bike is it? My old Ninja 500 was 440 wet, and that thing was easy to pick up. (First bike, so I dropped it quite a bit.) Granted, I was 26 or so when I got it, and only 33 now. I have dropped my FZ1 a couple of times in the driveway/gas station. It isn't that much more difficult to pick up, and it is about 510 wet.

Practice the technique, it makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
More like 450, wet.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:31 AM   #43
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
When I was trying to learn how to get my bike onto its centerstand, I bought a ratchet strap and cut it down ans sewed a loop that I can put over my shoulder and hook to various bars (crash, frame, whatever) to help my lift the thing.

I don't need it for the centerstand any more (thankfully!), but I keep in in one of my cases because I can deadlift the bike with it in worst case. The total length of the loop is so that with the hook on the rear peg mount, I am stooped about two to three inches. To shorten it, I just knot it.

Maybe that helps someone?
I love this idea and think it'd solve my problem with the Tiger. Thanks. It's those first inches that are a bitch getting leverage on.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:08 AM   #44
DudeClone OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
What bike is it? My old Ninja 500 was 440 wet, and that thing was easy to pick up. (First bike, so I dropped it quite a bit.) Granted, I was 26 or so when I got it, and only 33 now. I have dropped my FZ1 a couple of times in the driveway/gas station. It isn't that much more difficult to pick up, and it is about 510 wet.

Practice the technique, it makes a difference.
hey there

its a Yamaha FZ6. in all fairness to myself i don't think i gave it too much effort before i asked for help. first time dropping a bike and with traffic behind me and my bike on its side when the bike felt "too heavy" after a couple of feeble attempts i got myself some help. i didn't even try to get any leverage or a good grip on anything. next time it happens (if it does) i will be more prepared with where, what, and how to lift it properly. i am fairly strong, but as you said "practice the technique." however with none of that and a helmet, jacket, and a bike in the street it was just not happening

thanks for all the advice and suggestions, everyone. and stories of your own mishaps. if the bike ever tips again i will don my cape and the damn thing is gonna stand right back up!!
Old 04-22-2014, 06:17 AM   #45
DudeClone OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462