2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:35 PM   #152
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
I got it and its home.

I arrived at the dealership at about 2:30pm. The final touches on the PDI were being completed so I had to wait a few minutes. During that time I had some cold bottled water and took a look at the Zero line of motorcycles. I tell you the Zero bikes are starting to impress me more and more. Especially the DS model. I had visions of one day buying one and planing a trip down the West Coast and eventually ending up in Santa Cruz. The birthplace of Zero motorcycles. With an advertised range of around 150 to 160 miles it could be done as long you plan your stops with an electrical outlet and time to charge. Then I read the fine print. Its 150 to 160 miles City but on the highway its 60 to 80 miles if you are lucky. This is for the fully optioned battery version. So depending on how fast you go and the terrain the range is really very minimal. So in reality these are really best as commuters. They also filthy expensive and the one I was looking at was about $17K. I had a bit of time to work the numbers and it would take 17 years for it to be worth it. I did not even factor in new tires so maybe more like 20 years.

They say sales of the Zero bikes are up a 1,000%. This is of coarse from next to nothing sales numbers so twice as much as nothing is still nothing. Still its obvious what we will all be riding in the future. I figure if they can get the price well under $10K and get the real world range up to 250 to 300 miles and take half the time to fully charge they will be worth it!

Right now I see them as a very expensive toy that is not yet ready for prime time. Zero making progress though and they seem like real motorcycles now instead of adult versions of kids electric toys sold at Toys R Us.

Back to the Hooligan. By the time I was done checking out the Zero's my Hooligan was ready for a test ride. It had exactly 1 mile on the clock and they said only the mechanic road it around the dealer a few times. Tires were still very new. It started right up thanks to the fuel injection. First thing I noticed was how throaty the exhaust was. In fact I would say its a hair loud for a stock exhaust. Makes me wonder if it passes the EPA noise limits. My guess is it probably does its just set for a lower tone then most stock exhaust out there. I found the engine to idle fairly smoothly. Its by no means the model of smoothness but it does not shake dental fillings like a lot of scooters do.

Being brand spanking new its obvious everything in the drive line is smooth and not yet broken in. So acceleration was not very brisk and it took a lot of revs to get it going off the line. Once moving it did just fine. After about 2 miles on the test ride I could already tell the transmission bits were wearing in better.

Ride quality seems pretty good. Its not silky Vespa or soft Honda smooth but I did not notice anything annoying. Its certainly not harsh like the Super 8 is. I did notice some plastic rattle type sounds going over bumps but it was not obnoxious by any means and most other scooters do it as well if you listen. Once not listening for it I did not really notice the sound. It seems to take some pretty gnarly road imperfections without any sort of frame flexing so its safe to assume the frame is sturdy.

Handling I could not really put it through its paces because the tires are still brand new. It seems the suspension is well setup though so I suspect once the tires are broken in it will handle as good as most other scooters.

Brakes are not yet fully seated but so far they seem to work great. Its very obvious you have plenty of stopping power. They feel a lot like the brakes on the SportCity 250 but take more effort to squeeze is all. Its possible as they break in the braking effort will improve.

The fastest I went during the test ride was about 45 MPH indicated. The scooter did not seem to show any sign of stress at that speed. I would imagine it will pull right up to its maximum speed and run at that speed all day long. The real limitation is likely gearing then power.

When I arrived back at the dealership I hesitated for a few seconds but then decided to take it. They know me so they did not try anything crazy but were not willing to discount the bike much. It is after all full riding season and this is a brand new model that is currently a bit rare. I bet not for long though.

My OTD price was pretty close to $3300. I got $900 credit for my 09 Super 8 on trade witch was exactly what I paid for it back in November. I tried to nickle and dime them but it was pretty much take it or leave it. Odds are I can wait until the fall and save a few hundred but having the rest of the Summer to enjoy it is worth the small premium of getting it now.

After negotiating and being at the dealer for 3 hours it was time to ride home and literally park it for the next week and half. Vacation starts tomorrow sadly but at least the new scooter will constantly be on my mind.

The ride home was a short 7 or 8 miles. However in that time the engine continued to loosen up and the transmission was getting more responsive. I really think it will be a pretty solid runner once fully broken in.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:47 AM   #153
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Well you get the 'early adopter' award here; at least for the Hooligan! Hope you're able to put some miles on it this summer and continue to give us updates on it. Pictures too! Congrats!

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Old 06-12-2014, 05:23 AM   #154
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Congrats !
I thought I was quick on the trigger. Hope it's all you want it to be.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #155
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Only thing that sucks is I literally road it home and placed it in the garage and spent no more time with it. Reason is I am starting my vacation later today. I will be back on it the 22nd and hopefully full time.

Spent a bit of time researching PGO scooters. Wow they make a lot of funky stuff but are considered very high quality. Piaggio helped them out back in the day. I guess that is why they use a similar (if not the same) oil filter as the Piaggio products do. The styling also seems a bit different as well compared to many other Asian scooters. Almost a hint of Italian in many of the designs even though the deal wit Piaggio expired 30 years ago.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #156
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Finely after a week and half on vacation things are slowly returning to normal. Just have to entertain my friend for another half day then its off to the airport.

First thing I will be doing when I get back home is jumping the Hooligan so I can go to work. Its been a painful time waiting for the opportunity to ride!

Kind of a funny and crazy thing happened literally the day I was leaving. My Grom showed up and the owner apparently had a list of potential buyers and no patients. So it was buy it that morning or wait for the next batch. I told them can we do this deal in 3 hours? I did most of the negotiating over the phone and then road my Agility 125 over for trade and sign the paperwork. Since I was on the run I had them deliver it. It showed up about an 2 hours before heading to the airport.

The deal with the Grom was about as expected. They did not want to budge on price and started with exaggerated fees but I quickly terminated that. All I had to mention is "Honda says $125" on its website and it quickly went to that. They also gave generously on my trade. Agility 125's are worth peanuts especially on wholesale but I squeezed $1300 out of them. Out the door for the Grom was $2,800. Before the trade credit it was $4,100.

I have not even touched the Grom yet. Tonight its Hooligan and tomorrow will the Grom.

The day I was signing paper work I asked about an ETA for the 2015 PCX150? It was not on the last order form surprisingly so it now seems a little unlikely it will be showing up in July but sometimes they still can. The owner thought August was a little more likely at this point. I don't really care at this point and the extra month will give me time to break in the Hooligan and the Grom.

The PCX is the last piece of the puzzle and I will hang low for the foreseeable future and focus on other things.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #157
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,087
Longhaul, have you ever broken in a bike?

Looking forward to the Hooligan report.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #158
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Longhaul, have you ever broken in a bike?

Looking forward to the Hooligan report.
Oh yeah I have broken in plenty. I usually end up keeping a bike around for a long time but I did have a few scooters recently that I parted with. Some of them regretfully.

Anyways road the Hooligan into work. I really like the size of the 170cc engine. Its small enough to be light and nimble but seems large enough to really get around. It does not feel PCX fast (yet) but the engine seems a lot less busy in normal riding. Hills seem to be a non issue with this scooter in normal riding situations so far.

The engine also seems to be loosening up nicely. Compared to how it was on the test ride it seems to be a lot looser now. I expect this improvement to continue for at least the first few hundred miles. It just might beat the PCX once broken in but only time will tell.

Also the stock exhaust sounds incredibly throaty. Really a nice sounding stock exhaust system. Seems a bit loud but it does meet current EPA regulations so they say.

Still breaking in the tires. Before riding it into work I decided to check the tires. According to 2 gauges and the gauge on my air compressor the tires were set at 20 PSI. According to the manual and the tire info on the bike the recommended pressure is 30 PSI. I would really like to know why dealers never seem to put the proper amount of air in the tires? Seems every bike I buy has underinflated tires. I set them for 32 PSI front and rear and will give that a try.

Suspension is a bit firm but I find it very compliant over bumps and road imperfections. Its hard to push it until the tires get more broken in but so far they are much improved from the first ride. Tires are Maxxis and I believe these are a fairly good quality tire.

The speedometer seems a bit off. I passed by one of those trailer radar things on the side of the road. At an indicated 38 MPH it says I was going 31 MPH. It is set on MPH or least the dash says so.

Also have 34 miles on the clock now and the gas gauge has not moved yet. This is fairly scooter typical but its nice to see the dealer at least topped it off. It will probably start to drop at the 40 to 60 mile mark then go fast after that.

Oh the brakes....They are seating in nicely and it stops really well with lots of good feel. I think Genuine spent some money on the brake hardware and maybe the suspension is a step above as well.

I noticed no discomfort with the seat. It actually feels very comfortable and seem to have any pressure points so far.

Tomorrow I will try and get a few pictures. Maybe a few next to the Grom and then a few next to the Burgman 400 for the sense of scale. It larger then a Zuma 125 but its not exactly a huge scooter by any means. Really just a typical 150 - 200cc sized scoot.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #159
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 657
if you were riding around lake sammammish, those radar speed indicators read at least 5 mph too low.

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #160
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
if you were riding around lake sammammish, those radar speed indicators read at least 5 mph too low.
Close it was in Kirkland. It will take some more trial and error to see exactly how much it is off. The dealer said the Genuine's are all off about 5 MPH so they thought the Hooligan would be the same.

Short shift tonight. Just got home and my first ride in the dark. Not really anything new to report. I will add that the headlight(s) is pretty high average and work well but not as well as Honda does on many of its scooters but worlds better then the Piaggio and Kymco scooters I had. The lighting is nice and bright but its throw is relatively short. I think Honda's have about the best headlights in the industry. My PCX, Elite 110 and the SH150i all have a lot of light with a good solid throw. My Elite 110 will light up a whole roadway and throw light a good 300' in front of the scooter.

The instrumentation despite looking a bit low budget during the day looks pretty cool at night. The tachometer has a bright blue streak glow as the tachometer moves around. Overall its pretty easy to read and use but I guess I am getting old. I would prefer the instrumentation to be reversed. The big dial being an analog speedometer and the little digits being a rpm gauge.

Now at 44 miles the fuel gauge has not moved. Just a tad nervous that its not actually full and the gauge is bunk but I think its just being typical scooter is all.

Oh I did notice a bit of cold blooded tendencies I have not noticed before as I pulled out of our parking garage at work. Just a wee bit of hesitation and stutters as I was riding out but after a 1/4 mile down the road it was fine. Its nothing like most carbed scooters would be like and almost a non issue. It is after all air cooled so even with the wonders of fuel injection some chop when cold is to be expected.

One stretch of road in the area is 45 MPH but everyone does 50+ on. The scooter had no problem maintaining 55 MPH indicated but it seemed a bit stiff at that speed. I think it will need a bit more break in before it loosens up and will be comfortable at that speed. Probably won't do any high speed runs until it has at least a few hundred miles on it.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:57 AM   #161
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Great update! Looking forward to pictures. Sounds like you are pretty happy with the overall package. Anything in particular where it has disappointed you? Seems like a neat little scooter.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Old 06-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #162
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Great update! Looking forward to pictures. Sounds like you are pretty happy with the overall package. Anything in particular where it has disappointed you? Seems like a neat little scooter.
No so far not really anything I am disappointed with. If I really want to be picky the instrumentation looks a little cut rate but its actually pretty cool. Especially at night. It is kind of hard to read the MPH though because its so small.

Also another nit pick is a question of fluid specs. Really the Hooligan is a conventional scooter and not a lot different then any other CVT based scooter. However they spec a 15W-40 or 15W-50 oil for the engine and they want a 85W-140 in the final drive witch is so thick they don't even sell it in my market because we are always on the colder side of things. Browsing the Modern Buddy website I came to the consensus that any quality 10W-40 will do just fine and unless you live in Arizona the 80W-90 gear oil will work just fine. In fact some of even used the motor oil in the final drive on the Genuine's will good results. I think its more so a question of translation then an actual requirement. The Kymco's are the same way!

Also it list no actual time for a valve adjustment interval. It just says "As Needed". Considering how most smaller scoots need fairly frequent valve inspections and adjustment I think it would be wise to check them at 2,000 miles then maybe 6,000 just to see how they are doing. Its probably not hard thing to do on these.

As soon as I get off my lazy butt I will take a few pics. Not riding the Hooligan again today. Its Grom time and then I need to fill up the Burgman 400 and then swap it for the Forza 300 tonight. I got to many scoots but that is strictly my personal problem..LOL
Old 06-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #163
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Took the Grom out for its inaugural run this morning. It actually impressed me more then I thought it would. In the 0-50 MPH range it gets a long just fine and imagine once broken in it will add 10 MPH to that range. Its also incredibly fun to ride. Dare I say it but its one of the funnest bikes I have ever owned. I have not had that sort of exciting fun since I got the Millennium Falcon Star Wars toy for Christmas back in 1978. The Grom is definitely not an every day bike but taking it out for some Sunday fun on the back roads is a real racket. Horn works pretty good as well. Don't ask me how I found out!

No seat time on the Hooligan today but should be back on it tomorrow.

Did take a few awful last second pictures as I was sorting the garage. One picture is next to the Burgman 400 and the other next to the Grom. The Burgman 400 towers over the Hooligan but the Hooligan towers over the Grom. Does not help much but should show the Hooligan is definitely in the middle size wise. As time goes on I hope to get some pictures out there on the road but I am a bit camera shy and never think to pull out the camera and shoot a pic of the bike.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #164
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Looks nice! For some reason I was thinking you had chosen a flat black one. I like the green.

You've traded and bought so many scooters in the past 6 months, can you remind me what all you have currently in your fleet?

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Old 06-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #165
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post

I have the same lift that you have on the ground in front of the Hooligan. So far i like what you have to say about this scooter. It could be the replacement for my super 8 in a couple of years. Unless of course something better comes out before then. I'm interested in what the top speed will be once you have it broken in.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote