Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #31
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The matte black panels on the Zuma do not appear to be painted. They are just made of textured black plastic like all the other black parts of the bike. A few parts are shiny black, like the front fender and hand guards, but they are also just plastic with the color molded in. Only painted parts seem to be the frame and wheels. I don't think it will wear down like paint. These panels were really cheap. All three of them only cost me $53 including shipping.

I love the idea of a larger Zuma, as long as they keep it in scale. For some reason it seems like scooters get longer as the displacement goes up. It should be a perfect sport scooter with some street oriented tires. I just have to be careful not to get into the scooter mod scene, and wind up spending thousands of dollars on it.
Hmm, I always thought they were still painted just in a matte finish instead of a gloss. Not really 100% certain though. Never looked that closely.

Supposedly the odds of a larger Zuma is pretty much not likely but you never know. Its a pretty good seller amd Yamaha may have to come up with something that keeps the Zuma crowd engaged. Upping the displacement could very well do that as long as they keep the price the same.

I remember when the PCX 125 came out and nobody cared. Then the 150 comes out and all of a sudden it starts selling really well. Could just be timing and the PCX was about to fly out the doors anyway without the increased engine size but it certainly looks like it helped sales.

To me the Zuma is pretty close to the perfect scooter except I feel the engine could use a little more power. A 150 might provide that marginal increase helping out greatly. I would also trust Yamaha's 150 putting out similar power that Genuine is getting out of its 170 engine. I can't explain how technically just that Japanese mojo they are capable of.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:07 AM   #32
AMAC1680
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
That is the color of my Zuma 125 and I love it. For the most part I am pretty happy with the Zuma 125. Could use a bit more power but it is what it is.

I think it would be totally cool if Yamaha put out a Mega Zuma (hey that works..LOL) with a 200+ cc engine and maybe slightly larger frame. Sort of Yamaha's take on the Big Ruckus. Problem is they would probably have to charge a lot of cash for it. Then again with scoots like the Forza 300 coming out with lower MSRP then its replacement from 12 years ago anything is possible.

My only concern for the matte finishes is they may not take wear really well. I have seen a few bikes with matte finishes on the tank and it has warn through in some spots and in others has a funny glossy look that does not match the rest. I think its a legitimate concern for someone who really uses a bike with a matte finish. For me though its not much of an issue.

FINELY...after what seems like ages we will be getting steady nice weather. So I hope to get some more ride reports on some of my newer bikes. I also hope to take a trip down to Seattle Cycle Center and take a look at the latest Kymco, Sym and Lance scooters. Really want to go all fuel injection and I am almost there and that limits things. However it would still be worth a look.

They also have some new old stock scoots that are going for pretty reasonable prices.
That should be a concern. The matte finish on my SYM RV200 is very unforgiving. It doesn't take much to scrape thru to the white plastic base and touch-up work requires a color coat then a clear.

I love that scooter but would be happy if it had a traditional finish.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:42 AM   #33
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
The matte black panels on the Zuma do not appear to be painted. They are just made of textured black plastic like all the other black parts of the bike. A few parts are shiny black, like the front fender and hand guards, but they are also just plastic with the color molded in. Only painted parts seem to be the frame and wheels. I don't think it will wear down like paint. These panels were really cheap. All three of them only cost me $53 including shipping.

I love the idea of a larger Zuma, as long as they keep it in scale. For some reason it seems like scooters get longer as the displacement goes up. It should be a perfect sport scooter with some street oriented tires. I just have to be careful not to get into the scooter mod scene, and wind up spending thousands of dollars on it.
Jerry-

Plasti dip is the way to go to get flat colored parts. Why? Because flat paint doesn't wear well, and sooner or later you may want something different. Plasti Dip peels off so you can return to your original finish for resale or whatever. And you can then change it to whatever color you want to try out, or return to the stock color. Check out the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8zGCMSWl6g This guy has lots of videos doing high end cars. Looks like a lot of fun, and you can get everything you need to do the job from this site. Be sure you watch them pulling the Plasti Dip off of cars already coated. Cool Beans.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:45 AM   #34
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,661
I know that a lot of people like matte black and a lot of bikes in the showrooms today are that color but to me it just looks like they put on some primer and forgot to paint it. IMO it's FUGLY and I would never buy a bike in that color.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:46 AM   #35
AMAC1680
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I know that a lot of people like matte black and a lot of bikes in the showrooms today are that color but to me it just looks like they put on some primer and forgot to paint it. IMO it's FUGLY and I would never buy a bike in that color.
Agreed bring back shiny bikes!
I also swore I'd never buy black much less matte but while looking for leftovers I was made an offer I couldn't refuse.

If it gets to looking ratty I'll sell it to a kid and he'll cover it in stickers anyway.....

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #36
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAC1680 View Post
Agreed bring back shiny bikes!
I also swore I'd never buy black much less matte but while looking for leftovers I was made an offer I couldn't refuse.

If it gets to looking ratty I'll sell it to a kid and he'll cover it in stickers anyway.....

Be Big,
AMAC
I guess I have bought a few bikes in colors I wasn't crazy about because they were such a great deal.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #37
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,850
The problem with shiny is that it scratches real easy. And dark colors seem to show scratches a lot more than light colors. I'm pretty none of the plastic parts on the Zuma 125 are painted, they are the same color on both sides. The matte black side and front panels should be the same as the inner leg shield, rear fender, and that panel below the front of the seat you remove to get to the valve covers. My white panels are white on both sides and the edges. Definitely no paint. Kinda like Tupperware.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #38
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Quote:
The problem with shiny is that it scratches real easy. And dark colors seem to show scratches a lot more than light colors. I'm pretty none of the plastic parts on the Zuma 125 are painted, they are the same color on both sides. The matte black side and front panels should be the same as the inner leg shield, rear fender, and that panel below the front of the seat you remove to get to the valve covers. My white panels are white on both sides and the edges. Definitely no paint. Kinda like Tupperware.
Jerry you find something to complain about no matter what.

Thank you for being something that can be counted on.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #39
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
Jerry you find something to complain about no matter what.

Thank you for being something that can be counted on.
I don't see how complaining about a finish on a scooter that doesn't hold up well is an issue. Besides, someone else already beat me to it. Please explain the reason for your post.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #40
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Stopped by the Genuine dealer today to see if anything has updated? Seems like a giant case of "You know, I just don't know!". Supposedly its still supposed to ship like any day now but its not officially shipping until it ships. When the dealer ask Genuine directly they get pretty much nothing official. The dealer knows nothing more then we do at this point. They don't even have final specs yet.

I sense a level of concern if they will ever actually see it but I am sure at this point it will come just a question of when? When I told them the Hooligan 170 on paper looks to be the same size as a Zuma they seemed a bit unhappy as they were hoping for something a little larger.

This all just jibber jabber and nobody knows anything witch is not really unusual in this business. So the waiting game continues!
Old 04-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #41
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
I thought I read somewhere that the release was pushed back to late May? Am I making that up? Maybe on ModernBuddy...

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #42
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the release was pushed back to late May? Am I making that up? Maybe on ModernBuddy...
I have been following Modern Buddy pretty closely and did not see anything like this. Not saying it was not discussed someplace on that forum though. I do agree though looking at the calender the end of May seems a little more likely at this point.

Today I did give an official verbal "letter of intent" to purchase a Red Grom when one shows up. My status with the dealer is such that my position is guaranteed and I get first pickings. This will hold as they continue to get Red Grom's in if I so choose to forfeit that delivery.

The timing of the Grom will depend on if I actually go through the Hooligan 170i.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:51 PM   #43
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Quote:
I don't see how complaining about a finish on a scooter that doesn't hold up well is an issue. Besides, someone else already beat me to it. Please explain the reason for your post.
You are a chronic...complainer. Bellyaching about things eventually wearing out, aging, the cost of parts you dont actually need etc. Unless, of course its a bike YOUVE hitched your wagon to....then it's "character"!

Youre consistent....you never miss an opportunity to complain/worry/wring your hands in angst over an eventuality which may or may not even affect you.

Thats the reason for my post.

For the record....I had a Genuine Blackjack for 3 years with essentially the same flat black finish as the Hooligan appears to have and had zero issues with maintenance or durability-wise. Awesome scooter....lots of 'tude.

gogogordy screwed with this post 04-29-2014 at 08:56 PM
gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #44
Oldenuftaknowbetter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Scooterfile article

http://www.scooterfile.com/scooter-r...hooligan-170i/

No riding impression yet, but a good reveal of just what comes out of the PGO parts bins to build the Hooligan to Genuine specs for the US market.
Oldenuftaknowbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #45
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldenuftaknowbetter View Post
Scooterfile article

http://www.scooterfile.com/scooter-r...hooligan-170i/

No riding impression yet, but a good reveal of just what comes out of the PGO parts bins to build the Hooligan to Genuine specs for the US market.
Just got done reading this article.

Some interesting comments related to size.

"The footprint of a 250cc scooter"

"The under-seat storage on the Hooligan 170i is one of the largest Ive seen on any scooter."

"The under-seat storage on the Hooligan 170i is one of the largest Ive seen on any scooter."

These comments lead me to believe this scooter is in fact much larger then its specs suggest. Hopefully this ends up being the case!

Still nothing on release date but it can't be long now.