User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
Jeffrocomb OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
AZDBR solo on a KLR

When I saw that Butler was printing the AZDBR route, I ordered it before it was even done. The map arrived around March 7th, and from that point forward, I was on a mission to get this ride in as soon as possible. Elle Dubs post also motivated me to ride it before the weather got any hotter.
Couldn't imagine taking my KLR out the 8, and didn't have time to casually make my way out there. As much as I hated to, trailering was the best option.

I loaded up the family, and headed out to Tucson for a quick getaway with them before the trip. We Stayed at the Tanque Verde Ranch, and did all the tourist stuff we could do in three days by visiting Tombstone, Bisbee, and riding horses.
I decided that I would pass on riding the first section, so at the crack of dawn (6:00 AM)on Tuesday morning I departed Tucson for Benson.
Just outside the resort, I stopped for this picture..

Day One Goal - Benson to Campsite North of Globe:
Pretty warm, and already dry, the roads were easy, and the ride went fast through Mammoth with a quick stop for fuel in Winkleman.

Here's a shot just North of Mammoth near the RR Tracks.

And pulling in to Winkleman..

Made a stop near Dripping Springs at about 12:30. when I saw this sign.

Chuey has great nuts. Make sure you stock up on his oranges too. When I told him that I was riding to Utah he laughed and told me I was crazy, and that I would never finish. Here's a picture of Chuey, his friend Carl, and his awesome hound dog named Hound. If you stop by, make sure you tell him that I made it!

After Dripping Springs, it was up, up, up to El Capitan. The climb was much steeper, and rockier than I had expected. No dismounts, or crashes, but I had simplified it in my mind. If a big fat fully loaded Beemer can do it, should be cake on a KLR. My average speed was much slower than I expected. seeing a car like this at the top always kills me!

I rolled in to Globe at about 2:30, and bought a coffee cup here, and ate Mexican next door. If you're following the tracks, you'll see it..

After Globe, I headed out toward the Salt River, and expected to camp in the Cottonwoods off Cherry Creek. I just kept riding, and didn't stop until I was just south of the "Expert Only" section just south of Young.

Spent a beautiful night under the stars, and slept like a baby.

DAY #1 Total: 251.5 Miles in 8:14.

Day#2

Left camp at 7:15, today I was detouring off the AZBDR to meet my Aunt and Uncle in Heber, off the 260. I jammed through Young, and enjoyed the easy gravel all the way to the 260. Turned East on the 260, and rolled in to Heber at 10:30.

We caught up, and after fuel, and groceries at the Circle K, I found a FS road that would take me west back to the AZBDR. This part of Arizona is beautiful, and needs much more exploring. Should have brought my pole!

I planned on making Kinnicknick lake on day two, but with my visit, the detours, and beautiful views, I didn't get far. This is the beginning of Section 4 HWY 260 to Winona. Typo alert. The detail maps are marked incorrectly on my Butler Map. Detail map 8, and 9 are switched.

The Mogollon rim is awesome.

It was about 4:30PM, and I decided to call it a day. I wanted to sleep in the forest again. camp was on the side of the road on FS 139A

Day #2 Total: 170.5 Miles in 5:05.

Day #3 - Left camp at 8:10.
Riding was super fun, and I can tell that I'm heading out of the forest, and down towards Long Lake. Come around a corner, and the road is closed. Didn't expect that!

Didn't see a quick fix on the map, so just rode around the sign, and crossed up stream. It was easy, and I didn't make a mess of anything. Just follow my tracks, and you'll be fine.

I've spent time in the Sedona/ Flag area mountain biking, and was really looking forward to crossing the 87, and riding the big high country mesa on my way to Winona.
Here's my first Glimpse of the San Francisco peaks outside of Flagstaff

This turned out to be the most miserable part of the ride.

Ruts, and baby head rocks with 2 inches of silt make for some tough going. Looks easy, but was a total slog in 80+ degree weather. Here's a pic of how easy it looks..

Finally got to Winona, and was hot, hungry, and tired. Nothing a little lunch won't fix. Highly recommend these burritos. No aftershock either.

Leaving Winona full of gas, water, and snacks, I was optimistic that the trail would improve. Luckily it did. Still tricky, but nowhere near as bad as before.. The road changed from silt, and rocks to Cinder cone. It rides like light sand.

Crossed the 89 at around 4:00 with plans to meet up with my buddy Michael, a fellow KLR rider. I road to the 417 to highway 180, and waited for him to find me. We camped just off the road in the Junipers trees.

Here's the carnage from that party. Thanks for the PBR's buddy!

Day #3 Total: 138.5 hard earned rode my ass off miles.

Day#4 - Goal is to finish the ride.

I took off with a splitting headache at 8:10. Michael went back to Flag, and I was once again hopeful that the going would be a bit faster.

This turned out to be some of the best riding on the trip. I played with some antelope, saw wild horses, and deer. Didn't see another person all day.

Oops!

She's not easy to pick up.

I opted to slab it on the 64, and am glad I did. Just such a beautiful ride in to Cameron.

When I got to Cameron, I needed to make it quick. Gas, food, drink, and the Navajo Backcountry use permit. Everyone was so nice.

Roads on the Res were super fast, and desolate.

In no time I was enjoying my sandwich from Cameron, and my last orange from Chuey way down in Southern AZ.

Didn't spend too much time there, I had a lot of miles to cover

Rolled through marble canyon at about 3:00, and was on my last leg of the trip.

Thanks to Elle Dubs Post, I knew I could ride more dirt back to St. George. So I flipped my bike South, rode 4 miles to a turnoff, and rode more awesomeness west to Fredonia.

Rolled in to St. George at about 8:30 where my rental truck was waiting to take me back to San Diego. BTW, St. George to San Diego is $144.00 through Budget truck rentals.

Ride total: 889 Miles.

Until the next ride..

Jeff.

Jeffrocomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
JoeB
Husky Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Very good RR, I enjoyed it.
2013 Husqvarna TR650 Terra.
JoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,345
thanks

for sharing!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
Buddy_Holly
Imminent Train Wreck

Oddometer: 1,122
Nice report!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
cdk
Swim Bike Run

Oddometer: 26
Sounds like fun! Thanks for the ride report
cdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
THB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrocomb View Post
.....This turned out to be the most miserable part of the ride.

Ruts, and baby head rocks with 2 inches of silt make for some tough going. Looks easy, but was a total slog in 80+ degree weather. Here's a pic of how easy it looks..

Those are the road that I learned to drive on when I was 10 years old and out deer hunting with dad and grandpa. Gramps always used to say what I good driver I was.....because I hit EVERY rock.
2003 Yamaha YZ250
THB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #8
bhb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Excellent first post and RR!
bhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:28 AM   #9
caljw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Nice RR...next time I wanna go!
2005 DRZ400s
caljw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #10
MissingFrame
Photog & Filmmaker

Oddometer: 11
Great ride report buddy! Glad we got to meet up for a fun night of camping.
See you next time around...
Old 04-17-2014, 08:00 AM   #11
bete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Thumb

U done good.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #12
OldtimerTC
XR650L

Oddometer: 885
Great RR

Thanks for the RR Jeff. A group of us are going to try and go end to end on the BDR early May. Hoping the temps stay relatively cool until then.
Member COHVO
OldtimerTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #13
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,545
Great stuff in my back yard. Thanks for sharing
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #14
Ngwane
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Nice RR

Nice report, wish I could have been there.
Ngwane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #15
Cyclenaut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Nice !!

- John Steinbeck
Cyclenaut is offline   Reply With Quote