Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #151
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Took the Hooligan out for some rounds today. Its looking like the gas gauge is typical scooter gas gauge. It was on full for the first 46.5 miles and then one bar dropped. Within 7 miles down the road another bar dropped. I put a total of 20 miles on it today and lost 3 bars. No fear however as the gauge is reading 3/4's of the way full (I think 12 bars total). However I expect the speed at witch the bars drop off to be more aggressive then the first one.

Just about every motorcycle I have owned with a gas gauge behaves similarly. I guess with every new bike I buy I have hopes that the gas gauge is a bit more true but it has not happened yet. No big deal!

The cool thing is I have gone 65 miles and its still on 3/4 tank of gas (at least the reading). My Super 8 would go from full to empty in 65 miles. This is most likely because the Hooligan has a larger gas tank more so then actual MPG improvement but its nice to see I don't need to stop for gas every other day.

One feature I have started to really like on the Hooligan is the hand grips. They are really nothing special except they are fatter in the middle then on the ends. They just seem easier on the hands compared to conventional grips.

Swapped the Hooligan for my SH150i. Other then perhaps a bit more torque down low I feel the SH150i is both quicker and faster. Likely just that water cooled vs air cooled thing and the SH150i is an exceptionally quick scooter for a 150. Obviously need to break in the Hooligan a bit more before final judgement is reached. However I think its likely the Hooligan will not match the SH150i.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:27 AM   #152
Oldenuftaknowbetter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
The consensus over at Modern Buddy is that Buddys and other PGO-built Genuine scoots don't start to run their strongest until they hit 1000 miles or so.

My own experience with my Buddy 170i bears this out.
Oldenuftaknowbetter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:49 PM   #153
RedArrow
If only the moon

Oddometer: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldenuftaknowbetter View Post
The consensus over at Modern Buddy is that Buddys and other PGO-built Genuine scoots don't start to run their strongest until they hit 1000 miles or so.

My own experience with my Buddy 170i bears this out.

Oldenuftaknowbetter ~

Hey, I had to come here just to say you have the longest name I have ever seen!

Amazing!

~ Red
RedArrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #154
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Oldenuftaknowbetter ~

Hey, I had to come here just to say you have the longest name I have ever seen!

Amazing!

~ Red
Then I guess it's a good thing I didn't go with: Oldenuftaknowbetterbutdoesn't

Old 06-29-2014, 06:22 AM   #155
ScooterDogMom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
My Hooligan Review

I rode a Hooligan recently and did a little review of my experience if you're interested:

http://www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com/
2010 Honda Elite 110
ScooterDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #156
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterDogMom View Post
I rode a Hooligan recently and did a little review of my experience if you're interested:

http://www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com/
Thanks for posting your review. Some of the minor issues you noticed I also noticed like the speedometer. Its not bad but I would prefer a different arrangement. I guess with the scooter targeting youth its engineered to suit their desires. I quickly learned to live with it and its fine!

Not much riding the past 4 days. We have had some weather drama and the few nice streaks we had I was at work. Next week is looking impressive so I hope to be back on the Hooligan ASAP. Need to get the dealer fill out of the gas tank and my own recipe in the tank. Also very curious what read I get MPG wise.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #157
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Now at 85 miles. Tires are scrubbing in nicely and pushed it just a tad. It handles fairly good with no bad habits so far. Tires are still a bit slick but that should be improving very shortly

Gas gauge is definitely dropping fast and its now at a half tank. I suspect I will be filling up at about 120 miles witch is typical scooter range.

Also found a speed trailer in Brier that I have found to be more accurate then most. At in indicated 35 MPH it showed my speed as 30 MPH. So it seems typical Genuine being off about 5 MPH. I imagine at faster speeds that difference increases a bit.

Also hit some rough areas with half @ss road construction. I was forced to go a bit faster because of the gigantic truck riding my butt. It took all those road imperfections in stride. We are talking 4" deep chunks of asphalt cut away in spots. No bottoming out and no frame flexing that I noticed.

I think its safe to say this scooter is very solidly built.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #158
AMAC1680
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
Now at 85 miles. Tires are scrubbing in nicely and pushed it just a tad. It handles fairly good with no bad habits so far. Tires are still a bit slick but that should be improving very shortly

Gas gauge is definitely dropping fast and its now at a half tank. I suspect I will be filling up at about 120 miles witch is typical scooter range.

Also found a speed trailer in Brier that I have found to be more accurate then most. At in indicated 35 MPH it showed my speed as 30 MPH. So it seems typical Genuine being off about 5 MPH. I imagine at faster speeds that difference increases a bit.

Also hit some rough areas with half @ss road construction. I was forced to go a bit faster because of the gigantic truck riding my butt. It took all those road imperfections in stride. We are talking 4" deep chunks of asphalt cut away in spots. No bottoming out and no frame flexing that I noticed.

I think its safe to say this scooter is very solidly built.
Thank you sir that's what I'm looking for!

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #159
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Road the Hooligan around today. It was pretty tough going with lots of unpredictably odd Holiday traffic made even worse by a record amount of road construction going on. I find it so odd that every initiative sent to the voter dealing with funding for road construction was declined yet they do it anyway.

I was pretty much forced to ride all back roads as every major arterial was grid locked. At least I learned a few new short cuts today!

The Hooligan was being a tad strange today. However most of it is probably normal and likely more me being extra picky. It was a very warm day today. It was in the low 90's and on the street likely over 100F over the pavement. The Hooligan ran fine today but it felt a little slower then what I have noticed. Some bikes do have a little less power in warm air but its not something I have ever really noticed. I did hit a 60 indicated today and it was not bothered by that speed.

Also noticed something else that is not likely much of a concern. Engine was fully warm and running normally. At a traffic light when the engine was idling I herd and felt a slight misfire. The ECU kicked up the rpm slightly and stayed up for a few miles and lights but after that it settled back to normal. Likely behaving like it should and it could be just about anything causing the misfire.

The tank of fuel seems to be holding up. Now at 116 miles with 3 bars still showing. Those are either going to drop like a brick or I will be looking for fuel at about the 150 mile mark. I think its 1.8 gallon tank.

So far really digging this scoot. My first bike of choice today was my CRF250L but then I quickly realized I needed some storage space to carry some stuff I was picking up today. So I had to go with a scooter and the Hooligan was the scooter currently in Queue.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #160
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

I had to fill up today. Unfortunately the gas gauge sunk faster then the Titanic once it hit 3 bars. Part of it could be the hills we have in the area and it bounced between the last bar blinking and 2 bars on my way to the gas station. Fortunately it looks like I had at least a half gallon left so no real immediate danger of running out of fuel.

My first reading on fuel economy is a very respectable 88.67 MPG. I traveled 129 miles on the dealer fill and it took 1.45 gallons. I expect the next few tanks will improve a slight amount. Maybe or maybe not. It just depends if the dealer slammed it when they added gas. I doubt they did though!

Also a feature on the Hooligan I absolutely fell in love with. The location of the fuel door is about as convenient as it gets. No door to open and you just pull up to the pump and turn the key clock wise and it pops open the fuel door. Insert the pump and fill up until it shuts off. The filler neck is well designed and its pretty much full once the pump shuts off unlike a lot of bikes and scooters. I was able to add maybe another few ounces. Very easy and fast plus no stress on my bad back.

Some bikes you have to open a fuel door. Then insert your key into the gas cap and pop it off. Then you bend over in a awkward and fuel the bike slowly and then when the pump shuts off you slowly add another half gallon. Its not uncommon to spill a little extra fuel and make a mess with these setups. The Hooligan is super simple and stress free in comparison.

BTW, be careful out there. Its that typical pre Holiday chaos. I was doing 40 in a 35 and got passed by a Ford Freestyle van thing in a no pass zone. The car did not have the room and I got cut off forcing me to take evasive action. You would have thought the soccer mom would have figured it out but she hazardously passed another car and a dump truck nearly cutting off the dump truck. She obviously did not make up for any time because we both got stopped at the next light where I proceeded to give her the bird and a few choice words. She cussed back because she claimed I was going so slow!

Its getting to the point that we need to ban national Holidays. The sheeple can't handle it!
Old 07-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #161
Rajah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
So I just picked up a Hooligan and I thought I'd share my experience.

My wife took her lance havana 150 into our local service shop for service and I followed her down to pick her up. This was on the floor and mentioned to my wife I liked it and next thing you know I was signing papers. I picked it up for 3599 + tax.

But we've had a Lance/SYM for a while and I really like it. I have not looked at the Cabo yet. So when I compare the to a Lance, I'm basing it mainly on the PCH on which the Cabo is based. I don't have any prior Genuine experience because the Buddy was too small. The Hooligan is subjectively a little smaller than the Havana but it feels significantly bigger than the Buddy. I'm not going to look up numbers because I don't care, but the Hooligan feels pretty good to me at 6'2".

Whether the Hooligan is 'worth' an extra $1100 is a subjective decision, but the parts are there IMO to support the cost and I'll break that down. If you want a $2300 scooter, that's cool by me, my point is just that I can see what you get for your money. I didn't look at any big wheel scooters.

Suspension and ride: the suspension on the Hooligan is great. It is firm but not harsh. It is much easier to hustle than the Havana and PCH. Having worked on improving suspension on other cycles, that's worth at least a couple hundred there to get them equal. It also handles forest service roads OK.

Brakes: for a scooter, the Hooligan brakes are absolutely excellent. I can't put a straight up dollar amount over the Lance's I've ridden with the rear drum but I see the brakes as being a pretty significant upgrade.

Fueling: carb vs FI, I'm not FI uber alles, but it's a nice feature and it does fire up quickly. FI does add some value.

Details: the Hooligan is much better detailed out. For instance, you look at the rear brake line and it is stainless, but it is also nicely routed. It basically just looks a little more high end in the details. I'd put it against a Honda for detailing. The gas cap not being under the seat is a bonus, I hate getting gas drops on papers, etc. The floor net straddles the line between feature and gimmick so I guess that depends on how much crap you carry on your floorboard. The 12v plug in is great because I can leave my GPS plugged in (that's $50-100 right there). The under seat storage is at least 30% bigger than the Havana.
Rajah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #162
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
So I just picked up a Hooligan and I thought I'd share my experience.

My wife took her lance havana 150 into our local service shop for service and I followed her down to pick her up. This was on the floor and mentioned to my wife I liked it and next thing you know I was signing papers. I picked it up for 3599 + tax.

But we've had a Lance/SYM for a while and I really like it. I have not looked at the Cabo yet. So when I compare the to a Lance, I'm basing it mainly on the PCH on which the Cabo is based. I don't have any prior Genuine experience because the Buddy was too small. The Hooligan is subjectively a little smaller than the Havana but it feels significantly bigger than the Buddy. I'm not going to look up numbers because I don't care, but the Hooligan feels pretty good to me at 6'2".

Whether the Hooligan is 'worth' an extra $1100 is a subjective decision, but the parts are there IMO to support the cost and I'll break that down. If you want a $2300 scooter, that's cool by me, my point is just that I can see what you get for your money. I didn't look at any big wheel scooters.

Suspension and ride: the suspension on the Hooligan is great. It is firm but not harsh. It is much easier to hustle than the Havana and PCH. Having worked on improving suspension on other cycles, that's worth at least a couple hundred there to get them equal. It also handles forest service roads OK.

Brakes: for a scooter, the Hooligan brakes are absolutely excellent. I can't put a straight up dollar amount over the Lance's I've ridden with the rear drum but I see the brakes as being a pretty significant upgrade.

Fueling: carb vs FI, I'm not FI uber alles, but it's a nice feature and it does fire up quickly. FI does add some value.

Details: the Hooligan is much better detailed out. For instance, you look at the rear brake line and it is stainless, but it is also nicely routed. It basically just looks a little more high end in the details. I'd put it against a Honda for detailing. The gas cap not being under the seat is a bonus, I hate getting gas drops on papers, etc. The floor net straddles the line between feature and gimmick so I guess that depends on how much crap you carry on your floorboard. The 12v plug in is great because I can leave my GPS plugged in (that's $50-100 right there). The under seat storage is at least 30% bigger than the Havana.
Nice to see another positive review and a new owner who can share experiences.

Mine is currently out of rotation and I am riding other bikes but I should be back on in it a few weeks or so. Looks like we will see wall to wall sunshine for the foreseeable future so I will be changing bikes often.

Currently in rotation is the PCX125, Forza 300, Elite 110 and my V-Strom 1000. As soon as these bikes get empty and fueled up I will be riding the Zuma 125, Silverwing 600 and the Burgman 200.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #163
Rajah
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
Nice to see another positive review and a new owner who can share experiences.

Mine is currently out of rotation and I am riding other bikes but I should be back on in it a few weeks or so. Looks like we will see wall to wall sunshine for the foreseeable future so I will be changing bikes often.

Currently in rotation is the PCX125, Forza 300, Elite 110 and my V-Strom 1000. As soon as these bikes get empty and fueled up I will be riding the Zuma 125, Silverwing 600 and the Burgman 200.
Wow, quite a collection.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #164
Rajah
Gnarly Adventurer

After riding this thing around for a week and a half, I want to give another mini review.

This scooter has some features that make it look like it's supposed to be going against the Zuma. It's really not.

First off, the floor is relatively low. The tires are maxxis sport road tire. The suspension is relatively stiff. And there is a low mounted oil cooler right behind the front wheel with minimal protection if you start throwing rocks.

What this scooter does is handle. As everything has broken in I find this scooter to be a great little corner carver compared to others I have ridden. You can really get after it. I've had it on a forest service road (first place I went) and it did ok, but when I get after it on a windy road it really seems to come to life. Is a 'sports-scooter' an oxymoron?
Old 07-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #165
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
Saw this in person today. I really like it. But they said $4k out the door, possibly down to 3k with my buddy 125 as a trade in. The underseat storage does not look like it is deep enough for a ff helmet, I can get my medium in the buddy no big deal. I like the super flat floor to haul extra stuff. It looks a lot meaner than my buddy. Id like to test ride as I cant imagine this thing pulls as well as my modded buddy. No kickstarter kind of sucks too as I was in the place to buy a battery since I left my key on in the buddy. Kicks right over though.