User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #46
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,097
Whatever you do...
Make sure the kick stand is DOWN if you are picking it up from the opposite side..

Not implying someone may have been dumb enough to pick up and then let the bike sail past vertical and right on the left side.....

Old 04-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #47
Jamesx2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Dropped mine for the first time today In the garage. Slow motion loss of balance after putting one foot on the lawnmower. I was a tangled mess. No harm to the bike
Jamesx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:15 AM   #48
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
One other tip is to make sure that you jump up and pick up the bike while the adrenaline rush is still with you, makes it seem easy...
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:17 AM   #49
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
Whatever you do...
Make sure the kick stand is DOWN if you are picking it up from the opposite side..

Not implying someone may have been dumb enough to pick up and then let the bike sail past vertical and right on the left side.....

Also if this happens make sure you let go as soon as you realize what is going on, have not done this myself but have witnessed the outcome of the bike dragging a buddy over with it... Just adds insult in injury..

or injury to insult depending on the circumstances..
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #50
Lep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
When I was trying to learn how to get my bike onto its centerstand, I bought a ratchet strap and cut it down ans sewed a loop that I can put over my shoulder and hook to various bars (crash, frame, whatever) to help my lift the thing.

I don't need it for the centerstand any more (thankfully!), but I keep in in one of my cases because I can deadlift the bike with it in worst case. The total length of the loop is so that with the hook on the rear peg mount, I am stooped about two to three inches. To shorten it, I just knot it.

Maybe that helps someone?
AA, thanks for the description, it sounds like something I ought to make and carry. If you have any photos of the strap in action I'd like to see them.

The "I wouldn't ride a bike I can't pick up" crew may have to think again when they get older. I've downsized to a bike I can easily manage around the garage and into and out of parking spots but I doubt I could pick it up on my own without some form of mechanical assistance.

Picking up a bike by the handlebar as shown in the video is exactly how my local BMW dealer said he was trained to do at a BMW training school.
Lep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:51 PM   #51
LowInSlo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lep View Post
AA, thanks for the description, it sounds like something I ought to make and carry. If you have any photos of the strap in action I'd like to see them.

The "I wouldn't ride a bike I can't pick up" crew may have to think again when they get older. I've downsized to a bike I can easily manage around the garage and into and out of parking spots but I doubt I could pick it up on my own without some form of mechanical assistance.
Ok, I'll pipe up too. Age, yeah, but mostly a pretty bad back (car accident years ago) make me think about my trips and where I'll ride and when. I ride alone 99% of the time, so I'm aware I really shouldn't ride where I could easily get into trouble. Ticks me off to think this way, but I have to be honest with myself. Man's gotta know his limitations, is the way I've heard it said. My bike is low enough for me (I'm short) and fairly light (BMW F650 single) so my margin of error is greater than when I piloted the 1200GS.

So yes, some of us ride bikes we likely can't pick up. Life ain't necessarily what you say it is.