User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2014, 12:45 AM   #61
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
The mystery seems to deepen.

I got this piece of info on the modern buddy website earlier in the week.

AF1 Racing down in Texas was getting a direct shipment and thought they would have them as soon as Monday. Pictures were coming as soon as they get them in. Its been 4 days later and nothing new.

Que Twilight Zone music..LOL
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #62
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 749
Look what I saw today in Laguna Beach California today. I did not ask questions or ask for a ride because we were a hurry.

2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #63
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 5,003
Wow, they've added $400 to the price, and that still does not include tax, title, and registration. Here sales sales tax, title and registration would bring it to about $4200 OTD. The local Genuine dealer does not do that, though they might on a brand new model if demand is expected to be high. A Buddy 125 goes OTD for about $100 over MSRP, that is not nearly enough to cover tax, title, and registration, so they are being sold well under MSRP.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #64
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Wow, they've added $400 to the price, and that still does not include tax, title, and registration. Here sales sales tax, title and registration would bring it to about $4200 OTD. The local Genuine dealer does not do that, though they might on a brand new model if demand is expected to be high. A Buddy 125 goes OTD for about $100 over MSRP, that is not nearly enough to cover tax, title, and registration, so they are being sold well under MSRP.
Remember. That is the asking price. Most dealers will negotiate. Sales tax here in Alabama is 3.08% on vehicles. I'd expect to pay around $3400-3600 OTD here.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:50 PM   #65
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 749
I would have to say that standing next to it, it seems pretty small. It is a bit smaller than the HD200 in the background. I believe the name of the place was Beach City Scooters.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:21 PM   #66
AMAC1680
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
I would have to say that standing next to it, it seems pretty small. It is a bit smaller than the HD200 in the background. I believe the name of the place was Beach City Scooters.
I agree. I saw one yesterday and sat on it. It is no bigger than most other 150cc scoots. It was next to a Lance Cabo and they are the same size. Looks good, fit and finish is nice but the price is a bit steep IMO but I haven't ridden one yet.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:57 PM   #67
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
damn that is pricey, cost as much as a PCX150...it needs to be in the $3k range
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:31 PM   #68
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
Look what I saw today in Laguna Beach California today. I did not ask questions or ask for a ride because we were a hurry.

Thank you for the pictures. So far my dealer has not received them or they failed to call me. They seem kind of desperate so I doubt they got them in yet and would not miss an opportunity. I will mention to them that using the 3rd party warehouse adds expense to them and the consumer and delays the shipment unnecessarily.

From what I can see in the pictures fit and finish does look a little better. Still seems a bit down compared to what is coming out of Japan. Also getting very nervous this scooter is on the smaller side of the equation and I would say its safe to assume it is with the latest forum comments.

Its still not out of the picture but I am starting to feel a bit disappointed so far. I also seem to have issues with the price. Even though its priced similarly to the PCX and the Zuma 125 and has a bigger motor I just feel its not worth it. The dealer fees kill it even more so. In part because Genuine is not as big as the big 4 and no matter what dealer support is not as wide spread. I know Genuine is doing a pretty good job and the scoots are good but they just don't have the network at least in my area. My local Genuine dealer is not that far away from blowing in the wind and the next nearest dealer is in downtown Seattle with an even more flaky reputation. Hard to justify the extra cash they want.

When I look at I am also thinking 3K tops plus tax and license and the doc fee everybody hits you with in the area. Anything north of 4K out the door is just way to much.

I have a sneaking suspicion these will end up sitting on dealer sales floors for a long time and eventually will be discounted well below original price. My local Genuine dealer seems to have several versions and models of the Buddy's and most if not all are fairly heavily discounted. No reason to think these will be the same. Might still be a worthy contender if I delay my purchase until Winter when it does not meet sales expectations. Then again maybe it will be a hit and they will be hard to get like a Grom but I doubt it.

Speaking of Grom that is looking like a disappointment as well. Told the Honda dealer my maximum price OTD was $3,987. That is simply MSRP plus Honda documented freight and licensing plus the $150 doc fee. I got a chuckle saying they are selling used on Craigslist for $4,200 to $5,000. I said I will refuse to pay any premium for its rarity. So I have a feeling that one will fade into oblivion.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:21 AM   #69
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,740
I wouldn't consider buying this until it's been out for a while and there has been some time for people to evaluate it and time for any problems to show up. So far it looks like a possibility to replace my Super 8. Since I expect to do that in around 2 years, I have plenty of time. Also it will take some time for the aftermarket to develope stuff for it. For example, being able to mount a tail trunk is a requirement for me. It doesn't come with a luggage rack. Until someone comes out with a rack to mount a tail trunk on, it's not an option for me.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:48 AM   #70
JerryH
Vintage Rider

I actually like it's looks better than the Zuma 125. I like the headlights and front fender better, it doesn't have handguards like a dirt bike, and it doesn't have that looooong rat tail rear fender. And it already has clear turn signals that I paid $50 for for the Zuma. Oh, and it is also 170cc. And if it is the Blur 220 engine instead of the Buddy 170i engine, it shouldn't be overstressed. And comes in solid matte black. Lose the $400 markup, and I would almost certainly choose it over the Zuma or PCX. After it has been proven reliable.
1980 Puch moped
Old 05-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #71
AMAC1680
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Here's my issue.
Top end isn't the real selling point of this scoot and the styling is well, being used by a bunch of companies.

Lance Cabo

Holligan

Someone needs to explain the almost 1100.00 difference.
Just my .02

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #72
JerryH
Vintage Rider

But look at the Zuma 125. MSRP $3390. I own one, but prefer the Hooligan. I actually paid just under $3000 OTD for it, leftover model on sale. The Hooligan has 45cc more, and is actually freeway legal, and looks better (to me) But looks are a subjective thing and really don't count for much. Don't know if there are any problems with the Hooligan or not, but Genuine has a history of high quality. I just can't see myself buying something that said Lance on it. Lance seems to be SYM's bargain basement line. I don't have an issue with SYM's quality, but there seems to be a parts problem at the moment. JMHO, but I think they should have gotten rid of the Lance name. It has a long history as a cheap crappy Chinese scooter, and even if the quality has substantially improved, I think that name will always hurt it's sales. Seems like once a motor vehicle develops a bad reputation, it lasts forever, whether there is a reason for it or not.
1980 Puch moped
Old 05-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #73
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

I guess we will just have to itemize what you get to justify the difference. It is similarly priced to the Zuma 125 and the PCX150 but has more displacement. Enough that it probably runs a lot smoother and has a lot more reserve power. It is freeway legal however I doubt I would ever take it on the freeway for anything more then a quick on and off same lane kind of situation. Against the Hooligan its air cooled so even with an extra 20cc's it will probably not keep up with the PCX150.

Just what sort of hardware do you get? Early on it was mentioned that it would have a rear disc brake and steel braided brake lines. Better brake calipers and a well tuned suspension etc! Did any of this make into the production version?

If its built in Taiwan vs China that might be worth a few bonus points maybe. The built in China stuff supervised by a reputable manufacture is not much different now days.

I agree with JerryH. If you can get it without the silly fees witch would bring it just a few dollars under 4K out the door in my area it might be worth it. However I still feel Genuine is not a strong enough manufacture and does not have the dealer network to go head to head in price against the big guys out of Japan. Somewhere in the equation I feel its over priced by $500 for this reason.

One thing I am finding interesting is even though these are now hitting dealers I don't see any love or honorable mention on the modern buddy website. Its as if the majority that participate on that forum can care less about it. A very likely sign these will be dealer queens and marked down in the future.

I am still reserved and excited and want to see it in the flesh but I am definitely cautious at the moment.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #74
JerryH
Vintage Rider

For the same price OTD, I would likely take it over the Zuma. I would probably not pay more for it unless it's performance turns out to be a lot better. I would not sell my Zuma to buy one. I would not compare it to the PCX150, which to me is more of a small maxi scooter, while the Hooligan/Zuma/Lance have more of an urban assault look, especially in matte black. The Zuma has plenty of power for around town, not enough for the highway, and that is kind of where I draw the line. While freeway legal, which really can be a big advantage if you just need to hop on to get from one rural road to another, I don't see the Hooligan as being freeway capable.

In other words, it is probably something I would buy over the Zuma, but already having a Zuma, not something I would trade up to.
1980 Puch moped
Old 05-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #75
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,543
After reading as much as I an find about the 170i I have one thing that would keep me from getting one. What is the aftermarket support like?

Being able to get a(nother) Zuma 125, and bump it up to 200cc for around $400 tips the scale back to Yamaha for me.